Controversy

zipproud

With all of the news in the NFL with Ray Rice and domestic violence, I am curious to see where Akron and Coach Bowden stand on the domestic violence issue. I know Coach is one to give a second chance but we took in a player who was charged for domestic violence against a girl friend and kicked out of another program. With this becoming a controversial topic where does Akron go from here and what rules are put in place. Image is important when you are recruiting future players/parents.

A win against Marshall will be huge for the ZIPS!!!!!

2-1 BABY!!!!!!

Go ZIPS!!!!

I'm pretty sure we can all easily see where coach stands on this issue. Second chances are not a bad thing to give people: and if I'm not mistaken we've beaten the discussion about the transfer student who is currently on our roster, who was charged with domestic violence.

I think there is an important thing that needs to be said on this topic: these things are unacceptable, and we need to focus on rehabilitating those involved. People deserve second chances, but only after they show evidence that they have changed and have gone through a process of rehabilitation.

I would expect a high-character college head coach to evaluate each instance as a separate, individual situation, each with at least slightly different circumstances, level of severity and likelihood of rehabilitation. Fairly, honestly and objectively evaluate each case and try to do the best thing for all parties involved. Don't just wink and nod and say the best thing is to excuse the inexcusable because it will help produce more wins. I think Coach Bowden passes that test.

OMG. SMH. ESPN.

I'm glad someone feels the same way I do about ESPN. Between the endless discussion of the same top 10 college football teams all day long on ESPNU and being forced to watch guys who only really know about football comment on issues such as child abuse and domestic violence, I find it horribly bad entertainment. Funny that the first word in ESPN is "Entertainment" and they are getting that all wrong.

Espn should just change their entire name to the SEC network.

That's one way to look at it, but I prefer to not look at it from the wallowing in self-pity Big Ten perspective.

ESPN is bad entertainment because it has become the same story every week, if not every day in some cases. They just dressed up with different actors. It's truly a Disney show. I'd bet $100 that this week on Game Day, they will come back from commercial, the drunk crowd that was screaming all morning will be dead silent and Chris Fowler will go into a story about either the redemption of a college football player from hard times or a person who has some sort of terminal medical illness and used his love of a team/sport to get him through his tough days. My point is, I know people have it tough and it is very sad when they do. Although the sob story they did on the ND qb last weekend, including him spending 15 weeks in San Diego playing football, that Desmond Howard fun of was one I had little sympathy for. Watching sports is a release for people from these events that surround them every day and I'm not sure why we have to be "entertained" by those stories while waiting for a college football game to start. Those stories are f-ing depressing. When the story is over, Howard, Herbstreit and Pollack will be asked to comment on something that is not about football and they will all sound stupid doing it. It's like watching Johnson, Ditka, Jackson, et al comment about child abuse and domestic violence. Have the experts on football stick to commenting about football.

Last thing then I'll get off of this. College Scoreboard. Can they just get back to doing highlights? I don't need to see debates between Mark May (a guy who talks too fast to understand) and Lou Holtz (a guy who simply can't speak). I'm not interested in watching two stupid guys debate. Entertain me with some freaking highlights from all over the country.

If the astronauts from the Planet of the Apes came back to Earth, but they did not know what season it was and their only form of communication was the television they could flip to Fox News and ESPN. If ESPN was running a kid with cancer story they would suspect it was near the holidays. They could confirm it by tuning into Fox News and watching a story on The War on Christmas. The only difference would be the creatures on TV would be a form of apes and not humans.

Speaking of the Big 10, the question of the day from Mark Packer on SXM91 was how many Big 10 teams would run the table & win the MAC. Eddie George's response: 5. Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin & Nebraska.

Mark followed up with the comment that 5 or 10 years ago, such a question on a national broadcast would have been scoffed at and dismissed out of hand as ludicrous. Today, it is totally legitimate.

Speaking of the Big 10, the question of the day from Mark Packer on SXM91 was how many Big 10 teams would run the table & win the MAC. Eddie George's response: 5. Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin & Nebraska.

Mark followed up with the comment that 5 or 10 years ago, such a question on a national broadcast would have been scoffed at and dismissed out of hand as ludicrous. Today, it is totally legitimate.

Don't really see Penn State or Nebraska running the table. These guys are used to comparing teams in the conferences with the MAC teams always being on the road. Would PSU survive four road trips in the MAC? Probably not, and certainly not if they got NIU or BGSU on the road.

Everyone was waiting for you to throw on your big ten cape and leap to their rescue while making a dig at the SEC.

Exactly. It's the most insecure fan base in college football. PAC10 fans don't care about the SEC. ACC fans don't care about the SEC. Big 12....Whatever fans don't care about the SEC. Big Ten fans always feel the urge to try and defend themselves as it relates to the SEC. They are a bunch of babies. You would think that a conference that added Maryland and Rutgers would see how many viewers they added to their network on Dish 617,479 or whatever channel one wants to watch the Northwestern vs. Minnesota game on, and feel great about how all of that interest in central New Jersey is going to make their conference relevant again. Instead, they feel the need to take digs at a better conference.

Roflmao. Some of you are so butt hurt and insecure I feel sorry for you. I have said multiple times on here how I think the big 10 sucks. I'm not a fan of the B10 anymore than I'm a fan of the Mac. I root for my teams not the conference.

If you guys got rid of your sps and realized not every post is about OSU you would realize espn owns the sec network and pimps that conference non stop.

I honestly feel sorry for you guys that have to live with so much hate.

My "dig" was towards espn. Not the sec. I understand that wouldn't fit your agenda though.

One of the most enjoyable things is reading the hypocrisy from you. You are doing exactly what you accuse others of doing and you don't even see it. Constantly bashing OSU and the B10 and taking digs and then you say how fans of those teams bash the sec. The hypocrisy is thick

Now go ahead and pile on and attack. It's been a rough day. I could use a good laugh.

• Like 1

Roflmao. Some of you are so butt hurt and insecure I feel sorry for you. I have said multiple times on here how I think the big 10 sucks. I'm not a fan of the B10 anymore than I'm a fan of the Mac. I root for my teams not the conference.

If you guys got rid of your sps and realized not every post is about OSU you would realize espn owns the sec network and pimps that conference non stop.

I honestly feel sorry for you guys that have to live with so much hate.

My "dig" was towards espn. Not the sec. I understand that wouldn't fit your agenda though.

One of the most enjoyable things is reading the hypocrisy from you. You are doing exactly what you accuse others of doing and you don't even see it. Constantly bashing OSU and the B10 and taking digs and then you say how fans of those teams bash the sec. The hypocrisy is thick

Now go ahead and pile on and attack. It's been a rough day. I could use a good laugh.

Who could blame ESPN for pimping the SEC? They are the best conference. Who else would ESPN pimp? But really, I think ESPN pimps the top teams. Just so happens most of the top teams are from the SEC. The talking heads do a lot of cock pulling for FSU, Oklahoma, Stanford, Oregon and ND too. When USC and Texas are good they get a lot of attention as well.

But if there is this SEC bias as you say, you have to give a lot of credit to Mike Slive because he was very smart and partnered with the worldwide leader for the SEC Network. Jim Delaney was slightly less bright when he partnered with FOX for the Big 10 Network. FOX isn't in the position to pimp anything.