9100 Attendance

a-zip

46 minutes ago, a-zip said:

TB was out preaching and encouraging fans at the basketball game last night......he was fired up.  Problem was, there weren't many people at the basketball game.  Maybe it was because it was a Saturday ;)

I read that the sound system was so bad no one could understand what he was saying. I hope that wasn't  true.

1 hour ago, a-zip said:

TB was out preaching and encouraging fans at the basketball game last night......he was fired up.  Problem was, there weren't many people at the basketball game.  Maybe it was because it was a Saturday ;)

It looked like it was your typical "lets go get our free t-shirts and leave" game for the young folks.  I've never seen so many people in the lobby at 6pm, but never make it into the arena at 7pm. 

That sucks that it was our only opportunity to get him in front of a "crowd" of people before Tuesday night.   But like I said last week in another post, there's certainly other opportunities for Terry, his staff, and his players to make appearances around the University during the week, and get some buzz going for the big game.  

Edited by skip-zip

58 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

It looked like it was your typical "lets go get our free t-shirts and leave" game for the young folks.  I've never seen so many people in the lobby at 6pm, but never make it into the arena at 7pm. 

That sucks that it was our only opportunity to get him in front of a "crowd" of people before Tuesday night.   But like I said last week in another post, there's certainly other opportunities for Terry, his staff, and his players to make appearances around the University during the week, and get some buzz going for the big game.  

Speaking of shirts, I was unable to make the game last night so if anyone got one of the shirts in a size large, feel free to send it my way! Haha

I hope it is over 15K or will be embarrassed again as I was 3 years ago when I started this thread after convincing a bunch of my buddies to drive 7 hours for a game.  This is one of the biggest games in school history for all the reasons I have listed prior, the lethargy is, well.............not suprizing. .  Add to that we will be on ESPN and recruits will be watching.  Soccer is about to win another star, the basketball team is playing well.....all good mojo.  No excuses.  What is better than wrapping up the conference championship against Kent :rock:  Go Zips!!

Stinks you can't see the home side on TV, the away side looks pathetic. Surprised there aren't more people on that side.

Side note *** watching on TV, the Zips audio team needs to get some new songs. My goodness, they play the same 3-4 songs and none of them are new. Entertainment matters to the younger crowd, not winning any favors there.

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

I don't care what anyone says.  Most fun I've had at a Zips Football Home game in a long time.  Even more-so than the Ohio victory.  More students were there this evening than I thought would be.

GO ZIPS!

From where I sat, tonight's crowd was second only to the Pitt game, in the span of the last 4 years. It was a fun game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bruce Willis Drummond said:

To everyone who attended the game yesterday:

There were 16,000 fans there.  I hope you all were able to see what 16,000 fans look like and what 16,000 fans sound like.  Please remember this when tempted to buy into and/or justify the ridiculously inflated attendance numbers UA floats.

Thank you.

We already know that.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bruce Willis Drummond said:

There were 16,000 fans there.  I hope you all were able to see what 16,000 fans look like and what 16,000 fans sound like.  Please remember this when tempted to buy into and/or justify the ridiculously inflated attendance numbers UA floats.

Thank you.

And that's different from what other teams do....how?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bruce Willis Drummond said:

Thank you.

Why do we keep beating this dead horse?  Is there ANYONEon this form that ever...EVER... argues that it’s real?  Sheesh...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Why do we keep beating this dead horse?  Is there ANYONEon this form that ever...EVER... argues that it’s real?  Sheesh...

The funny thing is that he is assuming that 16k is real and there were not tickets given away that weren't used.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Beating LSU can do that for you

Yeah but they didn't do that util this year. They jumped 20% between 2015 to 2016 and they went 4-8 in 2015 in Brown's first year.

So what was it that the fanbase was excited about going into 2016 (they went 10-3) to get them to come out and support a previously 4-8 team?

Was it simply the promise of the new coaching staff ? Maybe it's just an anomaly. 

This article gives a little more detail but doesn't venture a guess to the "why" the dramatic increase.

http://www.troytrojans.com/news/2017/4/20/troy-football-attendance-improvement-among-nations-best.aspx

Edited by CDMac

1 hour ago, CDMac said:

Yeah but they didn't do that util this year. They jumped 20% between 2015 to 2016 and they went 4-8 in 2015 in Brown's first year.

So what was it that the fanbase was excited about going into 2016 (they went 10-3) to get them to come out and support a previously 4-8 team?

Was it simply the promise of the new coaching staff ? Maybe it's just an anomaly. 

This article gives a little more detail but doesn't venture a guess to the "why" the dramatic increase.

http://www.troytrojans.com/news/2017/4/20/troy-football-attendance-improvement-among-nations-best.aspx

Maybe it has something to do with the fact Troy Alabama is in the middle of freakin' nowhere!  Nearest cities - Macon GA is the biggest city besdies Montgomery AL.  It is in the middle of a very rural area.  There is no major sports teams with in hundreds of miles to compete with....I know we all are looking for something - ANYTHING - to figure out how we can boost attendance, but Troy's success at bringing in more fans has a lot to do with nothing else to do in Troy AL or anywhere within a 100 mile radius.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I haven't seen anyone post this yet. I apologize if I just missed it. The NCAA has released the attendance data for every team last season. Akron had the second largest increase in attendance for all of FBS from 10,337 in 2016 to 19,569 last year. 

Obviously winning must solve all problems! Or, maybe last year was the number fudging year to keep our multi-year average up.

Another interesting note is that the MAC was dead last in attendance league-wide at 15,394 per game. The Sun Belt came in 9th with over 2,000 more people per game.

You can also really see the divide between the P5 and G5. The lowest average attendance in P5 (ACC) was 48,442. The highest G5 average (American) was 28,669.

1 hour ago, UAZippers said:

Another interesting note is that the MAC was dead last in attendance league-wide at 15,394 per game. The Sun Belt came in 9th with over 2,000 more people per game.

I've witnessed some of this first hand.  A big difference in loyalty down South.  The businesses, people and alums of Lafayette support their team.  They decorate the friggin town on game days.  When have you seen that in Akron?  Likewise, Arkansas State grads don't bandwagon with Arkansas, and App. State grads don't bandwagon with the Tarheels.  There's something different with that hometown/homeschool loyalty culture here.  

Edited by skip-zip