Zips @ Wake Forest Demon Deacons

PKs should be automatic. We all know that is not the case. :horse:

Considering only the physical laws of the universe, every PK everywhere should be converted. The primary obstacle is psychological.

Much better players than 8Victor Souto have missed PKs in much worse fashion. Ref. Roberto Baggio WC 1994.

This was a loss, but not a bad loss. I am more concerned about surrendering 2 goals within 5 minutes than I am about failing to convert the PK.

Onward and upward! UAB has RPI points for the taking!

I agree about the concern over giving up 2 goals in 5 minutes. Breakdowns like that should not happen.

As far as PKs, I think most, if not all coaches, select one player to take the PKs throughout the season. They'll often make a change when a player misses one unless he's had a good record taking a number of them. However, I disagree with the philosophy of having one "go to" PK taker. Every player has tendancies in how they take shots at the goal. PK tendancies can easily be scouted. I think that it might be wiser to have 2 or 3 "go to" PK takers. Every player should be comfortable taking PKs. It's part of the game and is often necessary to advance in tournament situations. Players at the D-1 college level should be so competitive that they want to be that guy who makes the PK needed for the team to advance. No player should say they don't want to take a PK.

I agree about the concern over giving up 2 goals in 5 minutes. Breakdowns like that should not happen.

As far as PKs, I think most, if not all coaches, select one player to take the PKs throughout the season. They'll often make a change when a player misses one unless he's had a good record taking a number of them. However, I disagree with the philosophy of having one "go to" PK taker. Every player has tendancies in how they take shots at the goal. PK tendancies can easily be scouted. I think that it might be wiser to have 2 or 3 "go to" PK takers. Every player should be comfortable taking PKs. It's part of the game and is often necessary to advance in tournament situations. Players at the D-1 college level should be so competitive that they want to be that guy who makes the PK needed for the team to advance. No player should say they don't want to take a PK.

I like your idea. I would add 13Sean Sepe and 10Adam Najem to the rotation.

I like your idea. I would add 13Sean Sepe and 10Adam Najem to the rotation.

In my experience a team has their one penalty taker whom takes the penalties when they are on the field no matter what. Examples are: Gerrard, Pirlo, Ronaldo, Donavon, and Scott Caldwell from a couple years back. I just think as a coach Jared needs to scold who ever posted the video of Victor taking the PK at the Tulsa game. Players usually have a side they go to on a regular basis so why would we want to show the world where one of our PK takers likes to go??

Here is the video evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8cv25E39S4#t=45

In my experience a team has their one penalty taker whom takes the penalties when they are on the field no matter what. Examples are: Gerrard, Pirlo, Ronaldo, Donavon, and Scott Caldwell from a couple years back. I just think as a coach Jared needs to scold who ever posted the video of Victor taking the PK at the Tulsa game. Players usually have a side they go to on a regular basis so why would we want to show the world where one of our PK takers likes to go??

Good point! Why scout for future opponents?

Moratorium on video replay of OUR PKs! PKs are rarely anything special anyway.

PKs the biggest mistake is the player that was fouled wants to take it and there is the factor that he usually just got tackled to the ground and emotion is too high. Agreed better to take a random rotation of 3-4 and Laryea may not be a bad add to mix either. The more shifty and unorthodox in the approach the better and he seems to have that in him.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/093014aaa.html

The goals were combined effort CBs/GK but 20 Ruhaak was around both. First one easy split of 3 Saad RB covering inside n 20, rather simple shot once he got the ball in the gap. Keeper hesitated to come out, needed to meet the man. Second one 20 covered far post at best where the shooter would have to cross over his body to pull that off, keeper was shading that same far side. Open area was near and the side he was running towards, where the shot would usually go and then went.

They have played well last several games esp against Tulsa so they get a pass on this one away. This thread started by statement that the GK/CBs needed to get it together and that was the story line other than lackluster work in the mid H1. Team should win v UAB at home as long as Clay AM does not get loose.

That's my experience, too, that teams have their one penalty taker. I've seen it also with Higuain in Columbus, and I believe he's had several blocked. That's why I think it might be wiser to go with multiple PK takers. As far as the video, I agree we shouldn't post and make it easy for our opponent but they would likely get the footage somehow anyway. If you had 3 or so PK takers, they wouldn't know as easily whom to expect. Laryea, Holthusen, Sepe, Najem, Abdul-Salaam can all score in the run of play. You'd think any one of them along with Victor could make PKs.

To be honest, it wasn't all that bad of a PK take with power, but it was right in the path of the diving keeper. It would be better, if he placed it in the top of the net where the keeper cannot reach, but that would be world class. Just my opinion, but I bet most right footed players at the college level kick to the left side of the net a majority of the time.

gr-goalie-dive-300.gif

While it does not show the tendencies of what a right footed shooter does, most shooters are right footed and under pressure the population shoot lefts (54 to 38%). Keepers are also oriented under pressure to go to their right. Interestingly it is amazingly even both shooter and keeper when the game is tied.

Source: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/02/138922339/under-pressure-soccer-goalies-tend-to-dive-right

This study in also kind of cool. It suggests that there is a double distribution of average (poor) saving percentage and very good saving percentage based on the ability to properly read cues and process and react to that information.

http://news.discovery.com/human/penalty-kicks-world-cup.htm

It is very easy to 2nd guess players on PK's

We all remember that Zarek Valentin (a great player) had the first PK stopped by the goalie against Virginia in NCAA final.

The Virginia goalie said after the final that he had watched Zarek kick to one side against UNC in the semis and he suspected that Zarek would go to the other side (in the final) and Zarek did. 20/20 hindsight is always great. The Virginia goalie said he had a huge advantage because he had watched Akron against UNC on Friday night.

If Zarek had gone to same side and was stopped, us fans would have given Zarek grief for being too predictable.

Goalies have to guess....sometimes, they guess right. Victor has proven time and time against that he is super passionate (many times too much)

Victor is going to give 110 percent every time on PK's. Let's not write him off based on one good result and one bad result.

Scott Caldwell is always going to be viewed at Mr. Clutch based on 2010. Scott and Ampai are probably my two favorite all time zips based on their creativity and thinking but even Scott had a huge missed PK against Creighton in Caleb's last year. As ME87 said very correctly, PK's are not a sure thing

It is very easy to 2nd guess players on PK's

We all remember that Zarek Valentin (a great player) had the first PK stopped by the goalie against Virginia in NCAA final.

The Virginia goalie said after the final that he had watched Zarek kick to one side against UNC in the semis and he suspected that Zarek would go to the other side (in the final) and Zarek did. 20/20 hindsight is always great. The Virginia goalie said he had a huge advantage because he had watched Akron against UNC on Friday night.

If Zarek had gone to same side and was stopped, us fans would have given Zarek grief for being too predictable.

Goalies have to guess....sometimes, they guess right. Victor has proven time and time against that he is super passionate (many times too much)

Victor is going to give 110 percent every time on PK's. Let's not write him off based on one good result and one bad result.

Scott Caldwell is always going to be viewed at Mr. Clutch based on 2010. Scott and Ampai are probably my two favorite all time zips based on their creativity and thinking but even Scott had a huge missed PK against Creighton in Caleb's last year. As ME87 said very correctly, PK's are not a sure thing

I didn't intend to sound like I was writing Victor off. I was questioning whether it might be better to have more than one guy take PKs. I was told that Blair Gavin was almost automatic on PKs because he could see which way the GK started to move during his approach and then shoot the other way. Restrepo didn't move in the Virginia game, and Blair sorta froze as he approached the ball and ended up kicking it over the goal. GKs don't always guess either. They watch the PK taker's approach and sometimes pick up which way the player is going. That still doesn't always work if the PK taker can put the ball out of the GK's reach or can make it look like he's going one way then go the other. As with most things, there's no perfect answer. I just thought it might help to have multiple players take the PKs so it's a little less easy to scout tendancies.

8Souto should remain in the PK rotation.

Scotty's OT PK miss vs. Creighton in 2012 was the most painful PK result I have ever endured, as fan, as coach, or as player. :cry: And believe you me, I have a long list of miseries.

Thanks for slicing open the scar tissue.

I apologize in advance for doing this, but since buflobo brought it up:

the most painful PK result for me was Blair Gavin's going over the goal at Wake Med Soccer Park, Cary, NC after David Meves had made a couple of awesome saves to keep the Zips in contention for the 2009 National Championship.

Wil Trapp's and Scotty's vs Creighton were equally #2. Horrible way to close out Caleb's tenure at Akron along with the tenures of Scotty, Chad, David Meves, Thomas Schmitt, DeAndre, Wil, Dillon Serna.

• Like 1

the most painful PK result for me was Blair Gavin's going over the goal at Wake Med Soccer Park, Cary, NC after David Meves had made a couple of awesome saves to keep the Zips in contention for the 2009 National Championship.

Same here. That was a very long drive back home. 2010 at least eased the pain of that one a little.

• Like 1