Alex Abreu to Play at UWG [Western Georgia]

Akron1

Egner had so much basketball promise, and he just slid off into nothingness on the court to the point that he couldn't cut it in D-II. But apparently he's having lots of fun in other areas of life, so it seems that basketball wasn't a high priority for him despite his obvious abilities. I wish him the best and am left to wonder what could have been.

Come on ZipsNation! I can't believe you left it to a guy in the Hah Waiian Islands to provide the Trivia Touche' of the Day!:

Alex Abreu will be trying to follow in the footsteps of one of the greatest Cleveland Cavaliers of all time -- the legendary Clarence "Footsy" Walker, the pride of West Georgia State. http://www.cavsnews.com/20080316-1044.php

Alex's new roommate is @dortchthetorch

http://instagram.com/p/soUtyIoNBE/

UWG Signs Third Men's Basketball Recruit

Cooney has announced that guard Marcus Dortch will transfer to West Georgia from NAIA Southern Polytechnic State in Marietta. Dortch, a 6-3, 190-pound guard, is a native of Powder Springs and graduate of Hillgrove High School. He will be a junior when he joins the Wolves' program this fall

Egner had so much basketball promise, and he just slid off into nothingness on the court to the point that he couldn't cut it in D-II. But apparently he's having lots of fun in other areas of life, so it seems that basketball wasn't a high priority for him despite his obvious abilities. I wish him the best and am left to wonder what could have been.

If you recall, when he came here, the word I was getting on him from some who played and coached against him was...great athletic ability, but probably not enough basketball ability to play at our level. I think that's what we ended up seeing. But WOW, at certain times he was so much fun to watch. I loved his ability to elevate off the floor.

Skip, I remember. In retrospect I think it may have been more about priorities. Egner was a high school hero who helped bring a state championship to his school, and it appeared almost effortless. The leap to the D-I college level doesn't come without lots of focus and effort, as we've seen with a number of Zips players over the years. But even those who didn't make it with the Zips have gone on to do well in D-II. Surely Egner had enough ability to succeed at Walsh with even a modest level of focus and effort. I think other things became more important to him than basketball. I'll always remember him from watching his spectacular performance in the JAR during the HS playoffs and thinking what a great Zips player he could become. I wish him well in whatever productive things he chooses to do with his life.

Josh Egner was a cancer to the program, and it had nothing to do with his basketball ability.

• 4 months later...