Bryant at Akron 11/30/2014

GJGood

I had never heard of them until they appeared on OSWho's basketball schedule last year. They were one of those long list of cupcakes they had stacked on their schedule in OOC play along with Morgan State, American, North Florida, and Central Connecticut, just to name a few.

The Suckeyes beat them by 38 points. Hopefully we can do the same, but who knows how formidable they are, compared to last year.

Trying to watch the live stream on iPad but every time I try to go full screen I lose the video entirely and have just audio. Anybody else having similar issues? Any suggestions?

It worked fine on my MacBook Air. Good game. Bryant was on fire from behind the arc.

Robotham the real deal once again.

Liked seeing Robo (freshman), Tino (freshman), Big Dog (soph.), Kwan (soph.) & Deji (senior) finish out the game.

Another solid game from Pat. He's legit.

Need to work on our end game situations, but that is somewhat to be expected with such a young roster. It also doesn't help when you have a guy on the other side who is just hitting ridiculous 3s from NBA range and beyond.

Noah is the real deal, but I thought his defense was lagging a bit in the second half.

Deji was the real difference maker. Have to say, he is starting to make me eat a little bit of crow recently. He took over for about a 3 - 4 minute stretch there in the middle of the second half. Seems to have really worked on his game over the summer and is relishing that 6th man role.

Not sure I trust Antino Jackson that much yet. His shot selection was really shaky tonight and he made an absolute bonehead foul that almost resulted in a 4 point play late (as it turned out the 3 rimmed out and Bryant missed all 3 FTs). You can see the talent there, but he needs to get a handle on the pace of the game at this level.

For some reason, that particular player works better on Android than on PC. I had two PC's going, wired internet, horrible. The Nexus 7 (2013) Android tablet, over wifi, put it on the 40" TV just fine. Go figure. Next time I will experiment with setting the tablet on "android" or "Ipad", I was running it in flash. The mobile site might be better.

Tino made a couple of rookie mistakes, but it is so good to get it out of his system now.

Deji has turned into a star. That's why KD is the coach and I watch the games in my living room.

Robo is the real deal. I am shocked how good this kid plays.

Kwan was a little quiet tonight, but he made a beauty of a turn around jumper. We have been missing a guy who could do that for years.

This team is going to be the cardiac kids, but we will win more than we lose. We are going to blow a few games at the end. STILL have issues inbounding, have to work hard on that.

Early in the game, I convinced myself that it shouldn't be hard to defend them if they had no inside presence.

But even without that, they could dribble-drive and dish to the perimeter like crazy. And they had several guys who could do it. It was as if we were trying to defend 5 guards at times. I don't suppose we'll see another team like that again.

Interesting Stat: Our 4 guards accounted for OVER HALF of our rebounds tonight. That's normally an indication that missed shots are scattering all over, which makes sense when you see that there where FIFTY ONE 3-pointers attempted in this game.

I was watching for a few specific things tonight. First, assists went back to normal after a couple of outlier games where assists were way below average. Tonight the Zips had 13 assists on 24 field goals -- better than 50%. Second, Noah returned to his more normal number of field goal attempts with only 7, making 6.

The other thing was which of the younger players were going to get more minutes. I figured Big Dog would get longer minutes to help work himself back into shape, and he did with 16 minutes. He's still far from back to normal, but clearly better than he was in the 4 road games. Antino also played 16 minutes, with 13 of those in the critical second half. It's interesting that even though Nyles had another good game, he played 13 of his 19 minutes in the first half. I'm guessing that Coach Dambrot figures that Antino is not yet physically ready to play long minutes, and that he has more value later in games. Along with Deji's 20 minutes and Noah's 33, the Zips have a strong 4-guard rotation with each player having different strengths.

I was a little surprised that BJ (4 minutes) and Aaron (2 minutes) got so little time. But the game remained pretty close most of the way through, the Zips have proven options at their positions and both of the redshirt freshmen still need a little seasoning to better understand how to do all the right things at all the right times.

I'd like to think the Bryant team we saw tonight was more like the one that was leading UConn 8 minutes into the second half than the one that was whipped by Vermont. Certainly their performance against UConn showed what Bryant is capable of doing on a good night.

Tino made a couple of rookie mistakes, but it is so good to get it out of his system now.

Deji has turned into a star. That's why KD is the coach and I watch the games in my living room.

Robo is the real deal. I am shocked how good this kid plays.

Kwan was a little quiet tonight, but he made a beauty of a turn around jumper. We have been missing a guy who could do that for years.

This team is going to be the cardiac kids, but we will win more than we lose. We are going to blow a few games at the end. STILL have issues inbounding, have to work hard on that.

+1.

Robotham continues to amaze.

And who the hell is that #4 guy running around? In the past, I never thought he deserved any minutes. Now, I cringe when we take him out. Dude has all summer to rest, play him.

#4 is going to be this years Jawanza Moore/ Jimmy Conyers.

I know I've been harping about how I see Kwan and Nyles as the guys who can rise up this year and be surprises, and really give us a chance to have a successful season without Tree.

There's a reason why I hadn't brought up Deji.

I actually already expected that he'd be a big contributor. You could already see it coming last year, in my opinion. Both the physical tools and the production appeared to be ready to blossom. So, although I know he put a lot of work into the off-season, his performances so far have not really been a tremendous surprise to me.

Coach Dambrot in Beacon:

“[Deji] has earned every minute he has gotten. There have been stretches where he didn’t play at all, some self-inflicted and some coach-inflicted. I respect him. I like his attitude. I like him as a kid. I like the amount of time he puts in the gym. He is a talented guy. He has got good stuff to him. He can drive it, shoot it and he is long. He is a good athlete.”

I hope the guy who sits a few rows in front of me reads this. ;)

I like this quote from Dambrot on Antino:

“[Antino] is a great kid, but he is erratic emotionally, which causes him to have erratic play,” Dambrot said. “But there is nobody in America that if he is right can keep him in front of (him) because he can shoot the 3-ball, he can shoot the pull-up and he can drive it and handle the ball well. He is just not all the way there yet. ..."

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/ncaa-men-s-basketball-akron-coach-keith-dambrot-seeks-more-consistent-play-from-zips-1.545892