The Cleveland Browns could ruin our soccer pitch

It won't get ruined nearly as bad as you might think. It's probably the most well-drained area of grass in Ohio. The pitch is tougher than you think, and the groundskeepers obsess over it. They'll keep it in great condition.

That's what I thought for awhile, too, about the drainage, but it's not true. Unfortunately, there are drainage issues mostly on the east side, especially near the goal. In 2012, we had a Spring game moved to the practice field. Last season they had to delay a game and squeegie the field to get the excessive water off of it after a mediocre rain. There was still water splashing up under the players' feet in the first half of the match, and the ball was slowed by the water. By the 2nd half, it had significantly improved. Sorry, but the Browns will F it up. It's what they do. Why does anyone want the worst organization in the NFL to come to our campus?

What would you think if UA paid the Browns rather than the Browns paying UA?

No reason to think about it, because that won't be the arrangement.

Couldn't agree more. The Browns suck.

The Browns are a team in THE National Football League, with a rabbid fan base that will do anything to see the team, despite it sucking so bad for so long. And if they do improve (even slightly) fans will be even more rabbid and demanding to see the team. Absolute no brainer to host the Browns camp. Unparalleled exposure to UA.

I think it would be great if the Browns would utilize the U for training camp. Hosting an NFL will pay great dividends. I mean, look what it's done for Wofford.

A curve ball is a nice pitch to throw when you are talking about a soccer field.

The Browns are a team in THE National Football League, with a rabbid fan base that will do anything to see the team, despite it sucking so bad for so long. And if they do improve (even slightly) fans will be even more rabbid and demanding to see the team. Absolute no brainer to host the Browns camp. Unparalleled exposure to UA.

Yes! Applications boomed for Lakeland Community College when the Browns were there in the 80's.

#ThinkSmaller and #Irrelevant. This should be Akron's permanent motto. How many D-I programs have an NFL team utilizing their facilities?

Getting excited about hosting the Browns for training camp is the epitome of #ThinkSmaller. It is beyond irrelevant. Take a look at the colleges that have hosted NFL training camps past & present. It is a list of institutions that just don't matter. Christ Almighty. The Browns used to set up camp at Can't for crying out loud.
  • Like 2

Getting excited about hosting the Browns for training camp is the epitome of #ThinkSmaller. It is beyond irrelevant. Take a look at the colleges that have hosted NFL training camps past & present. It is a list of institutions that just don't matter. Christ Almighty. The Browns used to set up camp at Can't for crying out loud.

Who's getting excited? It's a good way to get a little income from an outside source over the summer, and brings people to UA. Not entertaining ideas such as this is ridiculous. If you're running in the red, and have almost zero fans to begin with, what possible hurt could it do? Nothing, absolutely nothing. Of course I'm assuming people go to training camp (they do) and I'm assuming UA would be financially rewarded, or the bid wouldn't be made in the first place.

The possible benefit > The non-existent cons. Oh well I guess there is one con...they possibly, maybe, might, use the soccer field.

Ridiculous.

Who's getting excited? It's a good way to get a little income from an outside source over the summer, and brings people to UA. Not entertaining ideas such as this is ridiculous. If you're running in the red, and have almost zero fans to begin with, what possible hurt could it do? Nothing, absolutely nothing. Of course I'm assuming people go to training camp (they do) and I'm assuming UA would be financially rewarded, or the bid wouldn't be made in the first place.

The possible benefit > The non-existent cons. Oh well I guess there is one con...they possibly, maybe, might, use the soccer field.

Ridiculous.

As I questioned in the other thread (link), is there a cost-benefit analysis to show this would help UA's bottom line? I've heard that it may actually cost the UA Athletic Department. If we have to redo/repair the competition soccer pitch, who pays for it? You're making a lot of assumptions. I posted my concern because it is absolutely ridiculous to even consider for a nanosecond using our soccer-only competition field for football practice, especially that of a questionably-professional team with an unknown, if any benefit. No serious D1 athletics program would consider this. I thought "Hill Top High" went away some time ago, but I guess that was only when UA had an intelligent, thoughtful leader.

I'm with you, let's strive to be like Can't State from 1975-81, NOT!!

I think the Browns should move their camp back to BUGS where it was from 1946-51. They won the AAFC Championship in 46, 47, 48, & 49, and the NFL Championship in 50. The original Browns started at BUGS (the reason for their colors). The new Browns should have started there, too. They should have a redo.

ZZZips is pretty well connected with UA, so you can place a lot of confidence in what he posted earlier in this thread. Zips soccer fans can stop agonizing over the possibility of the Zips soccer pitch being violated by any non-soccer use.

I hope you and ZZZips are correct. I have no issue with the Browns coming to UA as long as: 1) THEY STAY OFF THE FIELD THAT CALEB PORTER BUILT (American football and soccer on the same grass don't mix) and 2) the university doesn't end up with additional financial burden.

#1 for me is supporting the Zips and UA. If this can benefit UA and not harm one Zips sport in favor of another, so be it.

EDIT: By the way, just because ZZZips hasn't heard it mentioned by university officials that they are considering our competition soccer pitch as a possible practice field in their proposal to the Browns doesn't mean they haven't. I also have some connections and know that they have, or I never would have raised this here. I likely would have thought that it was a goofy idea that someone wrote in an article. Given some of the questionable decisions in the past, I would have still thought it possible but not worthy of bringing up on this forum.

ZZZips is pretty well connected with UA, so you can place a lot of confidence in what he posted earlier in this thread. Zips soccer fans can stop agonizing over the possibility of the Zips soccer pitch being violated by any non-soccer use.

Are you saying soccer fans can stop pitching a fit about their field?

If you're running in the red, and have almost zero fans to begin with, what possible hurt could it do?

A decision to bring the Browns to Akron would require high level involvement on the part of the powers that be at UofA, meaning the President and those ranking officers most close to him including the bumbling boob who runs our Athletic Department who could screw up a two car funeral procession. There are only so many balls one can juggle in the air at once. We have a new President who has accepted a job at a University swimming in red ink. This would be a distraction from the important issues facing the University like the millions of dollars in red ink they are now swimming in and providing a top notch education for the students. I know it's hard for sports fans to understand, but they have bigger fish to fry than whether or not the Browns practice at UofA.

The soccer field is safe.

A decision to bring the Browns to Akron would require high level involvement on the part of the powers that be at UofA, meaning the President and those ranking officers most close to him including the bumbling boob who runs our Athletic Department who could screw up a two car funeral procession. There are only so many balls one can juggle in the air at once. We have a new President who has accepted a job at a University swimming in red ink. This would be a distraction from the important issues facing the University like the millions of dollars in red ink they are now swimming in and providing a top notch education for the students. I know it's hard for sports fans to understand, but they have bigger fish to fry than whether or not the Browns practice at UofA.

The soccer field is safe.

I agree with you that they do, but don't bet that they know that. Just because you're a "president" or among his "ranking officers" doesn't mean you know what you're doing and can't also be a bumbling boob. Just look to our nation's capital for unending proof of that.

Of course it's possible that even the best-connected people haven't heard about everything that could conceivably happen. I guess aside from a notarized contract signed by every executive at UA that they will absolutely not under any conceivable circumstance ever allow a non-soccer foot on the Zips pitch, some will continue to agonize. I hope no one's health suffers over this. ;)

Of course it's possible that even the best-connected people haven't heard about everything that could conceivably happen. I guess aside from a notarized contract signed by every executive at UA that they will absolutely not under any conceivable circumstance ever allow a non-soccer foot on the Zips pitch, some will continue to agonize. I hope no one's health suffers over this. ;)

You're overstating it just a little DiG. I said that I also have some connections and know that they [university officials] have considered offering the competition soccer field for the Browns, not that they conceivably could.

Akron football and soccer fans don't need the Browns on campus. What we need is for both programs to win, win, win, and win some more. If Akron football has a good season, the program itself will bring people to campus. Let's hope for a bowl season. Let's hope Penn State is the only loss, and let's hope we aren't required to bring pitchforks to Cub Cadet asking for Embick to be fired at the end of the season.

It is nice to think about people coming to campus, but we should all prefer to have people come for our programs and not for some crap organization from up north.

As long as you don't use the pitch forks on the field bobby, you should be OK.

GP1, i know you don't like soccer but I hope you've been to a UA soccer game before, it is a great experience and the field is very impressive. It is something us soccer fans are very proud of. We have one of the best fields in college soccer. Not something we want to give up on.

I understand people like the excitement the Browns could bring to campus over the summer if they moved their training camp to Akron. But i honestly think most of those Browns fans are diehard Buckeye fans that couldn't give a care in the world about Akron football.

If you want people to come to campus, want them to come for our teams.