9100 Attendance

a-zip

I'm sure we all realize that whatever creative idea that someone thinks would actually WORK would probably not actually happen.  

5 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

And give out some kind of 2016 championship tchotchke to all attendees at the end of the game. Gates close at the start of the 2nd quarter.

It's a shame that it's come to this.  We have to find ways to TRAP people at Zips sporting events to try to keep them from walking into the gates, taking the giveaways, and going home.  

On 5/10/2016 at 9:55 AM, K92 said:

I bet McKinney gets more than 9100 butts in seats.

Actually they don't.  The superintendent said, "you only get one chance to build something like this so we want to do it right" ;)

Here is his actual quote...

“You can’t wait until you’ve expanded to that size to start worrying about building these extra facilities,” McDaniel said. “When I look into the future, these are things that we’re going to need, and I have to plan ahead.”

McKinney School Bond

• 11 months later...

I was traveling last weekend and got to hear an interesting conversation about attendance on XM radio.  Paul Finebaum opined that the attendance woes are here to stay.  For one reason, as silly as it may seem, poor Wi-Fi in the stadium.  Also stated as a reason was the superior coverage on TV along with the dead time at the stadium for commercials.  At a bar or at home you can switch to another game or go grab another beer during commercial breaks.

I think Paul is on the right track here.  At the very least, stadiums should have a score ticker scrolling at all times, for the conference at a minimum but probably for all of FBS.  I don't know what it would take to do a deal with ESPN to air their in-game updates on the jumbotron but that would also be a big improvement.  This could be a bargaining chip the next time the contract is renegotiated.

Universities must get with the times.

• Like 1

Sugar coat it all you want, still pathetic

2016 NCAA HOME ATTENDANCE

James Madison                                     19,844

Delaware                                                16,478

N.C. A&T                                                14,472

Grand Valley St.                                      12,549

Prairie View                                             12,194

Youngstown St.                                      12,439

Akron                                                      10,337

3 hours ago, a-zip said:

Sugar coat it all you want, still pathetic

2016 NCAA HOME ATTENDANCE

James Madison                                     19,844

Delaware                                                16,478

N.C. A&T                                                14,472

Grand Valley St.                                      12,549

Prairie View                                             12,194

Youngstown St.                                      12,439

Akron                                                      10,337

Sugar coat?  Our attendance blows.  See what you want to see, though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, K92 said:

At the very least, stadiums should have a score ticker scrolling at all times, for the conference at a minimum but probably for all of FBS.  I don't know what it would take to do a deal with ESPN to air their in-game updates on the jumbotron but that would also be a big improvement.  This could be a bargaining chip the next time the contract is renegotiated. Universities must get with the times.

I only root for one college team, so I don't care about scrolling the Minnesota vs Iowa game anywhere in the stadium, but I admit one reason I don't attend Sunday NFL games is because I miss too much watching just one game. I watch three tvs on Sundays. I do care about the Zips opponents, so I usually go back and watch a replay on ESPN3 so I know key players, offensive and defensive tendencies. Watch parties are popular, maybe having a Columbus watch party at the stadium could draw more area fans. ?

Also stated as a reason was the superior coverage on TV along with the dead time at the stadium for commercials.  At a bar or at home you can switch to another game or go grab another beer during commercial breaks.

I thought the staff did a decent job entertaining during time outs last season. It's also nice fans can go get a beer at the stadium during any downtime if they like. 

6 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I only root for one college team, so I don't care about scrolling the Minnesota vs Iowa game anywhere in the stadium, but I admit one reason I don't attend Sunday NFL games is because I miss too much watching just one game. I watch three tvs on Sundays. I do care about the Zips opponents, so I usually go back and watch a replay on ESPN3 so I know key players, offensive and defensive tendencies. Watch parties are popular, maybe having a Columbus watch party at the stadium could draw more area fans. ?

I don't root for any other teams but the Zips but I love college football and I, like you, feel I miss out on a lot of what's going on in the larger picture of games when I am in the stadium.  Many people at the stadium are looking at updates on their phones and a lot more would be looking if the University had decent wifi.  An ESPN update center on the jumbotron during stoppages in play would be infinitely more entertaining than Keith Kennedy trying to lead an unresponsive crowd in the umpteenth "Let's Go Zips" chant.

33 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Quality of opponent is huge.

:thumb:

Lets face it.  Most of the MAC teams aren't getting Joe Akron off of the couch on Saturday afternoon, even if it's just to drive 10 minutes and buy a $15 ticket. Our record going into those games matters little.  "Joe" couldn't even tell you what our record is most of the time.  

Joe?  Are you still here?  I don't think you've made an appearance for awhile.  

47 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

hockey is the best sport to watch live.

Solution:

Turn the INFO into a stadium-style hockey venue, make Hockey a school-sponsored sport, and host outside hockey all winter long.  

Maybe some people around Akron would actually get excited about something like that.  

I typically go to only 1-2 games per year. There are many reasons I don't attend more, but poor wifi has nothing to do with it.

Here is a list of reasons why I don't bother attending more:

1) I enjoy the comfort of watching multiple games at home instead of committing an entire Saturday to 1 game

2) The games that I want to see most typically are played on Tuesday and Wednesdays in November

3) The game day atmosphere is pretty terrible. I don't really feel I'm missing out on anything by watching at home.I wish they built Info smaller so that fans would be closer together

4) 2 of our home games are midweek November games and additional one is against an FCS opponent. That's 50% of our 6 home games that I refuse to ever attend

There are scheduling conflicts and other stuff that factor into it too, but I'd say these are the 4 biggest factors for why I pass on a game that I'm available to attend.

Edited by kreed5120

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

It's also nice fans can go get a beer at the stadium during any downtime if they like. 

C'mon, Doc.  You can't be comparing getting out of your recliner to go around the corner and pour a delicious craft brew to standing up from your piece of aluminum to ask everyone else between you and the aisle to stand up so you can squeeze by to go down to the concession stand to buy a Yuengling.  

Iowa State is one of the teams that is going against the trend.  In fact, we were recently recognized as the "most loyal fans," based on an objective analysis of attendance divided by wins over 3 years.  We routinely get 50,000+ for mid- to late-season games even though we are sitting on only 1 or 2 wins.  

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/05/08/iowa-state-fans-most-loyal-college-football/22076229/

Cue the "nothing else to do in Iowa" jokes, but it is only partly true.  The fact is that we love our Iowa State teams, especially football and tailgating.  We recently spent $60 million to bowl in our south endzone and add more than 10,000 seats, including 2500 fairly pricey ones.  

If we start the season beating in-state rivals UNI and Eastern Iowa University (the EIU that plays in the Big 10), then the Akron road game may take on a bowl-like feel for us and I would expect a ton of fans to make the trip.  Plus, with so many of the football coaches and staff being from northeast Ohio, they will bring lots of family and friends.  

Edited by Cykron

59 minutes ago, Cykron said:

We routinely get 50,000+ for mid- to late-season games even though we are sitting on only 1 or 2 wins.  

Cue the "nothing else to do in Iowa" jokes, but it is only partly true.  The fact is that we love our Iowa State teams, especially football and tailgating.  

I'd like to see 50,000 for a SEASON here in Akron.  That would be an accomplishment.  

I get the idea that people connect with your team.  We definitely don't have that here.  But since we know that "quality of opponent" is a factor, where do you think that your 50,000 attendance would be if you played a MAC Schedule vs. a Big 12 Schedule ?  

Edited by skip-zip

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

9100 x 6 = 54,600.

Lets not go there, and get this off track.  You may want to do a little research on what "reported attendance" means.  In fact, there's plenty of material on that subject right here in the archives of this forum.  

So, I'll stick with my comment that I'd like to SEE 50,000 people during a season of Akron football right about now.