Game #4 Pittsburgh Panthers

Dr Z

A lot of discussion has already transpired about this game. I thought we needed a dedicated topic due to early popularity.

Seems like some nice tickets can be had for around twenty bucks on stubhub.

I really wish they would announce the time of this game so I can make some official plans. I know I'm staying dahntahn that night.

I wonder if the Zips were one of the three teams to call on Coles?

Thin, or loaded backfield for armPitt?

This was a game I really wanted to go to, but won't be able to make.

If you are getting tickets and being out of the sun is your primary consideration, get tickets on the Pitt side of the field.

I have an oddly good feeling about this one.

Connor to play on BOTH sides of the ball

As Conner prepares for Pitt's 2014 season, which opens Saturday against Delaware at Heinz Field, he does so not just as the Panthers' No. 1 running back, but also as a key pass rusher in their third-down defensive packages. Basically, the blueprint for Conner is to play running back on first and second down, then work with the defense on third downs when the opponent is in a passing situation.

twoway.png

Change has arrived after the departure of six starters, but the plan formulated by coach Paul Chryst when House was hired two years ago remains in place, with its intended result.
Not on the field — that will be determined by the next 12 games, starting against Delaware on Saturday at Heinz Field. But the part that was a Chryst mandate: Play a lot of guys.
House did that last year, allowing 20 passing touchdowns (11th in the ACC). The good news is the two-deep depth chart is loaded with players who wear scars from last season but may be better for the experience

Connor to play on BOTH sides of the ball

As Conner prepares for Pitt's 2014 season, which opens Saturday against Delaware at Heinz Field, he does so not just as the Panthers' No. 1 running back, but also as a key pass rusher in their third-down defensive packages. Basically, the blueprint for Conner is to play running back on first and second down, then work with the defense on third downs when the opponent is in a passing situation.

I've been curious what the official plan was for Conner. He played DE as injuries forced it in the bowl, but I assumed they'd keep him away from that this year. They have a pretty decent stable of backs, so maybe it'll work out. Definitely not something you see much anymore.

If you wanted to party on the other side of the river, and like Belgian beer, stop at Sharp Edge. If you stop there, Tenpenny is close, and worth the stop. Both are still walking distance (20 min) to game.

PS I do NOT recommend Sharp Edge to Kenner. You will NOT see the game. Here are just the Belgians they have on tap. "OVER THE EDGE" Our Belgian IPA 9.5%, BAVIK Belgian Pils 5.2%, BORNEM Abbey Double 8%, CHIMAY Premiere 7%, CORSENDONK Pale Ale 7.5%, DEKONINCK Belgian Strong Ale 5%

DUVEL Single 6.8%, GRIMBERGEN Abbey Double 6.5% (A Dr Z favorite), GULDEN DRAAK Dark Triple 10.5%, LEFFE Blonde 6.6%, LINDEMANS Framboise (Raspberry), MAREDSOUS Bruin 8%, PALM Speciale 5.4%, PIRAAT Triple IPA 10.5 %, URTHEL HOP-it 9.5%, WITTEKERKE 5%

Incase somebody wanted to plan a party in Oakland, like parting at the Townhouse when the game is at the Rubber Bowl, if the Bowl was in a cool city??? I would guess they do this for the Akron game too...if we knew the time!!! Come on man!

block_party.jpg

Will definitely be cheering for you guys against Pitt (and Marshall, but this is the Pitt thread . . . )!!!

Too lazy to learn how to embed a picture here, but this link ties to a story that shows Heinz Field during a Pitt home game. You guys think you have attendance issues? There is a reason the Pitt mascot's nickname is M.T. Yellowseat. (Say it out loud to get the full effect.)

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2010/05/26/there-is-hope-for-a-super-bowl-in-steeltown/

Go, Zips! Crush Pitt!!

Not to pick on you, but that is pre-game of a Steeler game. The Steeler jerseys give it away :lol:

I have Pitt season tix, I live closer to Pittsburgh, I won't discount the attendance problem. 4 coaches in 6 years and a bunch of 7 win seasons will do that. Now that the Pirates are good again, there's a lot of competition for ticket money. How do you feel about the rivalry being renewed anyway? No empty seats at that one!

Yeah, you got me, Zippy, but I had to use a pic like that to tease about the Panthers mascot nickname.

I'm all for the upcoming series. You may recall "84" is my graduation year from State. "48-14" (the score from the game when we knocked off Dan Marino and Pitt from being #1) is like music in my ears and warm mincemeat pie with ice cream sitting in front of me!! On the other hand, the Panther fans try to pretend that their 12-0 victory in the last game we played defines domination -- that is mere puffery. I'm looking forward to the series, and our wins in it, to remove that crutch from them!

No kidding, LZip. It's early in the 2014 season, but right now I'd have to agree. Conner and Boyd have pro ability right now.

I like it that the Zips will be challenged considerably in OOC. I think we'll play well enough to have these games be great experience for the team regardless of the outcomes. Plus, as a fan, who doesn't enjoy seeing top notch talent. Time to hit the hay - long day tomorrow :) Go Zips!!!

• Like 1

Watching Penn State run the direct snap play and push us down the field raises a little concern for the Pitt game. I think Pitt is going to try a power running game. It'll be interesting to see what Amato does to counteract it. I think our DB's proved pretty capable against a solid QB on Saturday, so we should be able to put an extra body on the line and go single-coverage when necessary.

But Marshall first...

• Like 1