Summer Session(s)

GoZips

Thanks for the report, GoZips. Made me go searching for any summer predictions for the coming college basketball season. Lo and behold, College Sports Madness just filed a report on the Zips, who they're projecting as #124 in the country based on lots of question marks about the young players. They did have nice things to say about Jimond, but of course he won't be playing this season.

Definitely a long distance analysis; I speculate that the Zips finish significantly higher than the #124 ranking and will go out on a limb and barring any significant injuries, play in the MAC Championship game. The big IF's are, PG becomes a strength (Robotham starting by beginning of MAC), Tree shares the ball and the Zips get 12 pts, 10 rebounds per game from the 5. I think this team can become a dominant defensive group if they are willing to embrace the concept and will be similar to the Zips squad of 2-3 years ago where they could rotate players and wear teams down and dominate the final 6 or 7 minutes of games. The Zips won't ever be pretty on Offense but like all KD teams will win with defense. I also trust they are shooting 200 foul shots a day minimum.....all of them.

Definitely a long distance analysis; I speculate that the Zips finish significantly higher than the #124 ranking and will go out on a limb and barring any significant injuries, play in the MAC Championship game. The big IF's are, PG becomes a strength (Robotham starting by beginning of MAC), Tree shares the ball and the Zips get 12 pts, 10 rebounds per game from the 5. I think this team can become a dominant defensive group if they are willing to embrace the concept and will be similar to the Zips squad of 2-3 years ago where they could rotate players and wear teams down and dominate the final 6 or 7 minutes of games. The Zips won't ever be pretty on Offense but like all KD teams will win with defense. I also trust they are shooting 200 foul shots a day minimum.....all of them.

124 is a nice bump from where we finished last season. I absolutely guarantee the zips will finish closer to 75 than 124. Heck, with enough tragic bus accidents they could make that sweet 16 appearance some of our more optimistic brethren have prognosticated in recent years.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL ... #124 is a strange and some what naive analysis. Let's just smile and act like the writer has the Zips pegged.

He doesn't. But, that's good. No need to know. At open gym yesterday the kids have added a new wrinkle.

They played defense with intensity. Far more game like than offense only. I was impressed with the over all

play. The freshmen have already melded into the team concept.

Antino is showing signs of gaining muscles. Noah has been bulking up for some time. The others look really

"buff". Big Dog has slimmed down some; not enough. Just realized that Kwan was not there. What with several

other invited players he got lost in the shuffle.

Deji is playing himself into contention for the starting shooting guard spot. Deji is getting more Jimmy Conners

like by the day. The freshmen points have discovered that Jake and Reggie nail threes like popcorn. Means

plenty of assists on the stat sheet.

Aaron Jackson and BJ Gladden have both made good use of the weight room. They will be major minute

players. Not to be out done, Nyles plays like a senior. I missed seeing Melo as I arrived at 9:45 and the session

started at nine.

The season is still a long way off. The one on one drills resume next week. The coaches have been out on

the recruiting trail. Check Antino's twitter for a tip about a potential future Zip. Good lead.

• Like 1

All of the various RPI rankings showed the Zips in the 90s (93, 96, etc.) at the end of the last season, so #124 to start this season represents a negative bump. Casual evaluators look at the roster and see that the Zips lost two of their top proven players (Q and Nick) with unproven freshmen (BJ, Aaron, Noah and Antino) trying to fill the roles of the departed players plus shore up the weak PG position. Someone would really need to have good inside information about the performance of these freshmen to believe that the Zips would be a top 100 team this season. Kwan, Deji and others will also have to prove themselves this season for the Zips to remain a top 100 team. It won't be easy, but Coach Dambrot has a great track record of keeping the Zips in the top 100 season after season.

124 is about right for this team going into the season. We've got one proven high level player (Tree), a couple of proven solid role-players (Jake and Reggie) and a whole lot of question marks. Basically the rest of the roster is:

Veterans who haven't lived up to their potential:

Betancourt

Ibitayo

Forsythe

Second year players who we haven't seen enough of yet:

Cheatham

Johnson

Freshman and Redshirt Freshman

Antino Jackson

Robotham

Aaron Jackson

Gladden

Ohh, and then there is Nyles Evans.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where you start the season. It matters where you finish it.

Deji is playing himself into contention for the starting shooting guard spot. Deji is getting more Jimmy Conners

like by the day.

Damn, if Akron restarts its men's tennis program, we are set! I dare ask which player is becoming the John McEnroe of the squad? :D Mahalo, GoZips. BTW, I'm not sure what kind of tennis player Jimmy Conyers was...Probably had a big serve.

Summer Session II ended yesterday (for the Zips players). They have headed home for a few days rest.

Even KD went on a short vacation. Here's the latest. Last two practices were held at Central-Hower.

Nearly everyone is healthy. Only Big Dog on limited duty after stepping on Tree's foot during open gym

a couple of weeks ago. Dog sh/be at 100% when practice resumes August 25.

The freshmen have been stellar. This includes the walk-on Malcolm Walters. These kids are jet quick and

shoot the lights out. Was fun to watch Antino and Noah squaring off one on one. Both are excellent defenders.

Sh/be quite a battle for playing time at point guard. Rotation for shooting guard still not decided. IMO, Deji

holds a slight lead thanks to his gritty play; and he scores well.

Reggie and Jake will both get solid minutes. As will Tree, Big Dog and Pat. We just might be a tad better

than that #124 prediction.

Opening the season against high major Southern Cal will be a tall order.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since a Summer Session update.

The players are hitting the weight room with a vengeance. Antino no longer looks like a stick man.

Noah has put on about 15 #. Malcolm bulking up nicely. The older Zips getting in shape with a lot

of running and lifting.

I read that Southern Cal's coach loves the "dunk". Wonder if he will love the "dunks" the Zips will

put on his Trojans?

Is Toledo really the best in the MAC? The Zips will have two chances (maybe three) to prove the

prognosticators wrong.

Long grind to first tip off. Defense showing strong in open gym.

Most pleased with Peter Agba verbal. This is a stud player. Go watch D.I.G. video in another thread.

Hey Kidz, Here is the final Summer Sessions installment.

Thursday will be the final S/S "practice". Friday begins the regular season practices with a "burner" scheduled.

We have a few walking wounded recovering from various "ouchies". Nothing season ending.

All are invited to stop by the Men's Basketball tailgate tent, located at the northwest corner of Infocision.

Stop and say "hello" this season's edition of the Zips Come meet the fabulous freshmen and see the

power muscled players improved over last season. I think you will like the improvements.

Tailgate times are from noon to game time.

• Like 1

@goZips what time is practice tomorrow? What about Saturday?

My apologies. I missed this post. Practice times vary. There was no practice Saturday.

Next scheduled practice is Wednesday, October 9, at 8:30. Start time subject to change.

Please check with a coach prior to attending practice.. This can be same day.