You had to know I was coming......

Just beat Ohio U

Earned bowl eligibility for the second time in three years

One win away from securing the MAC East title

Playing cross-town rival Kent State at home

Weather won’t be horrible

New on campus stadium

Exciting football

Anything less than 15K in the seats would be a disgrace.

9 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I watched some of the NIU/WMU game tonight.  The NIU stadium looked pretty empty to me, and they went to the Orange Bowl a few years back.

I just came on to post about this!  It looks like 50 people all sitting together on the away bleachers!

1 hour ago, a-zip said:

That won't happen.  But I think 10k might be attainable if the media and campus get involved.  We need that buzz that this is a DIVISION TITLE clincher.  

39 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

The NIU stadium looked pretty empty to me, and they went to the Orange Bowl a few years back.

The key words being "a few years back"

It's actually been almost 5 years now, believe it or not.  

Edited by skip-zip

2 hours ago, a-zip said:

Just beat Ohio U

New on campus stadium

Exciting football

And the two schools are 15 miles away. It would be a joke not to get 15K. 

2 hours ago, a-zip said:

Just beat Ohio U

New on campus stadium

Exciting football

It's on a Tuesday night so that outweighs everything on that list.

2 hours ago, a-zip said:

Better be ready to laugh a lot then. No way do we get 15K. At best 10K will show up. Attendance will be reported to be higher but actual fans in the stands will be below 10K.

10 hours ago, a-zip said:

Plus we hired an AD on the basis of increasing attendance so he will see to it. We apparently sold almost 18K tickets for the OU game, although some of them did not attend the game. We should at least have similar ticket revenue for Kent.

Edited by ZippyRulz

8 hours ago, AyYo said:

It's on a Tuesday night so that outweighs everything on that list.

It shouldn't.   Not when most of the people on this forum think that all we have to do is win more, and people will come.  

Unfortunately, winning the MAC East doesn't mean squat to anyone who doesn't already have at least a mild interest in Zips Athletics.  

I just hope everyone who can actually influence crowd size does whatever they can to get a few thousand more people in there who want to make some noise and give us a little bit of "atmosphere" for such an important game in our history.  

54 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

It shouldn't.   Not when most of the people on this forum think that all we have to do is win more, and people will come.  

Unfortunately, winning the MAC East doesn't mean squat to anyone who doesn't already have at least a mild interest in Zips Athletics.  

I just hope everyone who can actually influence crowd size does whatever they can to get a few thousand more people in there who want to make some noise and give us a little bit of "atmosphere" for such an important game in our history.  

Apparently you didn't watch the NIU/WMU game last night, 2 programs that have had much more success in recent years than the Zips probably ever will.

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Plus we hired an AD on the basis of increasing attendance so he will see to it. We apparently sold almost 18K tickets for the OU game, although some of them did not attend the game. We should at least have similar ticket revenue for Kent.

How many of those were purchased by the University?:rofl:

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Apparently you didn't watch the NIU/WMU game last night, 2 programs that have had much more success in recent years than the Zips probably ever will.

Exactly my point.  Read my post again, where I was referencing those who think the problem will be solved if we just win more games.  Just winning more MAC football games is not what's going to make a significant difference.

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

The only thing that might be in our favor is that some will be kicking off Thanksgiving vacation and this is a great way to start it. In the end, it will come down to weather, though.

Unless there's a massive effort over the next 5 days to get the campus and community excited, I'm afraid that factors like people wanting to kick off their long weekend of partying, and decent weather, are going to make differences in the hundreds.  Not in the thousands, like we need.  

50 minutes ago, a-zip said:

Yes I do, thanks for asking.  And I live 7 hours away.

We thank you for that.  We can't get most of the people who live 7 MINUTES from the stadium to even think about going.  

5 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

We apparently sold almost 18K tickets for the OU game, although some of them did not attend the game. 

Some of them didn't show up?  I'd say probably 90% of them didn't use their tickets. 

I probably could have looked down at any point on Tuesday and counted, and I'd say there were more of us in the suites than there were in the stands. 

Sad.  

Take your shots when you get them if you are an Akron fan. IF, the weather is decent(for November 21) and the Athletic Department makes at least a little more effort to pub the game and its potential positive consequences they might get a bigger ACTUAL crowd than expected. Put some ads in the ABJ. Put some  stuff on the more popular radio stations. Spend some damn cash promoting your product. Problem with the OU game was most assumed a blowout on the OU side. Why come to watch that? There is a little more fan connection with the K.SWho game. Look,in 2005 several thousand people actually showed up for the Blizzard Bowl with those guys. Same scenario,win,you are in. If that many showed up under those conditions(some of us are still around) they can get a decent crowd on a far better Tuesday night.

Here's hoping you get good weather and a strong turnout of fans.  

I used to enjoy MACtion just because it was more football.  This year (with personal connections now to Akron, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Kent State, Miami, and Northern Illinois), I put the games in my schedule and feel bad if I miss one.