9100 Attendance

a-zip

On 6/21/2017 at 0:10 PM, ZippyRulz said:

It's almost as if there aren't 7 other FBS progrums, including a perennial national champ contender, to compete with in Iowa (kidding, and at the same time not kidding).

If we win our first 2 games of the season also, it will definitely be a bowl-like feel for this game :thumb:

Yes, this is a big factor.  We are fortunate not to have as many FBS programs nearby.  Only one other program within 2 hours.  Only four within 3-1/2 hours.  And no pro teams of any sport within 3 hours.  

I can't quite explain it, other than to acknowledge our eternal optimism.  Our attendance has stayed strong, even when our in-state rival's hasn't, even after a 12-0 season, probably because they have to endure the memory of their bowl collapses all year long.  That is one good thing about not going to a bowl, no big build up, just to be crushed.  Seriously, we will see what happens if we ever start winning and then fall on hard times.  For now, Ames is just the place to be on Saturday for a ton of us.  It isn't about wins, it is about loyalty and having a good time.  As the publisher of our best fan site says, "We aren't Cyclone fans because it is easy.  We are Cyclone fans because it is awesome."  And we really believe it.  

Looking forward to the Info Bowl in Akron.  Like I said, if we win the first two games, we will have a big crowd making the trip.  You should have seen what happened for the Big 12 tournament a few years ago in Kansas City.  It was the first time in a long time that we made it to the championship game.  We beat Kansas on Thursday and the crowd was probably 50% KU, 35% us, and 15% others.  By Saturday night, it was 90% us.  Most paying $150+ for tickets.  The announcers said something about hoping the last person in Ames turned the lights out.  And we had thousands outside in the Power & Light District enjoying on big screens.  Our fans are loyal, but also hungry for some wins.  When Matt Campbell starts winning, we will go crazy.  

And if we start the season with 3 wins, we get to return to Ames for Texas on a Thursday night and are currently only a 3 point underdog for that game.  

Edited by Cykron
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cykron said:

Yes, this is a big factor.  We are fortunate not to have as many FBS programs nearby.  Only one other program within 2 hours.  Only four within 3-1/2 hours.  And no pro teams of any sport within 3 hours.   

I thought I'd pull this out.  I think you've just made the one point that many of us just doesn't realize is as much of an impact on our attendance as it truly is.

Within Two hours of Akron:  We have 5 D-1 NCAA programs (OSU, Kent, Toledo, Bowling Green, Pittsburgh),  5 pro-teams (Cavs, Browns, Steelers, Indians, Penguins).

As much as some will say this is "making an excuse" it really isn't.  Our market is over-saturated with sports choice.  And if most people were to rank the top-5 of the teams available within their area to go to a game/follow on a regular basis...it will be a mix of 3ish pro-teams (Browns or Steelers, Cavs, Indians or Penguins) and a college team or two, one being State Ohio University for almost everyone.  So this is probably the biggest factor impacting our fanbase.

If we were to expand it to 3 1/2 hours....watch out the numbers increase to like 13 NCAA D-1 Programs (Cincinnati, Penn State, Ohio University, Marshall, Michigan State, Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Temple), and 10 Pro Teams (Lions, Tigers, Pistons, Reds, Bengals).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Balsy said:

I thought I'd pull this out.  I think you've just made the one point that many of us just doesn't realize is as much of an impact on our attendance as it truly is.

Within Two hours of Akron:  We have 5 D-1 NCAA programs (OSU, Kent, Toledo, Bowling Green, Pittsburgh),  5 pro-teams (Cavs, Browns, Steelers, Indians, Penguins).

As much as some will say this is "making an excuse" it really isn't.  Our market is over-saturated with sports choice.  And if most people were to rank the top-5 of the teams available within their area to go to a game/follow on a regular basis...it will be a mix of 3ish pro-teams (Browns or Steelers, Cavs, Indians or Penguins) and a college team or two, one being State Ohio University for almost everyone.  So this is probably the biggest factor impacting our fanbase.

If we were to expand it to 3 1/2 hours....watch out the numbers increase to like 13 NCAA D-1 Programs (Cincinnati, Penn State, Ohio University, Marshall, Michigan State, Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Temple), and 10 Pro Teams (Lions, Tigers, Pistons, Reds, Bengals).

You can get to temple in 3 hours? Most of us don't have planes. 

Throw in Miami, Buffalo, and WVU and its up to 15 Balsy. And I know we like to think of YSU as below us (and they are), but I think its naive to say we don't compete with the FCS runner-ups at all.

Edited by LZIp

"State Ohio"

Please tell me more about the "State Ohio" references.  I have in-laws who have that weird affection for Columbus.  And I'm always looking for some new trash talk.  I've never heard this one, but I like it.  And the more I know about it, the better I can wield it against the in-laws.  Is it along the lines of Harbaugh calling them just "Ohio?"  Is it related to "State Penn" which I have heard?  Thanks in advance for anything you can do to help me bash the Buckwheat fans.  

15 hours ago, Balsy said:

And I think it is more than just having teams in close proximity.  It also means media saturation.  And sponsor saturation.  The time and attention to teams is not just split with the nearby teams, but also national teams.  Competition for the fan's attention is much less for Iowa State.  And many of us won't even watch Hokeye games, not just because of the rivalry, but because the Big Yawn 10 games aren't as fun to watch.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cykron said:

And I think it is more than just having teams in close proximity.  It also means media saturation.  And sponsor saturation.  The time and attention to teams is not just split with the nearby teams, but also national teams.  Competition for the fan's attention is much less for Iowa State.  And many of us won't even watch Hokeye games, not just because of the rivalry, but because the Big Yawn 10 games aren't as fun to watch.  

Another excellent point!  I totally overlooked the media/sponsor bit.  It's easy to get behind something, if it's the only thing in town...but when there's limited advertising $$ who are you going to focus in on, the Pro team, or 1/12 local colleges?  

Totally agree with the "Big-Yawn-10"...I don't understand why so many people watch OSU games?  I mean I get it, they want to be a part of something that wins...and wins a lot.  But there's no stake in the game at all.  You expect them to win, and win big.  If they don't win big, you're upset.  If they lose, you're even more upset.  Like where is the fun in that?  When you already know the outcome...

Of course we're a bit biased, but watching games that have a level of parity is far more enjoyable.

Also the Blue Jackets and the Crew. Although I saw The Crew the other day and they appeared to be running in mud, they looked so slow. I moved out of the Akron area in 1982. I can say that I've been to Thistledown as many times as I've been to a Zips sporting event since. So that competes too.

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

Ok that's it, we move the entire Akron campus to Williston, ND. Lots of oil workers again and no competing interests. That should solve the attendance problem.

This is no joke.  Have you paid attention to the North Dakota State football fans?  They are incredible and they travel amazingly well.  I think they issue tailgate rigs with their diplomas at graduation!  Here is my personal favorite!  

NDSU tailgate bus.jpg

Edited by Cykron

On 6/26/2017 at 9:16 AM, MDZip said:

Very minor point but I think the Pirates are still considered a pro team. :-)

The Pirates still exist?  ;)

On 6/26/2017 at 9:20 AM, LZIp said:

As are the Columbus Crew and Blue Jackets.

I kinda purposefully left out the Crew and the Jackets.  The Blue Jackets IMHO, are a Columbus thing for the most part.  Though I guess we should add them to the list.

8 Pro Teams (Browns, Indians, Pirates, Crew, Blue Jackets, Steelers, Cavs, Penguins).  :P