Womens basketball

zippyball

Lady Zips beat Belmont 73-58. Mile High City, holiday tournament, and a young team on their first road trip were reasons why I think this is why they had a rough start today. Hopefully they grow from it and play a lot better against Siena. If not, the Lady Zips will lose their first game of the season.

Lady Zips got off to a slow start but put away a decent Belmont team that has played a tough schedule and played Vanderbilt very tough. Katie Nunan was outstanding in the second half with 17 points. She was playing very well at the end off last year but has gotten off to a slow start this year until today, if this is the start of that kind off play LOOK OUT. The freshmen struggled a bit early but they will learn to handle the road travel and Kerri was pretty good down the stretch.

Siena is off to their best start in over two decades, so someone's historical start to the season will end tomorrow. Let's hope we finish this trip strong!!!! #Finish #TurnUp #AllIn

The next game for the Lady Zips after Siena tomorrow at 4:30, will be December 5th vs Morehead State...another top 50 RPI team...

I know I will get hammered for this.i just can't wacth womens b-ball.even the womens pro league teams would get beat by any

boys high school team.i hope they do well. I just can't watch the sport.it's like womens usa soccer would get destroyed

by the akron mens team.i .womens v-ball,golf,softball I can watch.

my best friend coaches girl's softball. I go to all the time.why? because I could not hit a fastpitch softball.

I don't have kids playing sports, so I guess that's some of my problem.

So because women don't have the same athletic ability as a man its not worth your time to watch? That's okay. Don't watch. Some of us can appreciate the skill with which girls can play the game, support the athletes that represent our university and enjoy it. I hope you never have a daughter that plays sports so you want have to endure watching them play.

• Like 1

MDZip, I can't thank the great Mack Rhoades enough for hiring Coach Kest. Akron has and will continue to benefit from Coach Kest being at the helm of this program. These freshmen are going to make a huge impact this season. Other than McMahan, the freshmen that would have made the biggest impact would have been Sefcik, in my opinion. She's been out with an injury, and I expect her to be redshirted. I'm expecting this freshmen class to become the winningest class in Akron women's basketball history in 4 years.

I wasn't expecting much this year to be honest. I was expecting a down year, somewhere between #4-#9 seed in the MAC tourney with basically bench players from a year ago and incoming freshmen as the core of your team. I was expecting a lot of growing pains. However, she gets the most out of her players. They get better every day, game, and season. They hardly regress, other than injuries.

I'm just glad some are finally seeing how this program has stabilized itself as a MAC contender every season. Especially where this program was when Kest took over the program. Hope to see more of you on December 5th against Morehead State, another top 50 RPI team in women's basketball.

So far this is how our schedule looks like on RPI:

Binghamton (301)

N. Kentucky (289)

N. Iowa (87)

Valsparaiso (106)

Belmont (175)

Siena (76)

Upcoming teams:

Morehead St. (56)

Bethune-Cookman (263)

UCF (117)

YSU (69)

WMU (66)

Go Zips! :gun:

Mes, if the Zips keep it up I'm going to start "Lady Zips" threads for each game. It's time we start generating some excitement about this team. Old Folk, y'all need to get out to the games! Go Zips!

• Like 1

I gotta say I've thoroughly enjoyed the women's basketball games the past few years. No, they don't have the athletic ability the men do, but they play more within their abilities (which are significant) and have many fewer "knucklehead" plays trying to make a play or shot they've only made in their dreams. It's a different game played below the rim, but still entertaining. It's also great to see players make their free throws. The men could learn a bit from them on that. I also see players shooting and making mid-range jumpers, something missing greatly from most men's (all NCAA) games. Those shots count too. I wish more people would come to the games and see what they are missing. The marketing department could work a little harder to promote them too. I saw very little effort last year for what we pretty much knew was going to be their best team ever.

• Like 1

... It's also great to see players make their free throws. The men could learn a bit from them on that. ...

Maybe they already have. The lady Zips are currently shooting 74.1% from the free throw line and the men are shooting 73.1%. Take away Tree's 2-6 performance from the only game he played (and assuming he's not coming back), the remaining men's players are averaging 75.5% from the free throw line -- a little better than the women. Terrible free throw shooting by the men's team is last year's news. :)

What draws me to the women's basketball game is the authenticity of the game. The men's game can have the fundamentals of the game overshadowed by athleticism. Women's game has athleticism too(just look at Anita Brown's reverse layup-and-1), but they use that to improve their fundamentals. The men's game seems to use the athleticism to hide their lack of fundamentals. Call me an old soul, but the men's game just isn't pure basketball to me anymore.

• Like 4

Also, here's a few stats that will have your jaw drop a bit with what we know about the graduation losses the Zips WBB had this offseason.

From their twitter account:

- Anita Brown ranks 15th in the nation in scoring average(22.3 PPG). Sina King ranks 18th(21.7 PPG)

- 14th in the nation in scoring(84.5 PPG)

- 13th in the nation in assist/turnover ratio(1.41)

- 17th in scoring margin(+23.2)

- 21st in defensive rebounding(32.0)

See you at the JAR on Friday!!!!!!

In case anyone wants to see a couple of Akron's opponents, Morehead State plays @ Ohio this morning, with tip approximately 11:00am. I don't know if there will be video stream, but thought it would be good to watch if there is since Ohio has looked really good so far at 5-0(not surprising to me with the coach they have...he's really good), and Morehead State being our opponent on Friday.