Ohio State game

Anyone know where I can find a list of the selection committee members?

This sort of info used to be publicly available on the NCAA's web site (if you knew where to look), but a few years ago they put it all behind an "authorized users" wall.

Anyone know where I can find a list of the selection committee members?

This sort of info used to be publicly available on the NCAA's web site (if you knew where to look), but a few years ago they put it all behind an "authorized users" wall.

I can't find that information either. But, I did find this from February 2014, following last year's tournament: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2014_MSOC_Annual_Meeting_Report_Final_0214_MS_kh.pdf

3. Review of 2013 Championship

a.

(1) Coaches’ and Site Representatives’ Evaluations. In review of the surveys From coaches and site representatives, the committee noted the need to emphasize with potential hosts the minimum facility requirements, particularly a secure barrier separating spectators from field. Hosts must be reminded that failure to adhere to such policies may disqualify them from hosting NCAA men’s soccer championship matches for a period of time.

b. Misconducts. The committee issued a public reprimand to the University of Akron for a student-athlete assaulting an official. The imposed penalties consisted of a suspension for the next two championship games and the loss of per diem and transportation. These penalties were in addition to the playing-rules penalty of a loss of the first three regular-season matches. The committee also issued a public reprimand to Akron for an assistant coach verbally assaulting the same official, and a lack of sportsmanship and control of staff stemming from the same incident. Additionally, the committee fined another institution for failure to follow policies and procedures.

I wonder if either of these were used against us. If item a. (1) is an issue, they need to inform our AD.

As far as item b, I, unfortunately, read that as Victor will be out of the first NCAA Tournament game next season.

• Like 1

The committee issued a public reprimand to the University of Akron for a student-athlete assaulting an official. ... The committee also issued a public reprimand to Akron for an assistant coach verbally assaulting the same official, and a lack of sportsmanship and control of staff stemming from the same incident.

Payback's a bitch.

During play Ivanov was better imo, but in early PKs he looked lost, kind of just fell over to his left 3-4 times. After about round 7-8 and his players coming to him to be the damn man and fully commit he was better (we can only assume they were trying to get him on track, make it happen). I do not remember Zips going up to stoke Jake after they shot even once. Overall communication has been raised many times on this forum, and in critical times like this it can matter.

Then even if you do make the right call on which side and height to commit to there is the matter of stopping balls that hit your hands and arms. Here Ivanov was better as Jake got to a few more but they got thru. Ivanov stopped the ones he got to, even if fewer. You could look at it like errors in baseball but with keepers it is physics, usually the 6-2 190 (looks more like 200) prototype beats the 6-0 160 player. Not always, but usually. Going in I felt shooting advantage naturally Akron, keeper probably OSU.

Ivanov and Jake 2 different styles of goalkeeper. Jake is more agile and a better overall shot stopper. Ivanov is a more powerful goalkeeper that lacks a whole lot of technique but makes up for it in hustle and enthusiasm. That being said you could tell how different they were during the shootout. Here is what I gathered from the shootout, and mind you I was mainly focused in on the shot of the player and the goalkeepers approach.

Ivanov- Like switch-it said he looked lost. However I would say it was the whole shootout. To me he seemed nonathletic, just falling over attempt after attempt. He seemed reactionary on every shot. Meaning if we shot the ball on the ground with decent pace it would have found the back of the net. Think back to the 3 saves that he made. Stewart hit the ball down the middle didnt have to move, Sean telegraphed where he was going with his and he lacked pace making for an easy save, and finally I believe it was Robbie that hit the ball with little pace shoulder height a foot or 2 away from Ivanov.

Jake- Looked as if he was second guessing himself. Both his saves were balls that appeared to be destined for the corner. Got his hands on a couple more but could not keep them out. He needed to have stronger hands in the situation. He dove right i would say 9/14 times getting his hands on 4 of those shots is still a pretty good ratio if you ask me.

Also IMO I do not think size matters too much between these 2 keepers.

Ivanov and Jake 2 different styles of goalkeeper. Jake is more agile and a better overall shot stopper. Ivanov is a more powerful goalkeeper that lacks a whole lot of technique but makes up for it in hustle and enthusiasm. That being said you could tell how different they were during the shootout. Here is what I gathered from the shootout, and mind you I was mainly focused in on the shot of the player and the goalkeepers approach.

Ivanov- Like switch-it said he looked lost. However I would say it was the whole shootout. To me he seemed nonathletic, just falling over attempt after attempt. He seemed reactionary on every shot. Meaning if we shot the ball on the ground with decent pace it would have found the back of the net. Think back to the 3 saves that he made. Stewart hit the ball down the middle didnt have to move, Sean telegraphed where he was going with his and he lacked pace making for an easy save, and finally I believe it was Robbie that hit the ball with little pace shoulder height a foot or 2 away from Ivanov.

Jake- Looked as if he was second guessing himself. Both his saves were balls that appeared to be destined for the corner. Got his hands on a couple more but could not keep them out. He needed to have stronger hands in the situation. He dove right i would say 9/14 times getting his hands on 4 of those shots is still a pretty good ratio if you ask me.

Also IMO I do not think size matters too much between these 2 keepers.

They did a compilation of the PKS. Here is the link and summary at a glance. I thought Jake guessed correctly more too watching the game. In the end Ivanov lacks the cat quickness that Jake has but did guess better (8 to 6) and the 3rd round save which looked routine at the time was actually decent, body moving right but arms come up and correct left in a counter directional move. Put another way, if Ivanov were not tall/ strong/ long arms with his apparent relative lack of quickness he gets beaten every outing, but he does not. Speed kills at outside back and the wing, skill/smarts in the mid, and size in the back. You can try to get around those things but it's not easy.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/112114aaa.html

Ivanov Jake

1 Correct, dive, goal Incorrect, dive goal

2 Incorrect, fell over, goal Incorrect, goal

3 Starts move right, corrects left, save Correct, dive save

4 Stationary, goal Correct, hand on, goal

5 Fall over, goal Incorrect, goal

6 Stationary, goal Incorrect, goal

7 Incorrect shuttle, goal Correct, thru hands, goal

8 Correct, over hand, goal Incorrect, goal

9 Correct poor dive, goal Incorrect, goal

10 Correct, goal Incorrect, goal

11 Correct, goal Correct, goal

12 Correct save Correct save

13 Stationary, goal Incorrect, goal

14 Incorrect fell over, goal Incorrect fell over, goal

15 Correct, blocked away Correct, near, under arm

Ivanov 8 Correct or corrected move to ball 3 saves 1 error

Jake 6 Correct moves to ball 2 saves 3 errors

Wow. That depth of analysis should earn a gold star, Switchit. Much more than I want to know on PKs, but well done nonetheless.

I copied your (and OSU) analysis to BigSoccer, with appropriate attribution (of course)

The gold stars go to the guys that are statisticians and futbol fans who write the papers and do studies on the topic, as an excuse to spend yet more time on their favorite thing! This was one for the ages and it's unfortunate that Zips came up on wrong end. Another interesting take away is if we assume 80% make rate (probably in 70s but there is more on pros that collegiate I could find) the chance that jake would make 2 critical saves directly in response to Ivanov's was only 4% and speaks to his mental toughness, but at the same time the chance that he never put Ivanov under pressure in the 12 opportunities to do so was only 6.8%. Lastly if about 10% are off frame in good conditions, the chance that 30 shots were on frame is only 4.2%, another remarkable stat from that icy marathon.

Now we will wait to see what the inside scoop guys find out and post about new recruits and transfers for 15'. Offshore bounty? Need a couple but may only be a few from getting deeper next year shooting for a CC spot. Looking forward to next year.

Now we will wait to see what the inside scoop guys find out and post about new recruits and transfers for 15'. Offshore bounty? Need a couple but may only be a few from getting deeper next year shooting for a CC spot. Looking forward to next year.

Not much room on the roster for new additions unless we have several players transferring out.

This should be the most stable off-season roster in some time. I would really like to get Brennan from Copley.

Very talented Junior, multi sport athlete (baseball spring into summer?) that has killed local HS soccer in fall but did not test waters at Dev Academy. That should be the standard and I am not saying a HS multisport kid can't break thru, they do, but it will be rarer and rarer. Bevin like player? (but not from NZ ;)) He is fine too, but UA should find the best, no less.

Hard need at RB, guys are talking about Najem will he get HG, but what about Saad loss to graduation? You could almost take 2 OBs unless you like the heavy asymmetrical play. Souders was better than the rest at defending in that position but offered little forward threat or effective crosses (assists), and that in turn made Zips easier to defend.

As for Fs that 'promising' group needs to produce. Thought we would see many more goals from them but Sepe and maybe Holthusen were just above ok and rest poor shooting and no real sense for the frame. Gainford shot like mad and rarely found the mark. Has to be much better than that. Group tended to get narrow into final third too, but that's correctable.

2 OBs and a dangerous guy somewhere up top from some foreign land (2015s gone here) would be my ticket.

(Maybe this should be on another topic, sorry about that)

as a post mortem to the Ohio State match...Ohio State was respectable today against #1 team

buckeyes and #1 fighting irish were tied 1-1 at half time

Notre dame scored at 68 minute mark and held on for 2-1 win...Ivanov made 3 saves...ND goalie made 5 saves

Ohio State led 9-4 in corner kicks and 12-10 in shots

tough day for the big ten...as #5 seed Indiana lost to Xavier and #4 seed Maryland lost to Maryland baltimore county

ACC really dominating...with notre dame, syracuse, virginia, louisville all living up to their seeds and n. carolina upsetting #10 Charlotte

Clemson from the ACC....hosts Coastal Carolina tomorrow at 6