Game #9 Bowling Green

Balsy

Here is an older Toledo Blade article on BGSU's 16 day break.

In discussing the WMU game, the Bronco pass rush, although not recording any sacks, was key to stopping Knapke (who I believe has proven my suspicion about Matt Johnson being a "system" QB) and the Falcon offense. It's time for the Zip pass rush to get its mojo back - let 'em loose, Coach Amato.

After missing two games with a head injury, Kyle Pohl will return as the Akron Zips starting quarterback for their MAC showdown with Bowling Green on Tuesday.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Never understood the hubbub.

I would suggest some extra blind side help on Tuesday.

Glad to get some clarity on the issue and that Kyle is good to go. Just seemed really odd that he was dressed if not ready to go.

Have to like our chances. BG is not as good this season. I expect the team to be pumped up with the black out, being on ESPN, and with Kyle back.

Go Zips!

Glad to get some clarity on the issue and that Kyle is good to go. Just seemed really odd that he was dressed if not ready to go.

A couple of people have mentioned to me it didn't appear that Pohl was really dressed for the game. He didn't have a helmet, wasn't wearing his knee brace and didn't appear to be taped. He looked like a guy who ready to carry a clipboard on the sidelines.

A couple of people have mentioned to me it didn't appear that Pohl was really dressed for the game. He didn't have a helmet, wasn't wearing his knee brace and didn't appear to be taped. He looked like a guy who ready to carry a clipboard on the sidelines.

Thanks for this clarification. I didnt get to see any of the game last week, just listened to the first half on TuneIn radio. If so, the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

Then it certainly wouldn't have been fair for Bowden to put him in.

• Like 1

Complete with Maji delivering gifts of turnovers, bad play calling and poor personnel utilization to BG? If anyone sees those Maji walking around campus next Tuesday, tell them they made a wrong turn and point them towards Can't.

Actually I was thinking more of this: the team is coming out of the locker room,the band is playing 'Akron Blue and Gold' THEN...an image of Leslie Nielson appears over Infocision and urges, 'now go out and win just ONE for the Zippers'.......

Except that it isn't an issue of "fairness", it's a matter of safety/precaution. ...

It's pretty common conversational English to say that it's not fair to put someone in a bad position, which would include such things as ignoring safety/precaution when it's warranted. Anyway, that's the way I interpret what Coach Bowden meant when he said that. He's the only one who knows exactly the point he was trying to make and we're all left to guess, which always results in varying interpretations.

• Like 1

I'm finding myself increasingly less interested in this game than I was even a week ago. Am I the only one?

No, you're not the only one. Check out Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba. It's a ghost town. These Tuesday games are a complete farce no matter what kind of party line talking points MAC coaches repeat when asked about them.

I'm finding myself increasingly less interested in this game than I was even a week ago. Am I the only one?

I guess I would be too if I could no longer attempt to sell my conspiracy theory to Zipsnation.

I'm pretty pumped and might even question your fandom if you aren't excited for the most important game thus far in the season. One against the reigning MAC champion at home, on national television, with our starting QB back who is 8-3 in his last 11 games, where a W would put us in the driver's seat to play in the MAC Championship.

I guess I would be too if I could no longer attempt to sell my conspiracy theory to Zipsnation.

I'm pretty pumped and might even question your fandom if you aren't excited for the most important game thus far in the season. One against the reigning MAC champion at home, on national television, with our starting QB back who is 8-3 in his last 11 games, where a W would put us in the driver's seat to play in the MAC Championship.

+1. I'm excited about the option of going to the game and watching at home. In fact, I'm resting myself today because I'm a little sick, in hopes I can get better to be at the game on Tuesday in person.

GP1, I've not been tortured as long as you have by the Zips, but I absolutely can't wait for this game. This is the most excited I've been about a Zips football game ever.

I'm excited about it since it looks like Pohl will play (if I'm decoding the coachspeak correctly), giving us a better chance to win. I hope Woodson plays some too, to get back on the horse and show that he is progressing, without the whole weight of the game on his back. Beating the Zoomba's is always good in and of itself, regardless of the conference race. Still need to run the ball and get 1st downs to set up some big plays. Reducing turnovers is a plus but not the determining factor.

AKRON, Ohio - University of Akron students are being lured to Tuesday night's nationally televised football game by the chance to win free tuition for spring semester – a prize worth $4,309.08.

And just in case the students don't get the message – the university has sent emails about the offer to parents.

Three tuition prizes will be awarded to randomly chosen students at the game. Another student, who has used #ZipsBlackout on social media the most by noon Tuesday, will also receive free tuition.

Officials hope the innovative promotion fills InfoCision Stadium –Summa Field as the Akron Zips play Bowling Green State University.

The university opened a football stadium on campus in 2009 with the hope of drawing more students, especially as it expanded on-campus housing.

Students attend games for free. But the average attendance for the four home games this year has been 9,775 in the 27,000-seat stadium, according to the football website.

It is not known how many students attend, said Cathy Bongiovi, assistant athletic director for communications.

The university wants a big crowd because the game against the defending MAC champion will be televised on ESPN2.

The university has dubbed the game #ZipsBlackout, with the home team wearing all black uniforms and gold chrome helmets.

Fans are encouraged to wear black. The first 5,000 who enter the stadium will receive a free long-sleeve black shirt. Gold paper helmets also will be distributed to students.

"We want to reward the student body for its support and hopefully bring more people to the game," Bongiovi said about the tuition prizes.

She said Athletic Director Tom Wistrcill proposed the promotion, which needed approval from the administration and the legal department, which approved the rules.

Students will scan their Zip Card to enter the game. The names of two students will be announced during each of three media timeouts in each of the first three quarter - for a total of 18 names. If a student does not check in within 10 minutes another name will be drawn.

The students whose names are drawn will sit together until the last drawing at the end of the third quarter. Their student ID cards will be placed in a helmet and Zippy the mascot will draw three.

The tuition is the amount for an in-state student and winners will have to pay $650 in student fees for the semester.

Students must enter the stadium before kickoff and student-athletes are not eligible to win.

Student promotions have been held during games but nothing at the level of free tuition, Bongiovi said.

"It will hopefully help," she said. "We have very loyal students but this year it is hard to get them motivated to come to games."

A tuition giveaway tied to a football game may be the first by a university.

The University of Iowa in July suspended a promotion to raffle off free tuition to five students who bought $175 season tickets to Hawkeye football games.

Questions were raised about its legality and if it would be compliant with state raffle laws.

The tuition prize was worth about $8,000.

It will not cost UA students anything to enter the tuition contest other than three hours of their time.

I'm excited for this game. The Zips are 4-2 with Pohl starting. I believe they would have won at least one (if not both) of the MAC games they lost had Pohl started.

A win puts the Zips in the driver's seat for the MAC East - a win Tuesday followed by wins over Buffalo, UMass, and Can't State (all very winnable games) puts us in Detroit on December 5th.

• Like 1