Tree Treadwell Thread

zippy5

This tourney will tell us a lot of what to expect from the Treeless team. I'm no expert, but it looked like we have a lot of talented newcomers in the opening win. With the loss of the main cog, I think we will see added effort to take that place. We may see a different player emerge on either end of the court. That may evolve over the next month or more, but I think we will find over the next few games that all is NOT lost for this season. Keep the faith.

• Like 1

This tourney will tell us a lot of what to expect from the Treeless team. I'm no expert, but it looked like we have a lot of talented newcomers in the opening win. With the loss of the main cog, I think we will see added effort to take that place. We may see a different player emerge on either end of the court. That may evolve over the next month or more, but I think we will find over the next few games that all is NOT lost for this season. Keep the faith.

I agree with this statement. The Zips (IMO) have been over reliant on Tree. We've got some athletes, it's time to give them a chance.

The publicly available University of Akron Police Dept. incident report was updated to include the status "Prosecution Declined" with no further explanation or details. My non-professional interpretation would be that whatever offense may have taken place apparently did not rise to the prosecutable level, and that any action taken would exclusively come from the Department of Student Conduct and Community Standards regarding any violation of the student code of conduct that may have taken place.

Reading Tree's twitter, it's sad to see him enthusiastically following the Zips' tournament performance while posting "Living with no purpose."

The publicly available University of Akron Police Dept. incident report was updated to include the status "Prosecution Declined" with no further explanation or details. My non-professional interpretation would be that whatever offense may have taken place apparently did not rise to the prosecutable level, and that any action taken would exclusively come from the Department of Student Conduct and Community Standards regarding any violation of the student code of conduct that may have taken place.

Reading Tree's twitter, it's sad to see him enthusiastically following the Zips' tournament performance while posting "Living with no purpose."

If they DP'd the case he should be in uniform tonight. Any punishment should be the same as for any student, not suspension from the BB team. That is excessive, unless an ordinary student would be expelled, in which case he should be too.

Oh by the way, some of you owe me an apology. I stated previously that a Police Report means NOTHING, and got blasted for it.

Nobody disagreed with you about that.

Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that maybe charges didn't want to be pressed by the victim?

I do not know if this was a "domestic". Some of the folks here seem to think not, but that is very common in domestic situations. And there were probably no real injuries.

And we would have won tonight with Tree. Sucks

I do not know if this was a "domestic". Some of the folks here seem to think not, but that is very common in domestic situations. And there were probably no real injuries.

And we would have won tonight with Tree. Sucks

Ohio is pretty strict with regard to incidents of domestic violence and does not require a victim of domestic violence to press charges. "Prosecution Declined" simply means that the prosecutor chose not to pursue the case.

Additionally, a Division I basketball scholarship is not a fundamental right or liberty, it is a privilege. Just because he was not charged with a crime does not necessarily mean he should now be putting on an Akron basketball jersey. If the alleged facts are indeed true, I would honestly rather he didn't. However, without knowing all of the facts, all anyone can do is wish the best for all parties involved and move on.

Depends on your definition of wrongdoing.

If he got into a fight with his girlfriend and someone else called the Police, who found no evidence of criminality, that should be their business and no one else's.

Not true at all. If an altercation is bad enough that warrants someone else calling the police, than it is not just their business. But way too many assumptions are being made here on this subject. We need to trust that the adults involved with the program are doing what they judge to be best.

Sorry, but if you don't want to get suspended from your team keep your nose clean and don't get in ANY confrontation.

I'll just speculate that if Tree should return to the team this season, the best news is that it would mean he was not guilty of an offense as serious as some have imagined. Tree would need to understand that he would be coming back to a team that has compensated for his absence by relying less on one star and more on many players taking on added responsibilities. The tricky part would be working Tree back into the rotation in a way that takes more advantage of what other players have shown they can contribute and not simply going back to the old way of relying on Tree to carry the team on his big shoulders. It's no longer Tree's team. But it's a good team that could use Tree's contributions to become an even better team.

• Like 2

It is amazing how much better Pat is playing with Tree out of the lineup. Tree gets triple teamed down low and the ball movement either stops, turnover, or it gets sent back outside without taking advantage of the triple team. When Pat gets the ball there is no triple team and he has been able to score down low. We definitely miss Trees rebounding and toughness on defense. We need to do a better job with Tree and Pat playing together.

• Like 1

I'll just speculate that if Tree should return to the team this season, the best news is that it would mean he was not guilty of an offense as serious as some have imagined. Tree would need to understand that he would be coming back to a team that has compensated for his absence by relying less on one star and more on many players taking on added responsibilities. The tricky part would be working Tree back into the rotation in a way that takes more advantage of what other players have shown they can contribute and not simply going back to the old way of relying on Tree to carry the team on his big shoulders. It's no longer Tree's team. But it's a good team that could use Tree's contributions to become an even better team.

Dave, I think it's already been determined that, not only is he not guilty, but they have elected not to even charge him. Am I right? But I still think we are waiting to see if "student discipline" might still come into play here, and whether that applies a different standard?

As far as his return to the team, I think Keith's history of having few stars, and an unselfish style of play really makes it easy in terms of plugging in a new part. Why is this any different than someone being injured for a half season or so? Heck, Brett McKnight became the key to a championship run his senior year, after sitting out a significant number of games. It might really be Tree's team again, or it might not. I don't think that's something that someone can just determine. It all depends on how the remaining games transpire. But, I will definitely agree that his best attitude coming back would be to have an unselfish demeanor. And we already know that his teammates like him, and would be unlikely to shun him from getting his touches. At the very least, I think that he'd come back fresh enough to become the modern-era equivalent to Jerome Lane as a mid-sized front court rebounding machine. And that could, alone, elevate our level of play in a major way.

And lets not forget......It's been incredibly valuable to have several other guys who have increased their ability to contribute during his absence. Upon his return, this could potentially be a very good team because of that.

Pretty sure the players still play basketball with Tree outside of official practices.

As for him coming back and disrupting things, I doubt it. Yeah, the other frontcourt players minutes and stats go down, but they still retain the skill and confidence they picked up from increased playing time. Right now, Kwan is playing more minutes than he's really conditioned for and it will catch up to him sooner or later.

Pretty sure the players still play basketball with Tree outside of official practices.

As for him coming back and disrupting things, I doubt it. Yeah, the other frontcourt players minutes and stats go down, but they still retain the skill and confidence they picked up from increased playing time. Right now, Kwan is playing more minutes than he's really conditioned for and it will catch up to him sooner or later.

At this point in the season I doubt there is any playing going on outside of official practices. The players schedules are so tight there is very little free time available for pickup games. 2-3 hour practices almost everyday and games every 3-4 days takes its toll on the players bodies. When they get a day off, the last thing they are thinking about is basketball.

At this point in the season I doubt there is any playing going on outside of official practices. The players schedules are so tight there is very little free time available for pickup games. 2-3 hour practices almost everyday and games every 3-4 days takes its toll on the players bodies. When they get a day off, the last thing they are thinking about is basketball.

Believe what you want.