That's a shame too, because he probably could have caught 5 or 6 passes a season here.

You are correct, but if we continue to run this "offense", I think we need multiple guys with his ability. He was recruited for the 'Y' position, a tight end/wide receiver hybrid.

• 2 months later...

Here is the best list I can muster as of today. Please remember that everything is subject to change up until signing day.

RB Donnell Alexander
QB Tra'Von Chapman
DL Rodney Coe
DB Larry Hope
DL Jamal Marcus
DB AJ Coney

Mitchell Hlay

Bryce Jones

Vernon Walker

Travonte Junius

Brock Boxen

Darryl Monroe

Kvon Wilson

Mike Means

Chris Bivins

Tyler Shipman

Jayson Williams

Jan Johnson

Jaquavis Dixon

Joe Tupta

• Like 1

Here is the best list I can muster as of today. Please remember that everything is subject to change up until signing day.

RB Donnell Alexander
QB Tra'Von Chapman
DL Rodney Coe
DB Larry Hope
DL Jamal Marcus
DB AJ Coney

Mitchell Hlay

Bryce Jones

Vernon Walker

Travonte Junius

Brock Boxen

Darryl Monroe

Kvon Wilson

Mike Means

Chris Bivins

Tyler Shipman

Jayson Williams

Jan Johnson

Jaquavis Dixon

Joe Tupta

Nice work, CK!

I sure hope TE Josh McNeil signs. I think the Zips could use some help working the middle of the field in 2015.

I'm also wondering if Bryce Jones from BC has graduated or not (would affect his eligibility in 2015, of course).

I think the Zips could use some help working the middle of the field in 2015.

The question is, will they? Zach has been running through the middle for two years now. He mentioned to me once that most of the time he is running a route to clear out. IMO 2015 should feature Zach catching the ball, not clearing out. He needs to spend less time at the H F and Y, and more time at the Z. I think this would take more advantage of his skill set. Think of it this way, we use Zach too much like Wes Welker (less versatile/inside guy), we need to use him more like a Julian Edelman or an Antonio Brown (outside guys able to work both). In my offense last season, Zach would have averaged 11 targets a week. A third of the time, he would be my quarterbacks first read. I'm considering a dedicated thread to this topic (wr positions) after the spring game.

The question is, will they? Zach has been running through the middle for two years now. He mentioned to me once that most of the time he is running a route to clear out. IMO 2015 should feature Zach catching the ball, not clearing out. He needs to spend less time at the H F and Y, and more time at the Z. I think this would take more advantage of his skill set. Think of it this way, we use Zach too much like Wes Welker (less versatile/inside guy), we need to use him more like a Julian Edelman or an Antonio Brown (outside guys able to work both). In my offense last season, Zach would have averaged 11 targets a week. A third of the time, he would be my quarterbacks first read. I'm considering a dedicated thread to this topic (wr positions) after the spring game.

I would have been throwing to him more as well, but he did comfortably lead the team with 62 receptions last year for a team high 658 yards. He was certainly the "go to" guy, but the better defenses were more successful at taking him away.

After hearing a few days ago of his intentions, I was pretty concerned who might fill his role. Nobody currently on the roster seems like a good fit. That's why I'm hopeful McNeil will commit.

Getting back to your original point, it's hard for me to project any tendencies with the Zip 2015 offense until I know who is pulling the trigger,

.... I haven't heard or seen anything since (October)

Welcome to the world of following Zips recruiting.

I do my best to stay on top of things. If I post something, I researched it personally. If a commit was listed on a web site with an Akron reference, I will always include it. But sometimes I can obtain information faster than the local or Internet media. They can use me as their source.

RB Donnell Alexander
QB Tra'Von Chapman
DL Rodney Coe
DB Larry Hope
DL Jamal Marcus
DB AJ Coney

Mitchell Hlay

Josh McNeil

Bryce Jones

Vernon Walker

Travonte Junius

Brock Boxen

Darryl Monroe

Kvon Wilson

Mike Means

Chris Bivins

Tyler Shipman

Jayson Williams

Jan Johnson

Jaquavis Dixon

Joe Tupta

Rivals has Vernon Walker as a solid commit to MTSU as of 1/18.

Rivals has Vernon Walker as a solid commit to MTSU as of 1/18.

I was told he was a Zips commit after that date.

Keep in mind the following:

1.) I'm only as good as my source. And I wouldn't put my name next to something if my source wasn't solid. I promise I follow Akron recruiting better than Ralf Schmidlap at Rivals.

2.) Many kids flip over the next couple weeks. If Walker ended up at MTSU no one should be shocked.

I recall seeing one of Brookhart's Signing Day film presentations where he blew past a slide of Eugene Jarvis. Jarvis backed out of his UA commitment on Signing Day and signed with K.e.n.t.

Tried to seperate out where they're all coming from (HS, transfer, greyshirt/greenshirt/blueshirt), just to help wrap my head around it. I could be way off with the status of some of them. Feel free to correct me.

Transfers - Eligible in 2015:

RB Donnell Alexander - Colorado State

QB Tra'Von Chapman - Pitt/Ashland
DL Rodney Coe - Iowa State
DB Larry Hope - Miami (Fla)
DL Jamal Marcus - Ohio State
DB AJ Coney - Weber State
LB Darryl Monroe - Washington State
Transfers - sitting out 2015:
CB Bryce Jones - Boston College
HS Recruits:

Mitchell Hlay