Elton Overview

Reality check time. There's nothing GT, EA or any other reporter can do about what their editors assign them to write and elect to publish. As for the PD's coverage, MAC headquarters is in Cleveland. It's local business coverage for the PD. Even with all the PD's MAC coverage, I don't see more stories published specifically about the Zips from EA than from GT. Whatever gets printed in either newspaper or on either of their websites is purely a business decision. Each looks to see how many potential additional readers they can attract, and they invest in the stories with the biggest readership return. If a large chunk of the general public was hot for more Zips sports news, good business sense would dictate more coverage. The number of people who attend Zips games and the number of regular posters on ZN.o are two small snapshots of how deep local interest runs. If Zips teams can win more games and gain more rabid fans, more news coverage will surely follow.

Reality check time. There's nothing GT, EA or any other reporter can do about what their editors assign them to write and elect to publish. As for the PD's coverage, MAC headquarters is in Cleveland. It's local business coverage for the PD. Even with all the PD's MAC coverage, I don't see more stories published specifically about the Zips from EA than from GT. Whatever gets printed in either newspaper or on either of their websites is purely a business decision. Each looks to see how many potential additional readers they can attract, and they invest in the stories with the biggest readership return. If a large chunk of the general public was hot for more Zips sports news, good business sense would dictate more coverage. The number of people who attend Zips games and the number of regular posters on ZN.o are two small snapshots of how deep local interest runs. If Zips teams can win more games and gain more rabid fans, more news coverage will surely follow.

I get what you are saying, but when the local newspaper isnt interested in covering you, why would the local community think that it is worth paying attention to? It obviously isnt considered "news" by the ABJ or they would be covering it. They spend a lot of time publish a lot of garbage that nobody cares about. It is one reason that many newspapers are failing to stay afloat.

Gosh, I dont know what or who to believe! EA says Chase Murdock is the best LB in the MAC, but Hustle Belt's #2 player in the league, Junior Sylvestre must not be worth keeping an eye on.

Elton. Dropping science like Galileo dropped the orange.

I get what you are saying, but when the local newspaper isnt interested in covering you, why would the local community think that it is worth paying attention to? It obviously isnt considered "news" by the ABJ or they would be covering it. They spend a lot of time publish a lot of garbage that nobody cares about. It is one reason that many newspapers are failing to stay afloat.

Right, the eternal question about whether the news chicken or the news egg came first. Is news defined by those who report it or those who consume it? One person's garbage is another's treasure, and everyone believes that what they are interested in should take priority over what others are interested in. I spent 40 years in that business and have a pretty fair understanding about how it works.

From what im hearing from my inside source that also told me about unis is justin march is going to have a big year. Hes apparently destroying people and jatavius brown is playing pretty average ball. Also with coach stroud being out amato has been coaching almost the entire defense. And we are super slim on the depth chart at couner which will be our week spot

George Thomas "About this middle linebacker C.J. Mizell: After the game he looked as if he was ready to go another four quarters and I have little doubt that he could have done so at the level that netted him 10 tackles and a fumble recovery. Mizell, who sat out last year after transferring, played like a beast on Red Bull."

CJ is second in the country with 10 tackles.

C.J. Mizell recorded 10 tackles (eight solo) and a fumble recovery to lead the defense as the unit recorded its first shutout since a 41-0 triumph over Morgan State on Sept. 12, 2009.

George Thomas "About this middle linebacker C.J. Mizell: After the game he looked as if he was ready to go another four quarters and I have little doubt that he could have done so at the level that netted him 10 tackles and a fumble recovery. Mizell, who sat out last year after transferring, played like a beast on Red Bull."

CJ is second in the country with 10 tackles.

C.J. Mizell recorded 10 tackles (eight solo) and a fumble recovery to lead the defense as the unit recorded its first shutout since a 41-0 triumph over Morgan State on Sept. 12, 2009.

Who knew Mizell sat out last season after transferring?

Who knew Mizell sat out last season after transferring?

Now I'm confused. He played for Washington State in the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 seasons, transferred to Tallahassee Community College for the 2012-2013 season where he didn't play football, and then transferred to Akron for the 2013-2014 season. So he sat out the season before last after transferring from Washington State to Tallahassee, and was immediately eligible to play for the Zips last season and this. My head hurts almost as much as getting hit by Mizell.

So here is the question. I am now reading sniping regarding the amount of coverage for the Zips. I honestly want to know: WHERE on the list of priorities do the Zips belong? Because this week alone I count 8-10 blog posts, a story in the paper, another running Saturday and another blog post to preview the game online. An effort will be made to provide more video as well.

If some of you think the Zips will ever merit the coverage the Browns get, that's a mistake. With LeBron James back in town, the Cavs will even take more priority. Now I ask, what is supposed to be done? The reality is we're in a different news environment. You'll find Zips coverage, but I am elsewhere a couple of times during the week also. And, oh, I'm supposed to take two days off a week. Ask me how many times that happens from August to April.

That is the way it is for EVERY ABJ sportswriter. That's the new reality. We work hard because we feel an obligation to do so. If you want late-breaking Zips news, check the blog. The more in-depth stuff will be in the paper.

As to the snarky statement and question that insulted the paper and asked whether I was reading? Until today, THIS the first time I've logged in in well over six months. There is one specific reason that for that: while people here - with the exception of a couple of individuals whom I've met in person - criticize and insult under the veil of anonymity, if I read it, I am not allowed to respond in any negative manner. It's easier to just not deal with it. I've always tried to keep and open mind and an open line of communication via email and Twitter. Some - not all - make that extremely difficult to want to do. Somewhere along the way, civility got lost for some.

The coverage on the blog will be there. There are three videos with three of the Zips top players that posted today. There will be more videos. There will be more posts and every effort will be made to cover the Zips fully. And FYI: I won't be attending the Penn State game because I am on vacation. With the Zips' bye week is was the best time to schedule it so that I would miss only one game instead of two. For those who take the time to read this, thank you.

• Like 2

I am now reading sniping regarding the amount of coverage for the Zips. I honestly want to know: WHERE on the list of priorities do the Zips belong?

For an Akron based publication? No. 1. Perhaps No. 2 to what local HSs are doing.

Because this week alone I count 8-10 blog posts, a story in the paper, another running Saturday and another blog post to preview the game online. An effort will be made to provide more video as well.

I like the sound of it, sounds like effort is being made...and I greatly appreciate it...but there is really no excuse as to why a newspaper in Pennsylvania is publishing a story about the Zips senior running back (who's been in Akron for 5-years) that has never been reported on before. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

If some of you think the Zips will ever merit the coverage the Browns get, that's a mistake. With LeBron James back in town, the Cavs will even take more priority. Now I ask, what is supposed to be done? The reality is we're in a different news environment. You'll find Zips coverage, but I am elsewhere a couple of times during the week also.

LeBron coverage, completely agree with. Akron grown talent. Does not merit as much coverage as the Browns? Ridiculous. I'm a Browns fan and there's way too much coverage on the Browns. We are over saturated with Browns coverage. Between ESPN (free) ABJ (not free) The Plane Dealer (not free), TV news (kinda free...but not) and millions of other sources (just about ever paper, news and other source in NE Ohio)...If you go to one, you've been to them all. There's hardly anything original to ABJ Browns coverage that you can't find in every other source covering the Browns.

Example: I was gone for a month over the summer. I asked a friend to collect my papers. By the time I came home, I was really interested to look at what was going on in NE Ohio sports. Almost every single above the fold story in the sports section was Browns...the narrative changing almost none from day-to-day. I was embarrassed as a Browns fan, and as a subscriber. I'm literally reading the same over-reported nonsense from day-to-day.

The amount of OSU coverage on the other hand...ABJ is an NEO based newspaper. Why it's committing such valuable space, energy, time and resources to a team that isn't in the area, that is already overly saturated as well with reporting, is beyond me.

If there's actual numbers and data to support those decisions that I am ignorant to, then please prove me wrong. Until then the downsizing of mainstream media outlets and newspapers, to me, is a red flag to me.

I'm not trying to attack George, but I'm the consumer. I like the ABJ. I want to read the ABJ. I buy the ABJ. But I continue to get signals that I shouldn't be. If it's just going to be the same stuff I can read anywhere, why should I even bother. I'm saying that as a daily reader, not a Zips fan. I want to read about NEO things more than not NEO things. I want to read about Akron and surrounding communities, more than NEO in general things. I want something real, not the same non-sense.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but my criticism largely comes from frustration. Frustrated that I am constantly bombarded with the same non-sense over, and over, and over again., Day after day after day, While not being able to get the information that I want. I know the standard caveat is "21st century technology" changing media...which is absolutely true...but it seems that media sources are far too busy trying to play catchup with the joneses (reporting about OSU, the Browns etc...having blogs...etc.) than really becoming an "only" or "exclusive" source of information on one thing. A jack-of-all-trades, yet a master of none.

• Like 1

George,

As an out-of-town Zips fan, I rely heavily on your coverage, hustle belt, and zips nation for the insider's view of Akron sports. This week in particular was probably a bad one to log on after 6 months, as Penn State's coverage of the Akron game has produced some great Akron-centric print news articles.

In the lead-up and aftermath of the Howard game, I felt that you provided good coverage of the team's preparations and excellent analysis both before and after the game.

For the Penn State game, it seems like you are being 'scooped' (for lack of a better term) by the Penn State media machine. From PSU sources, I have read matchup analysis, Zips player-interest stories (amazing Chisholm article) and even reminders of the Zips' success last season.

I assume that your 'five things to watch' column and other matchup analysis from the Akron point of view will be coming later today or tomorrow. The two types of articles that really get me fired up for games are in-depth matchup reporting, and human interest stories on the players (beyond awards won and practice reps).

The player videos just don't do much to get me excited, personally. I appreciate the effort that goes in to them, and getting information from direct sources is certainly important, but doesn't get me looking forward to watching a game or get me further invested in the team.

I know that I'm probably not indicative of the wider market, but I also have not complained on the boards about coverage. Your writing quality and style is far greater than many of the blog posts I find online, and much better than what I could do myself. I appreciate your skill and invested time into the matter.

For an Akron based publication? No. 1. Perhaps No. 2 to what local HSs are doing.

I like the sound of it, sounds like effort is being made...and I greatly appreciate it...but there is really no excuse as to why a newspaper in Pennsylvania is publishing a story about the Zips senior running back (who's been in Akron for 5-years) that has never been reported on before. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

LeBron coverage, completely agree with. Akron grown talent. Does not merit as much coverage as the Browns? Ridiculous. I'm a Browns fan and there's way too much coverage on the Browns. We are over saturated with Browns coverage. Between ESPN (free) ABJ (not free) The Plane Dealer (not free), TV news (kinda free...but not) and millions of other sources (just about ever paper, news and other source in NE Ohio)...If you go to one, you've been to them all. There's hardly anything original to ABJ Browns coverage that you can't find in every other source covering the Browns.

Example: I was gone for a month over the summer. I asked a friend to collect my papers. By the time I came home, I was really interested to look at what was going on in NE Ohio sports. Almost every single above the fold story in the sports section was Browns...the narrative changing almost none from day-to-day. I was embarrassed as a Browns fan, and as a subscriber. I'm literally reading the same over-reported nonsense from day-to-day.

The amount of OSU coverage on the other hand...ABJ is an NEO based newspaper. Why it's committing such valuable space, energy, time and resources to a team that isn't in the area, that is already overly saturated as well with reporting, is beyond me.

If there's actual numbers and data to support those decisions that I am ignorant to, then please prove me wrong. Until then the downsizing of mainstream media outlets and newspapers, to me, is a red flag to me.

I'm not trying to attack George, but I'm the consumer. I like the ABJ. I want to read the ABJ. I buy the ABJ. But I continue to get signals that I shouldn't be. If it's just going to be the same stuff I can read anywhere, why should I even bother. I'm saying that as a daily reader, not a Zips fan. I want to read about NEO things more than not NEO things. I want to read about Akron and surrounding communities, more than NEO in general things. I want something real, not the same non-sense.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but my criticism largely comes from frustration. Frustrated that I am constantly bombarded with the same non-sense over, and over, and over again., Day after day after day, While not being able to get the information that I want. I know the standard caveat is "21st century technology" changing media...which is absolutely true...but it seems that media sources are far too busy trying to play catchup with the joneses (reporting about OSU, the Browns etc...having blogs...etc.) than really becoming an "only" or "exclusive" source of information on one thing. A jack-of-all-trades, yet a master of none.

I will tell you this as far as hard data: three things drive traffic to our website, UA sports is not one of them. You talk about resources we devote to Ohio State and we don't even have a reporter covering them. The reality of the 21st century encompasses more than technology.

Secondly, my coverage will lean toward the end of the week and game day. That's just the reality of my situation. Right now, in the world of sports the reality is this you get to master column writing. You get to master a pro beat. To a degree you get to master a high school beat. You get to master a major college beat and the definition of that over the years has changed, significantly. That NCAA vote regarding autonomy (an issue I wrote about outside of normal UA duties) should be an indicator of that.

You write about there being too much Browns coverage as well, but the reality is the NFL is king. Akron doesn't exist on an island outside of Cleveland especially when it comes to Browns fans. It is a priority at a paper. It drives circulation and web traffic. Not to mention that there's a hell of a good, young writer covering the team.

George,

As an out-of-town Zips fan, I rely heavily on your coverage, hustle belt, and zips nation for the insider's view of Akron sports. This week in particular was probably a bad one to log on after 6 months, as Penn State's coverage of the Akron game has produced some great Akron-centric print news articles.

In the lead-up and aftermath of the Howard game, I felt that you provided good coverage of the team's preparations and excellent analysis both before and after the game.

For the Penn State game, it seems like you are being 'scooped' (for lack of a better term) by the Penn State media machine. From PSU sources, I have read matchup analysis, Zips player-interest stories (amazing Chisholm article) and even reminders of the Zips' success last season.

I assume that your 'five things to watch' column and other matchup analysis from the Akron point of view will be coming later today or tomorrow. The two types of articles that really get me fired up for games are in-depth matchup reporting, and human interest stories on the players (beyond awards won and practice reps).

The player videos just don't do much to get me excited, personally. I appreciate the effort that goes in to them, and getting information from direct sources is certainly important, but doesn't get me looking forward to watching a game or get me further invested in the team.

I know that I'm probably not indicative of the wider market, but I also have not complained on the boards about coverage. Your writing quality and style is far greater than many of the blog posts I find online, and much better than what I could do myself. I appreciate your skill and invested time into the matter.

Here's the reality of that Chisholm story. The paper that wrote it was his hometown paper. I read the story. It's fantastic. I spoke to the writer this week. His information about Chisholm and the shooting came from that end. If any SID shared that with me over the past three seasons, I would have written about it. My guess is they didn't know because the article clearly states that "he doesn't like to talk about it."

I have a good relationship with Jawon and he's never told me about it.

You are correct. My coverage will be geared toward the run up to the game. If and when I get an interesting human interest story, I'll jump on it. I always have, but I will not force a story.

So here is the question. I am now reading sniping regarding the amount of coverage for the Zips. I honestly want to know: WHERE on the list of priorities do the Zips belong? Because this week alone I count 8-10 blog posts, a story in the paper, another running Saturday and another blog post to preview the game online. An effort will be made to provide more video as well.

If some of you think the Zips will ever merit the coverage the Browns get, that's a mistake. With LeBron James back in town, the Cavs will even take more priority. Now I ask, what is supposed to be done? The reality is we're in a different news environment. You'll find Zips coverage, but I am elsewhere a couple of times during the week also. And, oh, I'm supposed to take two days off a week. Ask me how many times that happens from August to April.

That is the way it is for EVERY ABJ sportswriter. That's the new reality. We work hard because we feel an obligation to do so. If you want late-breaking Zips news, check the blog. The more in-depth stuff will be in the paper.

As to the snarky statement and question that insulted the paper and asked whether I was reading? Until today, THIS the first time I've logged in in well over six months. There is one specific reason that for that: while people here - with the exception of a couple of individuals whom I've met in person - criticize and insult under the veil of anonymity, if I read it, I am not allowed to respond in any negative manner. It's easier to just not deal with it. I've always tried to keep and open mind and an open line of communication via email and Twitter. Some - not all - make that extremely difficult to want to do. Somewhere along the way, civility got lost for some.

The coverage on the blog will be there. There are three videos with three of the Zips top players that posted today. There will be more videos. There will be more posts and every effort will be made to cover the Zips fully. And FYI: I won't be attending the Penn State game because I am on vacation. With the Zips' bye week is was the best time to schedule it so that I would miss only one game instead of two. For those who take the time to read this, thank you.

I am just curious to know how you determine the correct coverage amount for zips athletics. Do people write to the ABJ and complain of excess zips coverage and a lack of OSU and or Browns coverage? I may be incorrect, but I typically am of the mindset that people for the most part let the media tell them what is newsworthy and in demand. The lack of zips coverage in their hometown market gives the public a perception that it isn't newsworthy or worth paying attention to. You may say "their record stinks so nobody cares" and I will follow that up by saying that the program probably wouldn't be in that situation if they had the backing of their alumni and community.

• Like 1

I am just curious to know how you determine the correct coverage amount for zips athletics. Do people write to the ABJ and complain of excess zips coverage and a lack of OSU and or Browns coverage? I may be incorrect, but I typically am of the mindset that people for the most part let the media tell them what is newsworthy and in demand. The lack of zips coverage in their hometown market gives the public a perception that it isn't newsworthy or worth paying attention to. You may say "their record stinks so nobody cares" and I will follow that up by saying that the program probably wouldn't be in that situation if they had the backing of their alumni and community.

To my knowlege, we don't get calls about the Zips in sports. Nor do we get them about Can't. We get them about high school and pro teams. Again, define lack of coverage. Articles in the paper five days a week? Secondly, please do not make assumptions about what I think of the team. I have tremendous respect for Terry, his staff and his players. Your problem stems from the last sentence in your statement. Where were the fans for the opener? This is a season of expectations, which I wrote about several times. Yet, I didn't see a lot of people. As for the school's relationship with alumni, I don't have enough knowledge regarding that to even begin to formulate an opinion.

To my knowlege, we don't get calls about the Zips in sports. Nor do we get them about Can't. We get them about high school and pro teams. Again, define lack of coverage. Articles in the paper five days a week? Secondly, please do not make assumptions about what I think of the team. I have tremendous respect for Terry, his staff and his players. Your problem stems from the last sentence in your statement. Where were the fans for the opener? This is a season of expectations, which I wrote about several times. Yet, I didn't see a lot of people. As for the school's relationship with alumni, I don't have enough knowledge regarding that to even begin to formulate an opinion.

George,

I am not blaming you and I am not making a statement about your personal opinions of the team or coaching staff. I understand that you get your marching orders about where to dedicate coverage. This, in my opinion, stems from years of apathy at the ABJ and the community in general. It is the fault of the university, media and community. I don't think anyone expects you to come in with some sort of magic wand and write the team into the communities hearts and minds.

George,

I am not blaming you and I am not making a statement about your personal opinions of the team or coaching staff. I understand that you get your marching orders about where to dedicate coverage. This, in my opinion, stems from years of apathy at the ABJ and the community in general. It is the fault of the university, media and community. I don't think anyone expects you to come in with some sort of magic wand and write the team into the communities hearts and minds.

Funny, that isn't the vibe I'm getting. As for fault, you have the order wrong and when you say "community" you can start with the student body.