Game #1 Howard Bison

lance99

It is that time of the year again and a week and a half away!

Zips Football starts their campaign against Howard, an FCS school.

Now I will not breakdown the game, because we should know the outcome of this game. However I will ask these questions:

What will the Zips do at the start?

Will Bowden play very close to the vest, knowing full well that they will play Penn State the next week, or open it up for everyone to see?

Will the backups play a ton of time?

Will the defense be top notch(on a side note, is Robinson still on the team?)

Will the team in general take this game seriously being on a Thursday night?

Will Joe and Jane Akron even really care about this game, or even the season?

Will the Zips take full advantage of what they have in front of them?

Discuss.

Seeing Game 1's post makes the excitement for the home opener even more real!

This first game I expect Bowden will play close to the vest, however I do see a little experimentation at WR and RB. From what I've been reading from ZN.O members, and what I've seen, none of the WR corps have been stepping up. A couple of guys have got to step up *cough* MTB1 *cough*. I do expect to see a more productive passing game than we've seen in practice. Our defense is as good as advertised, and hopefully the WR corps will see what they are capable of.

A win against Penn State will get Joe and Jane NE Ohio to pay attention, I absolutely believe that. Everything else will be noise to them. And I do believe the team will take this game seriously. I never thought I'd be able to see it or say it (it still hasn't completely sunk in my own psyche yet) but the culture of this team is changing. The expectations of 1-11's and the "How are we going to lose this time" are changing to expectations of "how are we going to win" and .500+'s. I'm interested to see how well that 4/5, 3-game win streak translates to this season.

I tried to do a little research on the Bison, but found very little information. I did see that their QB is the 2013 MEAC Offensive Player of the Year. I don't know what to expect from the offense. I am not going to get my hopes up too much on that side of the ball. Defensively, I want to see a 1985 Bears type beat down.

• Like 1

Off topic, but I got my Season tickets and NO mention of the $5 jersey offer... anyone know anything?? Thanks!

Can't wait for Kickoff! Go Zips!

. You should call the ticket and ask for your rep. I received my tickets. And the certificates for the replica jerseys. I paid for them when I renewed. Also got the Fear the Roo flag and certificates for seat cushions and $5.00 free.food per.game. All in all, tickets almost paid for with freebies.

The $5 jersey offer was one of the "giveaways" for purchasing season tickets. If you wanted (which wouldn't everyone?) you could pay and additional $5 and get a Zips Jersey. This year's is the Blue Jersey with #7 on it. It looks exactly like the Blue Jersey that the team wears, looks to be made by the same company that made the Basketball Jerseys that were given out to Season Ticket holders.

The $5 jersey offer was one of the "giveaways" for purchasing season tickets. If you wanted (which wouldn't everyone?) you could pay and additional $5 and get a Zips Jersey. This year's is the Blue Jersey with #7 on it. It looks exactly like the Blue Jersey that the team wears, looks to be made by the same company that made the Basketball Jerseys that were given out to Season Ticket holders.

I like this.

Not sure why they picked #7.

#14 would be more appropriate because it is 2014. Next year, they could do another color with #15 on it...and so on.

Jawon Chisholm is #7...the major impact senior visible to most fans. I'm pretty sure I know why they picked #7. Next year will be #16 (if they do it again).

Personally GP1, I agree with you. At the very least it should be #14 modeled after the year...or (since we're season ticket holders) make the number customizable...and perhaps charge a couple bucks more as an option. I'd be willing to pay $10, $15 or whatever it is to get a custom number on a jersey.

This Jersey idea is wonderful I'm glad they began in with basketball and have carried it over to football. Hopefully they will continue this in to the future, great for families with kids!

One week to go - assuming the Zips can win this game anyone know the last time they started the season with a win (hint, no one currently in school was likely to have seen it, expect maybe if John Blutasrsky is enrolled).

It was the year JZ84 had his now ubiquitous #20 jersey thrown to him by a certain CB :lol:

• Like 1

One week to go - assuming the Zips can win this game anyone know the last time they started the season with a win (hint, no one currently in school was likely to have seen it, expect maybe if John Blutasrsky is enrolled).

2007 Win over Army at Browns Stadium

Last time they opened the season with a win at home? Win over Ohio in 2001 I believe...

It was the year JZ84 had his now ubiquitous #20 jersey thrown to him by a certain CB :lol:

Ding, ding, ding. :) It was the 2007 "Patriot Bowl" that was played at Cleveland Browns Stadium (although the location is listed as Brown Stadium, Providence RI at the top of the ESPN recap). The Zips beat Army 22-14 for their only season opening win in more than a decade.

Ding, ding, ding. :) It was the 2007 "Patriot Bowl" that was played at Cleveland Browns Stadium (although the location is listed as Brown Stadium, Providence RI at the top of the ESPN recap). The Zips beat Army 22-14 for their only season opening win in more than a decade.

Does 7 years constitute a decade in the DC area? J

Does 7 years constitute a decade in the DC area? J

Haven't you seen how Congress operates? :) Didn't word that well, I meant it has been the only season opening win in more than a decade, akzipper being right in that the last one prior to 2007 was in 2001. So one opening season win in the last 12 years I think we are due another one.

Haven't you seen how Congress operates? :) Didn't word that well, I meant it has been the only season opening win in more than a decade, akzipper being right in that the last one prior to 2007 was in 2001. So one opening season win in the last 12 years I think we are due another one.

Ahhh I see your point. But 2 out of 13 sure sounds better than 1 out of 12 ;)

The 2001 opening win at the RB was the game where then-QB Nick Sparks was injured and Charlie Frye started off his Zip career coming off the bench for a 31-29 win over OU :rock:

I tried to do a little research on the Bison, but found very little information. I did see that their QB is the 2013 MEAC Offensive Player of the Year. I don't know what to expect from the offense. I am not going to get my hopes up too much on that side of the ball. Defensively, I want to see a 1985 Bears type beat down.

Some other Bison players to watch. Looks like we'll be seeing some Chisholm on Chisholm battles :)

http://hubison.com/custompages/FB/2012-13/HU%20Football%202013%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf