9100 Attendance

a-zip

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

What exact point are you trying to get a crossed? Bitching about our attendance to people who actually attend games isn't going to suddenly make it improve. We all know it's bad and would like to see more people at games.

The sad thing is, if we don't have the conversation...no one will.  These kind of conversations don't take place on campus, with the people who have to power and $ to attempt to enact change.

20 minutes ago, Balsy said:

The sad thing is, if we don't have the conversation...no one will.  These kind of conversations don't take place on campus, with the people who have to power and $ to attempt to enact change.

My response was in regards to A-Zips comment, which appears was deleted. I have no problem having conversations regarding our bad attendance if it's done in a constructive manor. I just see no value in going on and on tirelessly about how our attendance is poor compared to YSU, FCS, and other G5 programs. meanwhile, not offering suggestions for how we can improve it.

Edited by kreed5120

I hope that Iowa State coming will generate some energy and interest, particularly with us bringing a good crowd and so many of our football staff being from northeast Ohio.  

Please be grateful and don't win the game.  :D

2 minutes ago, Cykron said:

I hope that Iowa State coming will generate some energy and interest, particularly with us bringing a good crowd and so many of our football staff being from northeast Ohio.  

Please be grateful and don't win the game.  :D

I have a pretty good knack at predicting W/L when it comes to OCC schedule.  I've got Zips pulling it out.  ;)

The Zips could be 11-0, on the verge of an undefeated season which has never happened in Akron's history, (which means it would have beaten some Big-10 team) and we'd still be talking about 5000 people at the game.  Because the other 4100 wouldn't be able to make it because it'd be on a Tuesday night.  :rofl:

This topic has been beat to death.  Conventional wisdom says win and they will come.  Need proof?  Just look at NIU.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2015/06/08/niu-football-looking-to-boost-dropping-attendance/aqix8sq/

Seriously though. . .

Before there is ever going to be a jump in attendance, there needs to school pride instilled in students.  Good luck with that.  The place was nicknamed Apathy U. for a reason.  I do as much as I can to promote the University but I am an extreme minority.  MAC students are self-loathing.  I don't know why the students of the schools that were held up as examples of better attendance have school pride but they obviously do.  Perhaps the entire conference should invest some money in a research firm to come up with some solutions because every institution in this league could use an attendance boost.

Pretty much every MAC school is right in the shadow of a Big Ten school that the locals follow. Until that changes or a school does something to distinguish itself nothing is going to change. Locals include students, imo, because a large majority of students are from the MAC footprint and grew up watching OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU, Indiana.. Buffalo is perhaps the one outlier here, but Cuse isn't too far down the road.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

My response was in regards to A-Zips comment, which appears was deleted. I have no problem having conversations regarding our bad attendance if it's done in a constructive manor. I just see no value in going on and on tirelessly about how our attendance is poor compared to YSU, FCS, and other G5 programs. meanwhile, not offering suggestions for how we can improve it.

Agreed.  If I come off as bitching, that is not my intent.  I have heard every excuse in the world for our poor attendance - everything from no wifi, poor records, poor opponents and bad weather.  I posted the YSU attendance because they had better attendance while playing in a lower division, worse opponents, worse stadium and in the same geographic area as we do  (in fact they may be more challenged because they have a smaller population and they are closer to Pittsburgh).  I guess you could say they have a better winning tradition than we do but looking at the last 5 years, they are 32-19.  I wouldn't call that eye popping.  We came off a 5 game win streak in 2015 and a bowl win - then opened the season against VMI in front of 11,061 - didn't move the needle a bit.  YSU came off a 5-6 season and opened the season against mighty Duquesne in front of 12,219, they followed that with 19,033 against the powerhouse Robert Morris.

I scratch my head at the administration that spent all the money to build all of the shiny buildings and stadiums.  This ain't a movie...."build it and they will come".  What was the rationale and justification? AND once the investment was made.....what is the plan to make it a worthwhile investment?  A lot of good points have been made here recently around all the competitive schools surrounding us and other factors.  What was the previous administration looking at?  Are we smarter than they were?  So yes this is bitching and it is water under the bridge but the fact is our University is in financial distress.

What are the solutions?  We have one of the most recognizable people in the world LBJ in Akron.  USE HIM!!!!  We have our first NFL HOFer Jason Taylor being inducted this year.  USE HIM!!!  We have the Bowdens, we had one of the most beloved people in this state, Jim Tressel.  DON'T LET HIM GO (big mistake)!!  These are influential people with great networks.  We have some impressive and charismatic players on the team - Tommy Woodson, Warren Ball.....get them out to the schools and the community.  Finally, Joe Akron just needs to get off his lazy ass and spend a couple hours in a beautiful stadium.  I have said this 100 times out here.....we are not going to get top recruits when they see and read how lame the game day environment is at UA.  How can we expect to be more competitive with out top players.

Hopefully some of you get to read this before it is deleted ;-)

Edited by a-zip

I love LeBron, have since he was finally out of the high school hype machine, but I can't see him doing anything that would influence attendance at football games.  Maybe basketball, but not football.  And to what extent would his influence have?  Maybe another 2,000 people and why?  Just because he might be at the game or he has his students that he supports come to the games?  Advertising on local TV and radio and newspapers (HAH!)?  I don't think LeBron is part of the problem, but definitely not even an iota of the solution.  Even if he did do SOMETHING it might have a short term (1 or 2 games) effect, but long term....this town, county, metropolis, region just will not support MAC football, no matter how great your team is, or how many locals you have playing, or how much local celebrities sing your praises.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, g-mann17 said:

If you think he's part of the problem, you're part of the problem.

How dare I profane the name of the chosen one!  May my soul burn in Hell for eternity.

A local Akron guy who puts his support behind the team in Franklin County that needs no assistance instead of the local institution is part of the problem no matter his celebrity level.

Whatever.  Maybe you're right and I'm wrong.  Keep on groveling in the free world 

Edited by K92
Correcting my county faux pas.

1 hour ago, K92 said:

How dare I profane the name of the chosen one!  May my soul burn in Hell for eternity.

A local Akron guy who puts his support behind the team in Hamilton County that needs no assistance instead of the local institution is part of the problem no matter his celebrity level.

Whatever.  Maybe you're right and I'm wrong.  Keep on groveling in the free world 

Come on keener.... Franklin county 

1 hour ago, g-mann17 said:

If you think he's part of the problem, you're part of the problem.

How many OSU games is he at standing on the sidelines, wearing jerseys and making statements about how he wants to take one snap as a buckeye? 

How many games is he on the sidelines, wearing a zips jersey talking about how he wants to take a snap as a zip? 

I can answer... all the damn time for the nuts.... zip for the zips. Stop sucking down the lebron is great for UA football BS. 

Edited by Zipgrad01
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, K92 said:

He's part of the problem, not the solution.

lebron-james-ohio-state-buckeyes-merch2*

I thought you of all people would be pro bussiness.  LeBron is First and Foremost a Businessman.  What's going to get more sales, LeBron James Buckeye gear...or LeBron James Zips gear?

There were these a couple of years ago...

akron-lebron7-home-01.jpg

And then they did these give aways...

lebron-james-akron-zips-olympic-gold_1_ac1e8efdd4be8697074fb4611f192faf.jpgs-l300.jpgC1go7OfW8AI0pVi.jpg

And then did this advertising...

LBJ-with-Nike-Sign-on-Akron-Uni.jpg

Even after all that...you're acting as if he hasn't been involved with UA at all.  I will admit, I was in your position a couple of years ago...wishing he'd support UA more.  But it HELPS his image to be pro State Ohio University, especially since he's back in Cleveland.  It HELPS his business.  And you think for a moment if they produced a Zips JAMES football jersey it would sell anywhere near as much as a Suckeyes one would?

Business is Business.  And I think he's been as involved with a university he didn't graduate from, than some alumni have been of their own alma-mater.  You can call be a hypocrite, because I've turned 180 on this issue.  But viewing this more objectively,  I have to say I've changed my stance.

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 3

Funny, comments are made about stopping the bitching and finding solutions.  I posted some ideas (LBJ being one) and I get slammed.  Did I say it was the answer NO.  It was a thought/idea around using high profile names to help attendance....you guys get all sensitive about him promoting OSU, you resent him for it and forget what he could do for us.  Unreal. Probably feel the same way about Tressel now to because he was former OSU coach and now YSU president.  Listening to the thin skinned responses from Akron 'Fans" on ZNO does give me insight to things.

IMHO - if Lebron was all about money and selfish, he would have never come back to the Cavs.  He is a good dude and loves where he came from.  C'mon he left this https://www.google.com/search?q=lebron+james+south+beach+house&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_h7moh-LUAhVGcz4KHaXeBT4Q_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=638

Edited by a-zip
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

How many OSU games is he at standing on the sidelines, wearing jerseys and making statements about how he wants to take one snap as a buckeye? 

How many games is he on the sidelines, wearing a zips jersey talking about how he wants to take a snap as a zip? 

I can answer... all the damn time for the nuts.... zip for the zips. Stop sucking down the lebron is great for UA football BS. 

How many buildings are named after him on OSU's campus, how many students is he sending to OSU on scholarship?

And I have consistently seen him, and his entourage at Zips football and Basketball games.  Hell, the one soccer game I took my son to, he was there.  At least one game each of the last 3 years has been "Lebron James Family Foundation Night" where all the students and families can come for free.

It's a question I ask each year.  What are you, what are any of us, personally doing to bring in crowds and improve the game experience?

I'm sure bitching at the top of your lungs about "Number of Stars don't matter" and being openly hostile to your own team really helps the game experience.  

Sitting on your hands when the team needs noise really helps the game experience.  Most of our fans are drunk and belligerent or bumps on a log, that really makes people want to come back.

I agree that calling Lebron out isn't the best argument. Most fans at any college game are drunk. What are you doing, gmann? I'd say all of us are doing as much as we can. Trying to create a fun gameday atmosphere (tailgaiting), buying season tickets, going to the games, inviting people to go. What else can we do? Calling people on this forum out about their fandom doesn't seem to be constructive.

Edited by LZIp

9 minutes ago, g-mann17 said:

How many buildings are named after him on OSU's campus, how many students is he sending to OSU on scholarship?

And I have consistently seen him, and his entourage at Zips football and Basketball games.  Hell, the one soccer game I took my son to, he was there.  At least one game each of the last 3 years has been "Lebron James Family Foundation Night" where all the students and families can come for free.

It's a question I ask each year.  What are you, what are any of us, personally doing to bring in crowds and improve the game experience?

I'm sure bitching at the top of your lungs about "Number of Stars don't matter" and being openly hostile to your own team really helps the game experience.  

Sitting on your hands when the team needs noise really helps the game experience.  Most of our fans are drunk and belligerent or bumps on a log, that really makes people want to come back.

I have 2 kids going to Akron, every time there is 20 or 30 kids over here for a big game or bomb fire I preach they are charging everyone of you $1,100 dollars a year to pay for the tickets to achieve minimum standards to stay D1, you get in free with Zips card so round up your friends & go.  I think I am donating a 30 foot camper to start their group to start tailgating & hopefully it grows

To me the way to grow attendance is through the student base.  The University has done its part with great facilities.  Now how do we get students to go enjoy the day.  Get the student base up & the environment gets more exciting & word gets out about crowds & excitement others will come.

All you here is people complain about attendance.  I know everyone is going to laugh but instead of bitching when you talk to someone tell them what a great stadium & experience, you really need to go instead of it's a shame, what great facilities & only 5k in attendance,  I know people who go tailgate & never go to games, so team needs to help as well

I want to see my alma mater succeed, let's spread good news instead of negativity 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I have 2 kids going to Akron, every time there is 20 or 30 kids over here for a big game or bomb fire I preach they are charging everyone of you $1,100 dollars a year to pay for the tickets to achieve minimum standards to stay D1, you get in free with Zips card so round up your friends & go.  I think I am donating a 30 foot camper to start their group to start tailgating & hopefully it grows

That is awesome! If you don't get students hooked while they are in school, its highly doubtful they will get hooked after they are gone. Donate the camper :)

3 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

To me the way to grow attendance is through the student base.  The University has done its part with great facilities.  Now how do we get students to go enjoy the day.  Get the student base up & the environment gets more exciting & word gets out about crowds & excitement others will come.

All you here is people complain about attendance.  I know everyone is going to laugh but instead of bitching when you talk to someone tell them what a great stadium & experience, you really need to go instead of it's a shame, what great facilities & only 5k in attendance,  I know people who go tailgate & never go to games, so team needs to help as well

I want to see my alma mater succeed, let's spread good news instead of negativity 

The STUDENTS!!!  I couldn't agree with you more.  They remain an absolute mystery to me, thus my thoughts on using high profile people to help promote or attract students and fans.  I JUST DON'T GET IT.  I never said my suggestions were the answer......I am just at a loss trying to understand the continued apathy around our teams.  I played in the Rubber Bowl.  Outside of Acme/Zip our attendance wasn't good either but I did understand that having an old stadium off campus had something to do with it.  That is not the case anymore.

2 minutes ago, a-zip said:

The STUDENTS!!!  I couldn't agree with you more.  They remain an absolute mystery to me, thus my thoughts on using high profile people to help promote or attract students and fans.  I JUST DON'T GET IT.  I never said my suggestions were the answer......I am just at a loss trying to understand the continued apathy around our teams.  I played in the Rubber Bowl.  Outside of Acme/Zip our attendance wasn't good either but I did understand that having an old stadium off campus had something to do with it.  That is not the case anymore.

It's one of the reasons I try an appeal to the wallet.  Get your friends to go, get attendance up so school doesn't have to buy tickets to reach D1 standards & save yourself $1,100 dollars a year.  Go, it's free, have fun & create a culture that it becomes the standard

• Like 2