Game #9 Bowling Green

Balsy

"It is not known how many students attend games" is a straight lie.

It says right in the same story that "Students will scan their Zip Card to enter the game" which I believe they do at every game. That should send exact student game attendance straight into the central computer. It's hard to believe an assistant athletic director wouldn't be aware of this. I was under the impression that announced attendance for Zips home games was based on the number of tickets sold (including season tickets) plus the number of students who actually had their Zip Cards scanned.

• Like 1

It says right in the same story that "Students will scan their Zip Card to enter the game" which I believe they do at every game. That should send exact student game attendance straight into the central computer. It's hard to believe an assistant athletic director wouldn't be aware of this. I was under the impression that announced attendance for Zips home games was based on the number of tickets sold (including season tickets) plus the number of students who actually had their Zip Cards scanned.

They know how many students are at every game. The most this year was around 2500 for the Howard game.

Those of you who are students: Has there been a lot of buzz around campus about the tuition sweepstakes?

I hope there is some excitement on campus and students show up Tuesday. I remember the Tuesday game in 2010 vs. Miami. I was sitting in the front row upper deck and kept hearing someone blowing leaves. This went on intermittently during the game and was really bugging the shit out of me.

Eventually, I looked up to discover I was hearing the fans of the Goodyear blimp that was hovering over the stadium. You should never be able to hear the blimp over the ambient noise at any sporting event. I hope I don't hear it Tuesday.

I'm pretty pumped and might even question your fandom if you aren't excited for the most important game thus far in the season.

How about.....most important game in about 5 years?

Chance to be in first place in November?

A victory is even more important when you consider that we close with Buffalo, UMass and Ken+. The schedule sets up perfectly after this one. All very winnable, and we would control our own destiny. A trip to Detroit is all within our control.

Now, I understand that the common college football fan in the area might not give a damn about the MAC. But for the diehard Zips fans, this is huge. Although, I will admit that this kind of game was made for a Saturday. But, get those students in there for the scholarship giveaways, and this could be an electric night.

How about.....most important game in about 5 years?

Chance to be in first place in November?

A victory is even more important when you consider that we close with Buffalo, UMass and Ken+. The schedule sets up perfectly after this one. All very winnable, and we would control our own destiny. A trip to Detroit is all within our control.

Now, I understand that the common college football fan in the area might not give a damn about the MAC. But for the diehard Zips fans, this is huge. Although, I will admit that this kind of game was made for a Saturday. But, get those students in there for the scholarship giveaways, and this could be an electric night.

Hard to believe that we are still in control of our own destiny after those last two games. But it's right there, lets go take it!

AKRON, Ohio - University of Akron students are being lured to Tuesday night's nationally televised football game by the chance to win free tuition for spring semester – a prize worth $4,309.08.

I have to admit, I think this is a great idea. I don't know if it will drive student attendance or not, but it is a good try. Certainly more valuable than a stupid bobble head doll.

There is no real cost to it, just like giving away a bobble head. Typically, bobble heads are sponsored by a company and it doesn't cost UofA anything to have them produced. Free tuition isn't something that will cost the University any real money either. The cost of having a class will not increase because they were going to have the class anyhow. There will be just one person who doesn't have to pay to go to the class. It is a transfer from the Athletic Department to another department.

Thanks for the heads up, Dr Z :wave: I should have considered the hourly forecast and how late that game begins. Oh well, my black rain gear might have to be the old standby:

51yCjWGjIBL._AA160_.jpg

I’m in agreement with you on the Corso comment. I know Knapke hurt his ribs recently, but he’s listed as probable for the game on a few sites.

I have my blackout uniform ready. Head to toe, baby!

I won't be getting there until 5. I had to make a tough decision about spending vacation on this game. I figured I either had to bite the bullet and take 2 days or take none and save the vaycay for the MACCG.

Taking one day didn't really make any sense to me. If I took Tuesday off, I could tailgate all afternoon but set myself up for a rough Wednesday morning when the alarm clock went off at 6. If I took Wednesday off, I could sleep in, but miss most of the tailgate. What a conundrum.

So come on, Zips! Win out and I will make up for lost time in Detroit! :rock:

From all the pessimism dealing with my friends here on ZN.O. I don't like 8:00pm Tuesday night games, I do love televised Tuesday night games on ESPN, but I will be there rain or shine. :gun:

I do have to be up early in the morning to work, but it doesn't matter. I love the Zips, I will be there to cheer them on, and I won't for a moment regret losing a little sleep when I watch the Zips :chair::nutkick: Bowling green.

Go Zips! :gun:

I’m in agreement with you on the Corso comment. I know Knapke hurt his ribs recently, but he’s listed as probable for the game on a few sites.

It is a very odd number (-5.5) and either someone knows something or the odds makers are truly playing the low risk 50/50 game and banking the vig for an early start on the weekend. I really don't see this as being a close game, but then again there is that guy who sets the line and gets paid to know more than I do.

I have to admit, I think this is a great idea. I don't know if it will drive student attendance or not, but it is a good try.

Just like the recent "free ticket" discussion, I guess we can turn this into a business-related discussion also.

Here's my thoughts...

Yes, it will bring more students to the game, for sure. But, does that generate more money? No. Those are free admissions anyway. Will it at least save us from embarrassment on national TV? Yes. We wouldn't even reach 10k on a Tuesday night. The threat of rain makes those chances even worse. I'm glad they are doing it.

However, it will cost the University to do this. Sure, those classes are already on the books, and it doesn't cost anymore to run the class. BUT....the contestants will be current students, meaning that they would be paying for those classes if not for the free scholarship money. So, it is lost revenue, even if it's not technically "costing" them money.

Maybe this convinces a few more students that an Akron football game is a worthwhile activity. Other than that, the long term benefits of such a promotion are really nonexistent. As we discussed in the former thread related to free ticket giveaways, most of those students will not come again until the next 'free tuition' giveaway.