vs Can't State

at Eastern Michigan

vs Toledo

vs Miami

at Buffalo

vs Ohio

at Miami

at Can't State

I'm predicting 25-6 going into the MAC Tournament. The blue games I have as wins, the red as losses.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you're a lot braver than I am in predicting this season's results. :D That's a good, optimistic starting point for a discussion about a Zips team that may start the season with an untested true freshman PG running the show. I'd be ecstatic with that kind of regular season record. But I foresee more early season losses. The 3rd, 4th and 5th games are going to be awfully challenging, and I think a Zips sweep is unlikely. It's also unlikely that the Zips will go a whole season beating every team they're supposed to beat. There's likely to be an upset or two along the way. I think that 22 regular season wins would be pretty good under the circumstances, though I'd gladly welcome a few more.

I think the early season game everyone should be on the look out for to gauge the potential of the Zips is if the fates bring UNCC and Akron together in Charleston. The 49ers typically are a solid, but rarely great, mid major basketball team from a decent conference. They also play some pretty decent names OOC. They went 17-14 last year but were pretty young, but have 4 starters returning this season. This game would be a good gauge for the Zips.

This discussion is over

Tough crowd. But seriously...

vs UMBC

vs USC

vs Drexel or Miami

vs Penn State, Charlotte, Cornell, or South Carolina (assuming not Penn State)

at Penn State

vs Bryant

vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff

vs Western Illinois

vs Middle Tennessee State

at North Dakota State

vs Bluffton

vs Marshall

vs Coppin State

vs Western Michigan

at Toledo

vs Bowling Green

vs Central Michigan

at Northern Illinois

at Western Michigan

vs Ball State

at Bowling Green

at Ohio

vs Buffalo

vs Can't State

at Eastern Michigan

vs Toledo

vs Miami

at Buffalo

vs Ohio

at Miami

at Can't State

24-7.

Tough crowd. But seriously...

vs UMBC

vs USC

vs Drexel or Miami

vs Penn State, Charlotte, Cornell, or South Carolina (assuming not Penn State)

at Penn State

vs Bryant

vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff

vs Western Illinois

vs Middle Tennessee State

at North Dakota State

vs Bluffton

vs Marshall

vs Coppin State

vs Western Michigan

at Toledo

vs Bowling Green

vs Central Michigan

at Northern Illinois

at Western Michigan

vs Ball State

at Bowling Green

at Ohio

vs Buffalo

vs Can't State

at Eastern Michigan

vs Toledo

vs Miami

at Buffalo

vs Ohio

at Miami

at Can't State

24-7.

LOL, I meant that your 31-0 prediction was the final word. :P

27-4 looks attainable. As to Dave's concerns about inexperience at point guard and too many players without much game experience-did anyone watch our point guard play last season?-we had several games with our scoring ranging from 1-6 pts having watched the 2 freshmen they will be a tremendous upgrade. We have plenty of other crunch time experience(Kretzer, McAdams, Deji and Tree. Also Forsythe and Big Dog will be improved. Take a look at what most of the other MAC contenders lost from last season-only Toledo, Northern Ill, EMU and BeeGee have much experience. To me, we should have a much better and deeper team this year- our only real loss was Quincy, Even U.S.C is a winnable game- as for the other 3 potential losses, I figure a bad road game or 2 and a possible loss to either MTSU or Marshall.

... having watched the 2 freshmen they will be a tremendous upgrade. ...

If you actually watched them practice, you must be an expert. :lol: I agree with your opinion. They will be better in the long run. The main thing that concerns me is the learning curve. They will be thrown into the fire early and will make their share of true freshman mistakes. With a role player, that affects a part of the game. With a PG, it affects a lot of the game. As good as they look in practice, their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th D1 college games will be on the road against tough competition.

There's no way this Zips team loses only 4 games over the entire season. Way too much youth.

I agree with '55 that PG is the easy barometer for the 2014-15 team. Losing Diggs and Harney probably dropped Dambrot's blood pressure 50 points. Now he can coach kids who'll listen. That's a big plus. Harkens back to the Dials/Joyce era.

I have never seen either of the Freshman play yet, and i know they'll be an improvement over what we had in 2013-14. I'm sure Betancourt will be a tiny bit better too, but he is what he is...a bundle of reckless energy.

Assuming no major injuries, I will go with 23 regular season wins. I think this team will get better as the season progresses, get worse when the Freshman hit the wall in February, then finish strong down the stretch.

I'm surprised so many are picking an NDSU loss and a Middle Tennessee win. I am inclined to think the opposite on those. I also think that a win over USC is attainable. I do fear, though, that with so much youth there will be a few "off" nights against teams we should beat, particularly in MAC play.

I'm surprised so many are picking an NDSU loss and a Middle Tennessee win. I am inclined to think the opposite on those. ...

While NDSU won the Summit League championship last season, this season a poll of coaches, SIDs and media has projected the Bison to finish 5th in their conference. They graduated star players Taylor Braun and Marshall Bjorklund, their 2 leading scorers, as well as the team's 3rd leading scorer and 3 subs who played in every game. So they obviously lost a lot of talent and are in major rebuilding mode.

MTSU last season tied Louisiana Tech for best record in Conference USA. But they graduated their top 4 leading scorers (Shawn Jones, Neiko Hunter, Kerry Hammonds and Trantell Knight), and the leading returning scorer averaged only 6.5 points per game. So they're also obviously in serious rebuilding mode.

Both MTSU and NDSU are strong programs, but both have more question marks than the Zips this season due to so many key players graduating. The Zips should be favored in both games.