Wil Trapp

Happy to say I was at that Crew v DCU game in Cbus in which Wil ran down Espindola, took the ball to midfield and served up the perfect pass to Jiminez who scored. Celebrated that with Wil and his family in the Crew Stadium parking lot after the game. Great guy, Great player. So proud that he's a proud former Zip! Hope he and the U23's qualify for the Brazil Olympics in 2016. I would love to see him in another International match.

For those headed to tOSU tomorrow night, Wil will definitely be in the stands among the Zips fans. GO ZIPS! BeatTheBuckeyes!

• Like 1

Apologies to the AK Rowdies. I should never have told you to take it easy on the "PT FC" when Wil arrived. You'd never see CP posing with Brutus. He would've made Brutus feel so bad he'd have taken his nuts home like the asst ref who took his flag and stormed out of the elite 8 game vs Cal in 2010. ;):NCAAC:

Apologies to the AK Rowdies. I should never have told you to take it easy on the "PT FC" when Wil arrived. You'd never see CP posing with Brutus. He would've made Brutus feel so bad he'd have taken his nuts home like the asst ref who took his flag and stormed out of the elite 8 game vs Cal in 2010. ;):NCAAC:

What does "PT FC" mean? Portland Timbers Football Club?

:rofl:

True Story:

August, 2009. I was watching pre-season practice directly after mowing my lawn. Like so many in this state, I did so wearing an old, beat-up, dirty Buckeyes cap that was barely even intact. You know, the kind of hat with the ring of salt deposits from all the sweat. Nice.

Anyway. As the Zips were leaving the practice field, I shouted encouragement, something generic like “Championship this year, boys!”. CP looked directly at me through the twilight. Stopped. He walked deliberately over to me. He recognized me even if he could not identify me by name. Within five feet of me, he pointed his finger in my face, those crazy intense eyes staring unflinchingly into mine.

CP: From where did you graduate?

Me: Here, coach. From Akron. You know that.

CP: Ever attend Ohio State?

Me: Never.

CP: That’s right. Why do you have that on your head?

Me: Just mowing the lawn in it.

CP: Are you all in with what we are doing here? Are you one of us?

Me: Uh, of course I am.

CP: Younger fans, students, watch you older folks. I do not want you to wear anything Buckeyes again. They are our rivals.

Me: OK, coach. (Stunned, I removed my filthy cap.)

CP: Give me that.

I sheepishly gave him the hat. Without a word, he took it, pivoted, and stalked off to join the team. He never smiled. He did not turn around to see what I was doing. He just left.

I looked around for witnesses; there were none.

I have not worn anything Ohio State since that day. I have been systematically trading in all that Buckeye gear for Zips stuff every time we host them.

• Like 3

True Story:

August, 2009. I was watching pre-season practice directly after mowing my lawn. Like so many in this state, I did so wearing an old, beat-up, dirty Buckeyes cap that was barely even intact. You know, the kind of hat with the ring of salt deposits from all the sweat. Nice.

Anyway. As the Zips were leaving the practice field, I shouted encouragement, something generic like “Championship this year, boys!”. CP looked directly at me through the twilight. Stopped. He walked deliberately over to me. He recognized me even if he could not identify me by name. Within five feet of me, he pointed his finger in my face, those crazy intense eyes staring unflinchingly into mine.

CP: Younger fans, students, watch you older folks. I do not want you to wear anything Buckeyes again. They are our rivals.

I sheepishly gave him the hat. Without a word, he took it, pivoted, and stalked off to join the team. He never smiled. He did not turn around to see what I was doing. He just left.

I have not worn anything Ohio State since that day. I have been systematically trading in all that Buckeye gear for Zips stuff every time we host them.

Awesome! I saw CP give another fan wearing a Buckeye cap all kinds of crap at a meet the team event on the 5th floor of Infocision Stadium. Even though he graduated and played for a B1G school, he truly loved our (his/our) program at Akron. He celebrated its history and truly believed he could take it to new heights like he did. He really believed Akron could be more than a mid-major, too. But, of course, that assumes that all alumni and students support the Zips like those on ZN.o.

I remember talking to him after the Zips defeated IU 1-0 in the Notre Dame Tournament. He remarked how awesome it was to defeat his alma mater, AGAIN!

I feel a little bad for getting on Wil. He's a Columbus homegrown and a great player. So, the Crew looks to him to be a face of the team around the city, including, unfortunately for us and him, tOSU. I'm sure that involves some things he'd rather avoid, but his connection to the Crew's fans helps them put butts in their seats. I can guarantee everyone here Wil was sitting next to me and applauding for the Zips. He was upset/worried like the rest of the Zips fans when the Buckeyes scored the goal to tie the game at 1-1. He was as happy as any Zips fan when we took the lead, got the third goal, and watched Jake save that pk.

What does "PT FC" mean? Portland Timbers Football Club?

Yes. Sorry. The AK Rowdies were holding up a Timbers Army scarf and chanting "P-T F-C" at the people in the crowd wearing Crew gear.

Understood about Wil having duties to both his hometown and to his employer. And what is the infraction anyway? Cavorting with a mascot?

But we would be remiss if we did not give him the business.

He is one of us. He can take a ribbing when needs be.

Understood about Wil having duties to both his hometown and to his employer. And what is the infraction anyway? Cavorting with a mascot?

But we would be remiss if we did not give him the business.

He is one of us. He can take a ribbing when needs be.

I agree. I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I think Wil deserves "the business", too, mostly for re-tweeting that picture.

True Story:

This story is great. Porter is one of a kind

• 2 weeks later...

Soccer | Crew: Players double as volunteers Lampson, Trapp lend hand as coaches at alma maters

EDIT: Hopefully, with Wil volunteering at his alma mater, Gahanna Lincoln HS will feed the Zips some more Wil Trapps and Saad Abdul-Salaams.

• 2 weeks later...

High praise for Wil from Thierry Henry after the Crew defeated the NY Red Bulls yesterday.

“Wil Trapp was outstanding today,” Henry said. “I know (Federico) Higuain usually gets all the (credit), their striker will get (some too) I’m sure because he scored two goals, and (Ethan) Finlay wasn’t bad either, but Wil Trapp is the key of that team.

“Today, he was giving the tempo of the team, bringing the ball out from the back, Higuain doesn’t have to drop and get the ball, he will get it in a good position because Wil Trapp does his job. Difficult to stop. He has, hopefully for him, a good future. As Americans, you should be happy.

“Today I thought he was the difference.”

WilTrappColumbusCrew1-RedBulls-USATODAYS

• Like 4

Columbus Crew's Wil Trapp admits to getting "goosebumps" when hearing praise from Thierry Henry

...“It’s a great honor to hear that from one of the greatest players to ever play the game,” he said. “To single me out for a game I played, it’s pretty awesome. Obviously, it makes you feel good. But so many guys played well; everyone played well. It’s not even fair to single out one player.”

...“He’s obviously a great student of the game, and when he speaks you should listen because he has a great understanding of the game,” Trapp said.

...“You get goosebumps,” he said. “To hear one of your role models and idols growing up say that about you is fantastic.”

B0g8WD1IQAEw7BP.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.visitgahanna.com/plan/itinerary-ideas/itinerary-details/2014-holiday-lights-parade-celebration

The fun kicks off on Sunday, November 23 in Olde Gahanna when TWO popular annual events are rolled into one big (free) holiday bash, from 5-8 pm. The magical Holiday Lights Parade steps off at 6 pm, starting at Shull and Granville Streets. It will head west on Granville, continue north on Mill St,
turn east on Walnut St., then head south on High St. Wil Trapp of the Columbus Crew will serve as Grand Marshal!

• 3 weeks later...

Wil Trapp to "Camp Cupcake"? ... would be awesome.

Breaking Down Klinmann's Options for January 2015 Camp

Dillon Serna is also mentioned as a long shot.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Teal Bunbury is also mentioned.

• Like 1