Womens basketball

zippyball

Maybe they already have. The lady Zips are currently shooting 74.1% from the free throw line and the men are shooting 73.1%. Take away Tree's 2-6 performance from the only game he played (and assuming he's not coming back), the remaining men's players are averaging 75.5% from the free throw line -- a little better than the women. Terrible free throw shooting by the men's team is last year's news. :)

Maybe not. They are trending downward. 51 for 78 (65.3%) in the three game homestand (without Tree). Back to the charity stripe for more practice. :)

Game Day today. Should be a win tonight for the Lady Zips, but they may have growing pains tonight. I expect them to have more trouble at Bethune-Cookman and UCF because those are their first true road games. If they are 10-0 going into the YSU road game, that could be an upset special since both teams are playing well right now and a little bit of backyard rivalry.

Sometime tomorrow I will post a recap of how each team in the MAC is doing so far. Some interesting wins over big conference schools. Still looking for that big signature win from a MAC school still. Hopefully it happens this season.

It's been incredible on what they have done to this point after graduating Tecca, Luburgh, Young, Cassell, and Guyton. You add in the fact that they play 4 freshmen with significant playing time, with one of those freshmen as your starting point guard. The fact that they haven't skipped a beat is really remarkable. I even think this team is better than last year's team when it comes to playing solid defense. They still have one more hurdle for me to completely buy into a "special" season. They have to win in Florida. They have their first true road games this season, @ Bethune Cookman and @ UCF. I expect them to win, but struggle against B-C. I expect the real test to come against UCF. They have 9 days off until that Bethune-Cookman game. Study hard, finish the semester strong, and get better in practice ladies!!!!

• Like 2

It's been incredible on what they have done to this point after graduating Tecca, Luburgh, Young, Cassell, and Guyton. You add in the fact that they play 4 freshmen with significant playing time, with one of those freshmen as your starting point guard. The fact that they haven't skipped a beat is really remarkable. I even think this team is better than last year's team when it comes to playing solid defense. They still have one more hurdle for me to completely buy into a "special" season. They have to win in Florida. They have their first true road games this season, @ Bethune Cookman and @ UCF. I expect them to win, but struggle against B-C. I expect the real test to come against UCF. They have 9 days off until that Bethune-Cookman game. Study hard, finish the semester strong, and get better in practice ladies!!!!

This is Caleb Porter level dominance. Never truly a rebuilding year even when there is a lot of turn over on the team...amazing! The accomplishment is especially incredible given how terrible the program was when Coach Kest took over. Unlike men's soccer, there wasn't tradition or a recent history of success to build on. I hope she stays at Akron for a very long time!

• Like 1