9100 Attendance

a-zip

Who would be an interesting opponent in your opinion?

I hope you don't see this as me being sassy, I am genuinely interested in your knowing your answer.

I come to watch the Zips regardless of the opponent. They are all interesting to me, I guess. I don't believe in the fabled "Joe Akron" who's going to show up in droves someday. . . when we start winning. . . when we start bringing in interesting opponents. I don't believe in fairy tales & pipe dreams. What I believe in is supporting the school that you attended and earned your degree from. I realize I am an oddball but that is what I believe in.
Joe Akron didn't care about Indiana or Syracuse. The only people who did care were the Zips die-hards and the traveling fans from those 2 schools. The only opponent Joe Akron or the "average sports fan" as Zach puts it, is going to come out to see would be the Buckeyes, which is never happening.
  • Like 3

Article on college football attendance. More of the same from the past couple of seasons.

The only time when I worry about attendance is when I think about the destruction the athletic directors in the MAC have heaped upon the schools they work for by playing Tuesday and Wednesday night games and guaranteeing empty stadiums on national television. Other than that, I could care less. I have no control over who goes to games or how many; therefore, I don't care.

• Like 1

If it takes a school like Indiana, Syacuse, Purdue or others to get people in Akron motivated to come watch a game then Akron might as well fold the tent on football. Akron isn't going to all of a sudden join the B10 and get those kind of opponents.

Marshall had 31K+ for Ohio and has avged over 27K for the last 10 years, even from 05-12 when we was having down years our fans and alumni came to see Marshall and not the other school we were playing. Until those fans of Akron and alumni understand that you will never draw flies.

Not trying to put anyone down here but until the people in and around Akron realize that you go to see the home team and not the opposing school then all is lost.

Not trying to put anyone down here but until the people in and around Akron realize that you go to see the home team and not the opposing school then all is lost.

Thanks for the insight. But it's more a cultural thing. People in this state are head-over-heels crazy over the Scarlet and Gray. 95% of State Ohio fans never attended the institution, yet they only demand to watch that.

Even living within 2 miles of another D-I institution, they still prefer to watch State Ohio University. They're even willing to flush an entire saturday afternoon, and over $150 for ONE game, where the outcome is already decided before the teams even step on the field. We can't compete with that.

I love NE Ohio, but the people here stink. The stadium will never be completely filled again.

However, I am fully confident that regular 20k crowds are possible if we can sustainably win over a series of a couple of years.

It begins with the Alumni (who for the most part are pathetic losers, clinging to something that isn't theirs). It begins with the current student body. That devastating loss has an impact. Students were mockingly yelling "ZI" "PS" because the "PS" sounds like penis when you yell it. (I'm not making that up, there was a contingent of students doing that and saying EXACTLY THAT afterwards). All the students who would have given a damn were long gone.

Balsy I understand the OSU situation, but the truth is winning should cure all of that. Marshall was the worst program of the 1970s at any level. They won a total of 23 games from 1970-1979. From 1990-1999 Marshall was the winningest program at any level with 114 wins, Florida was 2nd with 112.

If you can keep Bowden and even start winning 7-8 games a year and 9-10 some years people should start coming to games. If you are winning more than losing then students will stay around on Sat. to watch. You won't covert every GUY/GIRL that was raised in Scarlet and Grey but you can some of them to have a decent crowd at home for most games.

I live in South Charleston, about 40 mins from Huntington and I see more WHO (WVU) gear than Marshall gear, well I did from 05-12. Since the WHO have moved to the B12 and are now one of the low men on the totem pole, more and more have been getting their Marshall gear back out.

If you can keep Bowden and even start winning 7-8 games a year and 9-10 some years people should start coming to games. If you are winning more than losing then students will stay around on Sat. to watch. You won't covert every GUY/GIRL that was raised in Scarlet and Grey but you can some of them to have a decent crowd at home for most games.

I agree with this. For now as fans I think we need to focus on being there to support the team through the hardships. This team still has a 7-5 season in it.

If it takes a school like Indiana, Syacuse, Purdue or others to get people in Akron motivated to come watch a game then Akron might as well fold the tent on football. Akron isn't going to all of a sudden join the B10 and get those kind of opponents.

Marshall had 31K+ for Ohio and has avged over 27K for the last 10 years, even from 05-12 when we was having down years our fans and alumni came to see Marshall and not the other school we were playing. Until those fans of Akron and alumni understand that you will never draw flies.

I am going to disagree with you on Marshall getting over 27,000 the last ten years. While having excellent attendance even in their down years, it's still simply not true. A quick scan of NCAA pdfs says otherwise.

2013 25,023

2012 24,896

2011 25,874

2010 27,046

2009 22,236

2008 24,766

2007 30,020

2006 26,031

2005 26,510

2004 25,933

I am going to disagree with you on Marshall getting over 27,000 the last ten years. While having excellent attendance even in their down years, it's still simply not true. A quick scan of NCAA pdfs says otherwise.

2013 25,023

2012 24,896

2011 25,874

2010 27,046

2009 22,236

2008 24,766

2007 30,020

2006 26,031

2005 26,510

2004 25,933

I'm more interested in the fact that The Great Recession started in December 2007 and that year was the high mark in these numbers. Only in one year since 2007 have they had an attendance above any number prior to The Great Recession. The had a decent year last year and still had a low average attendance. Something tells me winning is important, but in a poor state like WV, economics may be just as important.

I'd really be interested to see the attendance figures for MAClike conferences in the five years prior to and then after The Great Recession.

Maybe we should do what the "Big" ten is doing, tickets for $1.50!?!? How long can this last? Edit: Promotion pulled.

As long as ADs can continue to use taxpayer money to fund their stupidity, I guess forever. When you lower the price of your product to the cost of a couple of Diet Cokes, it doesn't say that much about your product. Now the price has been set.

This is a school that just issued a public bond for a quarter billion dollar renovation to their press box. A great example of how out of control the spending in college athletics has gotten. It's vulgar. For those of you financially challenged, when you issue a bond, you have to pay interest on the bond. That means the press box renovation actually cost the taxpayers of Michigan more than a quarter of a billion dollars. Congratulations to Michigan.

• Like 1

... This is a school that just issued a public bond for a quarter billion dollar renovation to their press box. ...

Your point would be better made without exaggerating. The $227 million renovation that was approved in 2007 was for the entire stadium, not just the press box. It included widening of aisles and individual seats, installing hand rails, and the addition of club seating for 3,200 and 81 luxury boxes in place of old bleacher seats and the original 1950s-era press box.

• Like 1

You're still missing a few big ticket items. :lol: But the Zips parallel is similar in one respect. UA built and opened a brand new stadium just as Zips football started hitting a low point. UM spent a fortune redoing the Big House just as Wolverine football started hitting a low point. Those 3,200 club seats and 81 luxury boxes that looked at one time like big profit makers are getting harder and harder to sell in Ann Arbor.

You're still missing a few big ticket items. :lol: But the Zips parallel is similar in one respect. UA built and opened a brand new stadium just as Zips football started hitting a low point. UM spent a fortune redoing the Big House just as Wolverine football started hitting a low point. Those 3,200 club seats and 81 luxury boxes that looked at one time like big profit makers are getting harder and harder to sell in Ann Arbor.

The infamous building process.

WOW the south hillside was only going to be used when the rest of the seating sold out. Depressing to look back at our hopes and dreams. Brookhart's last season, then iCoach. Now we're hoping for miracles (again) from TB. Right now I would settle to win the MAC regardless of whether or not "Joe Akron" exists and shows up. To hell with "Joe Akron". 2005 was fun. How many fans did the Zips draw that season? Alumni jumped on the bandwaggon to go to and see their alma mater in a Bowl game. Didn't Akron sell 15k tickets for that game?

WOW the south hillside was only going to be used when the rest of the seating sold out. Depressing to look back at our hopes and dreams. Brookhart's last season, then iCoach. Now we're hoping for miracles (again) from TB. Right now I would settle to win the MAC regardless of whether or not "Joe Akron" exists and shows up. To hell with "Joe Akron". 2005 was fun. How many fans did the Zips draw that season? Alumni jumped on the bandwaggon to go to and see their alma mater in a Bowl game. Didn't Akron sell 15k tickets for that game?

It seems that I finally agree with you on something Zip_ME87 :lol:

I think it was either GP1, DIG or Keener who convinced me of this (sorry I can't remember out of the three of you who it was) but they said that "enjoy the good times while we have them...we have a beautiful stadium that we get almost uninterruppted use of during game days...can't beat it." something along those lines.

I watch sports to be entertained, and to support my team. My team has sucked so bad for so long that 2013 season was a lot of fun, with a grand finally win against Toledo. THAT was a fun game.

We may not be BIG time, but we when we do win, I have a good time. So that's all that matters right?

Go Zips!

It seems that I finally agree with you on something Zip_ME87 :lol:

I think it was either GP1, DIG or Keener who convinced me of this (sorry I can't remember out of the three of you who it was) but they said that "enjoy the good times while we have them...we have a beautiful stadium that we get almost uninterruppted use of during game days...can't beat it." something along those lines.

I watch sports to be entertained, and to support my team. My team has sucked so bad for so long that 2013 season was a lot of fun, with a grand finally win against Toledo. THAT was a fun game.

We may not be BIG time, but we when we do win, I have a good time. So that's all that matters right?

Go Zips!

That grand finally victory was ah inspiring.

UA built and opened a brand new stadium just as Zips football started hitting a low point. UM spent a fortune redoing the Big House just as Wolverine football started hitting a low point.

The phrase "started hitting a low point" is an interesting perspective on what happened.

I would probably use the phrase, "was thrown into the abyss" to refer to UofA. The suddenness of it all was amazing. The truly amazing thing is the backward thinking AD who threw our football program into the abyss is still employed by UofA. An even more amazing thing is watching Bowden pull the program out of the abyss with relatively little to work with.

Michigan used their backward looking alumni as reinforcement for their bad decision to reject the modern game in favor of a "Michigan man". Michigan wasn't thrown into the abyss as much as they are experiencing death by 1,000 cuts right now. It's a much slower death for them.

In one year, our AD heaped more destruction upon the football program than Michigan has even come close to doing. How much more time does TW have on the clock anyhow?

• 3 weeks later...