2015 Zips in Pro Leagues International & Domestic

I'll start this with moves by the Portland Timbers today.

Players who were already under contract for the 2015 season are: goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts; defenders Jack Jewsbury, Norberto Paparatto and Liam Ridgewell; midfielders Diego Chara, Will Johnson, Darlington Nagbe and Diego Valeri; and forwards Fanendo Adi, Schillo Tshuma and Maximiliano Urruti.

The Timbers have picked up the 2015 contract options on midfielders George Fochive, Michael Nanchoff, Rodney Wallace and Ben Zemanski, defender Taylor Peay and goalkeepers Jake Gleeson and Andrew Weber.

The Timbers declined the 2015 contract options on midfielders Kalif Alhassan and Steven Evans, and defenders Bryan Gallego and Pa Modou Kah.

Columbus Crew SC Expansion Draft List

PROTECTED: Clark Finlay Francis Gall Higuain Jimenez Kamara Meram Parkhurst Pogatetz Tchani

EXEMPT: Barson/Lampson/Trapp.

Former Zips not protected by their MLS Club:

Ben Speas (CCSC)

Chris Korb (DCU)

Eric Stevenson (NYRB)

Michael Nanchoff (PTFC)

Bryan Gallego (PTFC)

I'll start this with moves by the Portland Timbers today.

On the Timbers' FB page, there were a lot of complaints about them protecting Zemanski -- which went completely against the comments received for his late season performance. Over the last weeks of the season, people were remarking that they should keep Ben, and sell off Will Johnson, the injured veteran he was filling in for. Johnson is a former MLS All-Star. BTW -- according to what I read, Mike Nanchoff WAS protected by PTFC, however, that seems to be contraindicated by the article. I guess the Norwegian GK they picked up will be replacing Donovan Ricketts, who I can't see getting through the expansion draft undrafted.

• Like 1

Interesting to see Channel 19 talk with Darlington Nagbe (wearing a Cavs jersey) at the Q last night about Johnny Manziel (clip on 10 pm news on Ch 43). Too bad they had no clue to whom they were talking. Just another Cavs fan, not. Moron Cleveland sports media. So caught up in Johnny hype ( :zzz: ), they don't know much else.

• Like 2

I'm spending the night looking at international soccer competitions (mainly in England) because what else is there to do when you're home for Christmas break. Anyways, Tottenham is still alive in the FA Cup (3rd round proper on January 5), Football League Cup (they advanced to the Semifinals to be played on January 20 and 27 after a win today), and the Europa League (Round of 32 on Feb 19 and 26).

What do you guys think are DeAndre's chances of appearing in any of those games, considering he is expected to join the Spurs around the New Year? I know it will probably take him a while to work up to first-team appearances but teams often use reserves in these types of competitions. I just though it would be great to see a Zip playing on such large international competitions.

Interesting to see Channel 19 talk with Darlington Nagbe (wearing a Cavs jersey) at the Q last night about Johnny Manziel (clip on 10 pm news on Ch 43). Too bad they had no clue to whom they were talking. Just another Cavs fan, not. Moron Cleveland sports media. So caught up in Johnny hype ( :zzz: ), they don't know much else.

Ugh really? Can't fault the Johnny Football hype train since that's what people care about, but (and I didn't see this video) what could have been neater is the interview being presented as the opinion of the Cleveland QB from a different pro athlete from Cleveland. Oh well. It's happened to bigger stars than Darlington

beckham-brand-fan.jpg

Yeah that was a real thing a few years back.

Anyway, I came here to post that, for what it's worth (not much really) MLS did a mock draft and had Saad going to LA with the last pick of the first round.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/12/17/mock-draft-v10-less-month-go-mls-campus-looks-ahead-2015-superdraft

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/01/03/15/28/150103-mnt-jk-qa-2015-plans

ussoccer.com: DeAndre Yedlin has been granted a work permit and is on his way to Spurs. What types of challenges will he face there, and what advice have you given him?
JK: “I think with DeAndre Yedlin we all know that he’s a very talented kid coming through the ranks and he needs time. He’s still raw, he’s still developing and Tottenham knows that. Yes, we hope he’s going to play there right away, but if he doesn’t it’s not the end of the world because he has to learn to grind things out and fight his way through. He’s in a very good environment there that teaches him to focus daily on his job and deliver his qualities. Then hopefully over time he comes through to make his mark on the Premier League. He has the talent to do so, but it will be a lot of work for him.”

Yedlin: It all Happened So Fast

A Seattle Sounders corner-kick came to nothing. Worse still, it sent Philadelphia Union flying up the other way on a counter-attack that was sure to end in a goal. The Sounders over-committed, but young Yedlin, whose mistake caused the break, began to pump his fists and legs, working his way up through the gears. He became a blur. He turned the rest of the world into a slow-motion movie. Cristian Maidana had a 15-yard head start. But like a racehorse charging down the backstretch, Yedlin passed the stunned Argentine, snatched away the ball and passed it off calmly to a team-mate. No desperate tackle. No professional foul. Yedlin knew he would get there and with how much time to spare.

One coach seduced by this searing, un-teachable speed is Jurgen Klinsmann, The former striker has a soft spot for pure pace up the flanks. Klinsmann relied on an unknown David Odonkor when in charge of his native Germany at the 2006 FIFA World Cup™. Odonkor lacked finesse. His career amounted to little. But his blazing run up the right against Poland kept the hosts from going out in the first round.

A month after the World Cup, Yedlin caught another coach’s eye. Mauricio Pochettino raced to get the wide man’s signature for Tottenham Hotspur. “He’s a young player with great potential who has already achieved a lot,” the Argentine said of the Sounders youth academy product. It took months for Yedlin’s work papers to go clear – a lumbering governmental bureaucracy perhaps the only force able slow his progress.

Even though I only got to see it on the video feed, it was really cool seeing the number of past Zips soccer stars that made it to the JAR last night. I didn't see Steve Zakuani though, did he make it?

No, unfortunately Steve wasn't there.

As I recall:

Wil Trapp

Scott Caldwell

Chad Barson

Sinisa Ubiparipovic

Ben Zemanski

Darlington Nagbe

Evan Bush

David Meves

Kofi Sarkodie

Michael Nanchoff