Womens basketball

zippyball

From what I know, Sina King has been looking really good in practice so far. She's THE leader of this team. There's other players coming back that didn't get the quality minutes like Cassell, Luburgh, Tecca, and Young did last season, but still got a good chunk of minutes and were productive.

Roster breakdown(* next to my projected starters) :

Seniors(1) : Sina King*

Juniors(5) : Megan Barilla, Anita Brown*, Therany Dunnigan, DiAndra Gibson*, Katie Nunan*

Sophomores(4) : Hannah Plybon*, Alex Ricketts, Hannah Scipio, Sophia Simone

Freshmen(6) : Alli Ball, Greta Burry, Kaitlyn Flowers, Lauren Hung, Kerri McMahan, Megan Sefcik,

I think this team will have growing pains, but they'll still finish in top half of the MAC. Do I see them repeating as MAC Tournament Champs? Of course not. But I think they could spoil it for a couple teams.

I think Plybon will start at PG. Barilla may start the season at PG, but I think Plybon will eventually take over the starting PG position and Barilla will provide a spark off the bench. I have Brown at the 2, Gibson at the 3, King at the 4, and Nunan at the 5.

If you're looking for players that nobody really knows anything about that could make a big impact on this team, I'll give you four names. Personally, I think anyone on this roster that's a sophomore or freshmen can surprise people, these are the four I believe have the best chance this season to have a big impact.

Alex Ricketts, Hannah Scipio, Alli Ball, and Kerri McMahan. I think Hung, Sefcik, Burry, and Simone can contribute as well, but as in for an entire season, these may be the best bets. Didn't know about Flowers until a week ago, so I'll have to see her a little bit more to know what she can contribute to the program, but this team is definitely not low on talent. It's all up to the coaching staff now to develop them, and I don't know anyone I trust more than Coach Kest & staff.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought Kerri McMahan and Alli Ball would be two key freshmen this year, but like Plybon last year, I just didn't expect the freshmen to catch on this quickly to Coach Kest's demands of her team. I thought coming off the bench would be where they would be and then come maybe come MAC time, they would be good enough to start potentially. I liked what I saw in the freshmen and the veteran players. Very excited to see where this team can go. Here's how I feel the MAC is at right now. The MAC West is a two team race, and I believe that the MAC East is a three, maybe four team race.

My early predictions:

MAC West: 1. Ball State, 2. Central Michigan, 3. Toledo, 4. Western Michigan, 5. Northern Illinois, 6. Eastern Michigan

MAC East: 1. Bowling Green, 2. Buffalo, 3. Akron, 4. Ohio, 5. Can't State, 6. Miami(OH)

Tourney seeds: #1 Ball St, #2 Central Michigan, #3 Bowling Green, #4 Buffalo, #5 Akron, #6 Ohio, #7 Toledo, #8 Western Michigan, #9 Northern Illinois, #10 Eastern Michigan, #11 Can't State, #12 Miami(OH)

The Lady Zips had an excellent second, led by a great game from Anita Brown and Sina King, and beat Binghamton by 31 Again I thought the freshmen did very well, especially Burry and Ball off the bench. Looking forward to see how they do against a good Northern Kentucky team that won 18 games last year.

Some surprising results in the MAC yesterday:

Eastern Michigan 127, Can't State-Tuscarawas 40 = First, the only reason why I know Can't State-T has a team is because someone from my alma mater is on the team there. They only brought five players to the game I believe, and it wasn't pretty. It's pathetic on what EMU did here. Why are you even scheduling this as a game?!?!?!? I understand an exhibition(or maybe a game near finals week in December), but a game(to start the season)?!??!?!?!?!?!

Ohio 111, Murray State 60 = From what I read, Ohio just couldn't miss from 3. I had them as my sleeper team in the MAC because of their coach, but I'm not sure if they can be considered sleepers by the time MAC play starts up.

Western Michigan 63, Illinois State 41 = WMU had a problem scoring early on, but they got going and never looked back in the 2nd half. Very similar to the Akron game. Only difference here is WMU played without two of their better players.

Northern Illinois 55, Illinois State 51 = I don't expect much from the Huskies, but it's a bit of a in-state rivalry game, and first time in a long time that NIU women's basketball program has beaten Illinois State two years in a row.

Purdue 66, Ball State 60 = I feel like Ball State is the best team on paper, and yes this was in Muncie, but they had every opportunity to beat Purdue. I think they will be the favorites to win the MAC, and if it's not the Lady Zips, I hope it's them. Their coach is a classy guy, and does things the right way. Plus, he's a really good coach and his team plays well against big schools all the time.

Bucknell 53, Bowling Green 52 = BG won't be as good as last year, but you have to expect that after losing Rogers and Halfhill. I expect their transfer players to start improving as the season goes on, but we'll see how much they improve this season.

Siena 58, Buffalo 50 = I expect them to be a team that will contend for the MAC East title. This game surprised me that they lost it. Still wrapping my head around this one.

Cleveland State 81, Toledo 71 = Lady Rockets just aren't the same like they used to be in WBB. They're in a rebuilding mode, and young players with growing pains. We will see how they do, but not expecting much from them.

North Dakota State 74, Can't State 68 = Their problem was they haven't had talent there in the past couple years. They got some young talent now, but still not good enough to compete for anything other than spoiling other programs' seasons.

More and more I'm starting to think that Akron may win the MAC East. With their MAC schedule, it favors them to only have a maximum of 3-5 losses in the conference. It'll be interesting to see how they do here in non-conference play. Hopefully they keep improving, and make another magical run during the MAC tournament.

More and more I'm starting to think that Akron may win the MAC East. With their MAC schedule, it favors them to only have a maximum of 3-5 losses in the conference. It'll be interesting to see how they do here in non-conference play. Hopefully they keep improving, and make another magical run during the MAC tournament.

That'd be awesome. I'm actually really excited to follow the team this year. I followed them a lot last year, but I'm going to pay close attention to them this season. They started strong last night and then lost their grove for about 10 min in the first half after Binghamton hit consecutive threes. They showed steady improvement throughout the game though.

It'll be fun to watch the lady zips the of the season. Kerri McHahan looks very impressive, great replacement for Kacie Cassell.

I think Alli Ball could be a good replacement for Rachel Tecca, but most people will say "you can't replace her". I believe Ball, and if needed, Greta Burry, can produce Tecca numbers.

I think the position that intrigues me the most is the 3(SF) position. The player tree has been incredible. Murphy teaching Luburgh, Luburgh teaching Brown, and eventually I see Brown teaching Sefcik.

I've been saying this quietly to just my friends, but willing to say it openly now. I think this freshmen class has the ability to win MULTIPLE postseason games in the NCAA tournament. Before Kaitlyn Flowers walked on, I kept hearing the freshmen calling themselves #FabFive. The fact they know the reference tells you what basketball junkies they are and the self-confidence they have while playing basketball. I fully expect them all to impact this team this year, which means great depth again this season. That's the only reason why we're not back-to-back MAC champions. CMU just had more depth than us in that 2013 MAC Championship game. I can name at least 10 players that can have a big game on any given night. Now that's called depth.

The fact this team averaged 82 PPG last year, losing Tecca/Cassell/Luburgh/Young/Guyton, freshmen playing a huge role, and you still scored 80 points in your first game tells you this team can improve a lot. Sure, the other team probably helped in the 80 point performance, but you can say that in scenarios last season as well. I can't wait to watch this game today on video stream while on my plowing break.

I'm very intrigued to see the journey this team makes this season. There will be ups and downs(and by that, not small ones. Canyon deep and mountain peak type of ups and downs), but I see the potential reward being greater at the end of the season. The veteran presence and youthful "swag", make this an interesting team to watch this season.

Lady Zips 82
NKU 49

Each of the first two games, this team comes out slow. But they get better in the game as the game goes along. Except for garbage time today, which is understandable with a young team, the defense was much, much better. Offensively, this is normal.

AKR Scorers: Anita Brown(JR) 22, Sina King(SR) 17, Hannah Plybon(SO) 16, Kerri McMahan 10(FR), DiAndra Gibson(JR) 6, Megan Barilla(JR) 3, Alex Ricketts(SO) 3, Lauren Hung(FR) 3, Katie Nunan(JR) 2.

Very excited for Tuesday's game. Hopefully the snow ends before or holds off until the game ends so I don't have to go to my second work instead of the game.

Back to actual basketball on this forum, the Lady Zips came back from a 12 pt deficit and won 82-73 against a very, very good Northern Iowa team. They were picked to finish 2nd in the Missouri Valley Conference, which is always a good conference for RPI if you can beat a team from that conference, let alone the 2nd place projected UNI Panthers.

Another tough one against Horizon League contender Valparaiso. Torn between going to the football game at Can't or going to this game. I might DVR the football game and head to the JAR Tuesday night.

Also, forget about All-MAC freshmen team. Kerri McMahan might make the All-MAC first or second team as a freshman.

Another tough one against Horizon League contender Valparaiso. Torn between going to the football game at Can't or going to this game.

Can't game for sure. I'm going to go to as many Lady Zips games as I can this year, but you can't miss the best Rivalry in college sports. ;)

That rivalry shouldn't be bigger than the whole season, and I'm disappointed in the football team right now. I'll make my decision next Tuesday by how tonight's game is played.

I agree. But the rivalry game only comes once a year...the Women's basketball team has the whole season ahead of it plus two rivalry games. Even if the Zips are 4-7 going into the Can't game....I'll be there.

Women's BBall I plan on going to both Can't games.

But Can I say: this WBB team has got spunk! I didn't get to follow the game because I was busy at work, but looking at the box score they powered back! AWESOME!! Sina King = BEAST

A great comeback win for the lady zips! This team is much more than Sina and Anita. Burry had a couple of big baskets when they got down early, Plybon had some clutch baskets down the stretch including a killer three to seal the deal and Gibson was a monster on the boards! I can't wait for the Valpo game.

If the Lady Zips play like they did in the second half on a consistent basis, this team will be better than last year's team.

Also, what a nice athletic play by Anita Brown here:

Just a little side note here: Lady Zips are averaging 86 points per game, and are only giving up 59 points per game. That's a 27 point margin of victory.

Lady Zips should win Friday, and then should be playing Siena on Saturday. A win over Siena would really help our RPI with Siena currently at #10 in the RPI.
  • Like 1