Officiating Thread

Dr Z

Well, tonight's WMU game is the second I've watched in the last 8 days where MAC ref Frank Spencer has issued both a warning and a technical to the UA bench, so 2 warnings and 2 technicals in 2 games in 8 days on the Zips bench by 1 official. This is starting to sound like a personal problem.

Well, tonight's WMU game is the second I've watched in the last 8 days where MAC ref Frank Spencer has issued both a warning and a technical to the UA bench, so 2 warnings and 2 technicals in 2 games in 8 days on the Zips bench by 1 official. This is starting to sound like a personal problem.

or maybe they are warranted? KD said his was. If his T was, I'm sure his warning was warranted as well.

I repeat, nobody has it out for the zips.

or maybe they are warranted? KD said his was. If his T was, I'm sure his warning was warranted as well.

I repeat, nobody has it out for the zips.

I like how your response to Dave's post escalates rather quickly from speculation and uncertainty to insisting that you are certain that you know the intensions of an official who you don't even know.

You're dead wrong if you think certain officials don't have a problem with certain coaches, players, or teams. The extent to which any of them allow those feelings to influence their decision making is the only question.

• Like 1

I like how your response to Dave's post escalates rather quickly from speculation and uncertainty to insisting that you are certain that you know the intensions of an official who you don't even know.

You're dead wrong if you think certain officials don't have a problem with certain coaches, players, or teams. The extent to which any of them allow those feelings to influence their decision making is the only question.

The same ref that issued a warning to KD also issued a warning to Hawkins. I wonder if he has it out for WMU as well. I mean seriously...we are complaining about KD getting a T that he said himself he deserved. Take off your blinders.

The same ref that issued a warning to KD also issued a warning to Hawkins. I wonder if he has it out for WMU as well. I mean seriously...we are complaining about KD getting a T that he said himself he deserved. Take off your blinders.

We're complaining because the officiating was so bad that Dambrot felt that he had to go out and get a T to show his players he will fight for them when they are getting screwed.

• Like 1

I get it. You're convinced. Nothing more I can say than what I posted in #133.

For all those that think the refs are out to get us. In the Can't game, Can't had 21 fouls to our 15, we shot 24 foul shots to their 17.

Most importantly, after Can't took a double digit lead, KD called a time out and Kwan took the ball and bounced hard into the floor and it went up about 15 feet. Instead of calling a T, the ref went to talk to Kwan. He could have called a T but understood that the player was just upset.

The refs let the teams play and it was a very well officiated game.

• Like 1

The refs let the teams play?!

I'll say that the game was better, but the stupid no touch fouls were there and called against both teams. That kind of crap ruins the entertainment of the game. Still, definitely better than most games, but hardly a perfectly officiated game (are they ever?).

The refs let the teams play?!

I'll say that the game was better, but the stupid no touch fouls were there and called against both teams. That kind of crap ruins the entertainment of the game. Still, definitely better than most games, but hardly a perfectly officiated game (are they ever?).

I agree. There were still way to many ticky tack fouls both ways. Take away about half of the calls and it would have been about right. Luckily they called more on Can't for once.

We had 1 foul through the first 8 minutes of the second half and only ended with 8 I think. I don't think many ticky tacky calls were made. I don't remember one hand check foul.

Then we were watching different games. I thought the refs stayed fair throughout, but there were multiple calls that I laughed at. Sometimes the fouler didn't even touch the player that was fouled.

I was driving home, thinking about calls like the charge on Pat (a huge 5 point swing), a few no calls toward the end, etc, and then I told myself I just needed to stop. It is what it is, and this is what it is - generally, the officiating in the MAC is mediocre. I felt that way tonight, I felt that way last night, and I felt that way Wednesday night. The biggest issue is consistency - they go from letting them play to calling ticky tak to letting them play and so on. It kills game momentum, it swings momentum when it shouldn't, and it often makes games tough to watch and enjoy. Personally, I don't care if a game is called close or not, I just want it to stay one way for 40 minutes.

With that said, it is what it is. It isn't changing, and there's no sense in continuing to get angry over the same thing game after game. The conference employs mediocre officials and there is nothing we can do about that, so the team just has to worry about what they can worry about on the court.

• Like 1

I think this game proved more than any other that the refs in the MAC are just plain bad. They in no way favored one team over the other, but had absolutely zero control over the game. They even admitted it themselves when they gave Hurley a technical within the first 4 minutes of the game.

I remember when Keith kept pointing and yelling at that official during a 2nd half timeout.

He also talked in the postgame about an instance where an official raised his arm to indicate a foul, didn't blow the whistle, and then allowed the play to go on, which is unacceptable.

I wonder if this all had to do with the same incident, and if anyone can tell us the specific non-call that this involved?