Zips vs USC Charleston Classic

GJGood

A final comment on the bad ref: When was the last time you saw a college ref issue three separate formal warnings to both benches and the fans for complaining about the officiating? Could it have had anything to do with the quality of his officiating?

An observation about USC: By minutes played, the top 5 Trojans were 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores and the top 8 were 4 freshmen and 4 sophomores. This is a really, really young team. Coach Enfield wants them to play at frenetic speed 100% of the time on both offense and defense. They were blurs on the floor. It looked like they'd never tried to play that fast before, and they made a lot of mistakes. As they grow more experienced playing at this frenetic pace and make fewer mistakes, they could become more VCU-like. It will be interesting to see how well the young players adapt to Enfield's style of play and how competitive they are by the end of the season.

On the Zips side, who'd have guessed that Pat would lead the team with Tree-like minutes (30), Tree-like points (15) and Tree-like rebounds (9)? Opportunity knocked and Pat answered. And Kwan is showing way more confidence knowing he's not going to be pulled after a bad shot. The only nervous time came when rock steady Noah went to the bench with 4 personals. Antino started out shaky and the lead started evaporating as USC ran off 8 straight. Antino didn't fold, but came to life with a trey, a steal, another trey and a driving layup to erase USC's 8-point run and crush the Trojans' hopes. Coach Dambrot was shaking his head about Antino's shot selection, but in the end gave him a big grin and a pat on the back. The Zips will be at their best with Noah averaging 30 minutes per game. But Antino should now have more confidence to back him up, and Nyles has also improved his game for added insurance.

Big Dog played only 10 minutes. But during one interesting run he was on the floor at the same time as Pat. As Big Dog gets back into playing shape and gets more minutes, how often will we see him and Pat on the floor together? Is Pat capable of playing quality minutes at the 4? Was that Pat who was holding the ball outside the free throw line, making a dribble drive to the basket and scoring at the rim? Pure Twilight Zone. And exactly who is this RooYahoo who just days ago eerily predicted Pat's rise?

• Like 1

A final comment on the bad ref: When was the last time you saw a college ref issue three separate formal warnings to both benches and the fans for complaining about the officiating? Could it have had anything to do with the quality of his officiating?

Or, it could have to do with both the quality of the official and the quality of fans attending games.

Maybe the NCAA is trying to get control over this behavior. Fans watch coaches and if their confrontation towards officials escalates (I didn't think any Zips coach looked over the top yesterday, but fans can't always hear what is said.), so does their abuse of officials. It's one thing to try to get control over students, but when they have to go out of their way to discipline someone in the stands who is old enough to have a grandchild, it says a lot more about the fan than the ref. I don't applaud the NCAA for very much, but if they are making an effort to get adults to start behaving like adults at a public event, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

Or, it could have to do with both the quality of the official and the quality of fans attending games.

Maybe the NCAA is trying to get control over this behavior. Fans watch coaches and if their confrontation towards officials escalates (I didn't think any Zips coach looked over the top yesterday, but fans can't always hear what is said.), so does their abuse of officials. It's one thing to try to get control over students, but when they have to go out of their way to discipline someone in the stands who is old enough to have a grandchild, it says a lot more about the fan than the ref. I don't applaud the NCAA for very much, but if they are making an effort to get adults to start behaving like adults at a public event, I'm all for it.

I don't know much about the situation that happened yesterday. But, most avid sports fans I know, even the older ones like me, tend to act out in ways that wouldn't be described as mature adults behavior when their team is playing. And the quality of officiating is certainly one of those situations that makes fans of any age act out.

As far as I am concerned, I think we need hundreds more Zips fans who are passionate and vocal at our games, rather than those who sit on their hands the entire game and "behave like adults". Even if they may go over the line a bit.

Amen. Not that this is restricted to Zip fans by any means. But man watching some 40+ year-olds act the way they do makes me cringe.

... Maybe the NCAA is trying to get control over this behavior. ...

Of course that's the extreme example when physical violence erupts with fans and players. No one wants that. The other extreme is when fans sit quietly in their seats and keep their mouths shut as if they were in a movie theater even when they see what they consider to be an injustice. No one should want that at a sporting event, either. Neither extreme defines the average sports fan. Fans vocally registering their displeasure at the refs is a time-honored tradition of sports. The few fans who cross the line should be reprimanded, but those who don't cross the line shouldn't be discouraged from expressing themselves.

I don't know much about the situation that happened yesterday. But, most avid sports fans I know, even the older ones like me, tend to act out in ways that wouldn't be described as mature adults behavior when their team is playing. And the quality of officiating is certainly one of those situations that makes fans of any age act out.

As far as I am concerned, I think we need hundreds more Zips fans who are passionate and vocal at our games, rather than those who sit on their hands the entire game and "behave like adults". Even if they may go over the line a bit.

Some bombastic a-holes cross the line regularly, and embarrassingly. There's is nothing worse than seeing some one in Akron gear become a complete embarrassment in the stands. To the point where a referee needs to address it.

It's embarrassing to players, parents, fans...basically anyone who's not said a-holes buddy.

The Zips played a close game with Miami today before getting blown out in the second half. Zips fans never went overboard against the refs because for the most part fans saw that reasonable calls were being made both ways without a lot of obviously questionable calls. Contrast that to yesterday when the Zips dominated the game, yet Zips fans were angry that the calls being made were not reasonable. The difference was not in whether the Zips were winning or losing. The difference was in the quality of officiating. Give Zips fans more credit for knowing the difference between good and bad officiating.

• Like 1

My final comment on the tournament officiating: Sunday's game against South Carolina was a rough, grind-it-out battle as expected. The game was close down to the final buzzer. There were lots of flying bodies and some big hits missed and some small touches called. There were some boos for the refs from Zips fans as well as South Carolina fans. But as with the Miami game, nothing over the top and nothing you wouldn't hear at any college basketball game. Officiating was only a major issue for Zips fans in the Southern California game, which the Zips dominated throughout and won by 20 points.