Kyle Pohl 2015

gozips19

Kyle Pohl 2015  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pohl has been in the system his entire career and has not progressed from day 1. You could make an argument he has regressed. This is nothing like what you are talking about. You play the best players. I dont care who you are or where you came from.

Pohl has gotten better since he came to Akron. Not the jump in ability we should expect out of players.

I do think Bowden played the best QB he had on the roster available to play in 11 of 12 games this season. Woodson was terrible and there really wasn't anyone else.

I've mentioned this to someone already. That's the real problem. THIS is the best we have found/developed at the QB position after 3 seasons of the Bowden regime being in town?

The only real problem I had with the play calling was that we adopted the loser mentality of running the ball and punting on 3rd and long on more than one occasion. This could have actually tied into the same issue....no confidence in the guy you have playing QB to make the play...who is playing by default because you have nobody better.

But for the most part, the play calling has involved multiple routes being run by a number of receivers. The QB then needs to make a good choice and deliver a good pass. That's not happening with this guy. When 6 or 7 guys are rushing, how can you be trying to throw to a guy who is double covered? Someone else HAS to be a better option. The INT in the end zone was also simply a late, lazy throw to the sideline.

I've said this all along about Pohl. He doesn't make enough good throws in enough situations to sustain drives and lead to scores. Just too many 5 yard crossing routes on 3rd and 5 that are behind receivers or in the ground. Too many downfield passes into coverage that get knocked away. Forget the play calling, for the most part. When 4 or 5 guys are running routes on nearly every down, there's makeable plays out there somewhere, if you make the right choice and throw a good enough pass.

I agree with this post. I just didn't see any plays or games that left me saying, "Kyle really made some plays to win the game". Normally, it was more of Kyle making a really poor throw or two that left us playing catch up. Maybe he develops in the off season but I'm pretty sure this is what you'll get from him in his senior year. Additionally, the fact that he can no longer run takes away a dimension he once possessed. I don't know if Chapman or Kincade are the answers but I know they're physically superior. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Akron will have a team with lots of experience next year and can win the East. The question is who gives the team the best shot to win games. Not just who is best at managing games.

Pohl has gotten better since he came to Akron. Not the jump in ability we should expect out of players.

I do think Bowden played the best QB he had on the roster available to play in 11 of 12 games this season. Woodson was terrible and there really wasn't anyone else.

This thread is about the best QB for 2015. I agree Woodson is terrible.

This thread is about the best QB for 2015. I agree Woodson is terrible.

I call this the Moe, Larry, Curly decision. We have a QB with experience who isn't getting the job done as someone with his experience should. We have another who throws INTs like he is handing out candy on Halloween. We have a third who is coming in after getting the boot from a terrible Pitt program and underwhelmed at a D2 school, but he is from a local high school so he will be taken seriously by those who believe that matters. If these are the choices, I'm probably going to choose to not pay attention.

One of the problems here is a major difference in QB styles. If the offense is built around one QB's style it won't fit the others. Do you build the offense around a QB who's not a running threat or one who is? Whichever style is chosen will favor one type of QB over the other. The Zips offense has been built around a QB who's not a running threat but also isn't a great passer. If your QB isn't a great passer, you can at least get some offset if he can run. I'd rather see the Zips commit to one style of QB and offense or the other so at least when a backup QB has to be used there'll be an offense around him that suits his style of play.

One of the problems here is a major difference in QB styles. If the offense is built around one QB's style it won't fit the others. Do you build the offense around a QB who's not a running threat or one who is? Whichever style is chosen will favor one type of QB over the other. The Zips offense has been built around a QB who's not a running threat but also isn't a great passer. If your QB isn't a great passer, you can at least get some offset if he can run. I'd rather see the Zips commit to one style of QB and offense or the other so at least when a backup QB has to be used there'll be an offense around him that suits his style of play.

Agreed. But I've always felt that the Bowden offense was dumbed down for the QB (fitting a system to the QB). We need to find a QB for the system, becuase it didn't work for us the other way around. DW13 ran the offense much more effectively than Pohl ever did.

the only thing that might be a problem is the injury that he had. he has been hurt a few times

in his pt at akron. alott of times these kids lie to the coach and tell him they are 100% when they are not.

im more worried about rb next year.shawn is gone.all the other ones are hurt.all we have left is the fourth team running back. osu has five rb that are better than anyone we have. none of are rb would see the field at osu.i know we have transfer but I have not seen the guy play.under jd we had three good running backs to start the season.we were down to one at the end.you can never have enough rb!!!!

the only thing that might be a problem is the injury that he had. he has been hurt a few times

in his pt at akron. alott of times these kids lie to the coach and tell him they are 100% when they are not.

im more worried about rb next year.shawn is gone.all the other ones are hurt.all we have left is the fourth team running back. osu has five rb that are better than anyone we have. none of are rb would see the field at osu.i know we have transfer but I have not seen the guy play.under jd we had three good running backs to start the season.we were down to one at the end.you can never have enough rb!!!!

I agree. It will be tough to replace Shawn.

Anybody read the Plain Dealer on Sunday. Elton Alexander,(I know not a favorite on this site) really pointed the finger at Bowden and the offensive side of the ball for the poor showing of the team this year. He pointed to the apparent unwillingness to utilize the run game more effectively and consistently in an effort to take some heat off the passing game and the QB's. He also pointed out has was mentioned here,that the level of MAC competition that Akron had to face this year was pretty poor. Whatever we think about the opinion,somebody outside of the school is paying attention to what is going on with this program.

The point being that maybe with a little more versatility in the offense and not relying as much on the QB's, it may have been more productive.

I've exhausted my writing (and voting) on Kyle. I wish him luck, but my opinion has remained unchanged since my original evaluation last year at this time. He did nothing this year to change that.

• Tra'Von needs to be coach Bowden's next Janoris Jenkins.

• The offensive playbook should be rebuilt.

• We need a RB and WR that put some fear in opposing defenses.

A lot of offseason processes should be set in place now. The staff has to really hyperfocus on the three above issues.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To me the thought of replacing Pohl is ridiculous. Maybe Chapman or Kincade will be ready to challenge, but Pohl will be our Senior leader and should be given some respect. If he had not been mauled by poor OL blocking most of the year (especially on his concussion play off LT) we would be bowling this year. Have a healthy Spring, get some FBS O-lineman, a WR, and anyone else we can get and use those upper classmen to build a winning season.

I would think that if Woodson is good enough to be the qb in 2015 he probably should have been good enough to be the qb in 2014.

Likewise, if Kincade is good enough next fall to unseat a fifth year senior who has 2 years of starting experience as a redshirt freshman, he probably should have been starting this year.

Nothing magical is going to happen during this offseason to make these guys better than Pohl.

Chapman is the wild card.

To me the thought of replacing Pohl is ridiculous. Maybe Chapman or Kincade will be ready to challenge, but Pohl will be our Senior leader and should be given some respect. If he had not been mauled by poor OL blocking most of the year (especially on his concussion play off LT) we would be bowling this year. Have a healthy Spring, get some FBS O-lineman, a WR, and anyone else we can get and use those upper classmen to build a winning season.

I don't get why you think that's ridiculous. Pohl isn't the leader we need, he never was. We can make all the excuses for him that we want: poor WRs, bad OL, concussion...on-and-on-and-on. Those were not Pohl's problems.

His problems at the position are those that you cannot intrinsically fix with an OL or WRs or coaching...he just doesn't have what it takes. The Pohl from 2013 is the same Pohl we had from 2014. You expect it'd be anything new in 2015? It's time to have a open competition. If he can hold on to the position, good for him. But if he does hold on to the position, I don't believe that will be a good sign for the Zips offense in 2015.

I'll try again. The Woodson experiment should be enough to prove to you that a RS Freshman might not be best if we have an upperclassman on the roster. Another example - Stein was benched for a Freshman and put back in. I think we made the same mistake by playing Woodson instead of Hirschman as there is a big difference in maturity between a Freshman and a Senior. Our problem in 2014 was the offensive line and this was proved in our MAC play (just look at the Buffalo and BG games). We need a huge athletic offensive line in 2015 and all will be fine. Focus on the line and all will be fine.

You play the best player. Don't care if its a true freshman or a 5th year senior. Kincade was a lot better caliber of recruit than Pohl. Totally feasible that he is better. Pohl started the year alright. Even if Bowden thought Kincade could be better later in the season, there is no reason to burn his redshirt that late.

For the two examples you just gave, I could match you every single time where a younger player was played over an older one and it worked out great. Manziel and Winston both won Heisman's as redshirt freshman's. Winston has yet to lose a game in his career. Its a good thing Jimbo didn't go with the older guys. Same with Sumlin, he'd probably be fired by now if he didnt play Manziel. Obviously those are a different caliber of players than we have, but they were also competing and beating out similar caliber players.