2015 Zips in Pro Leagues International & Domestic

Since he has been drafted (#12) by SKC, I'm bringing this over to this thread

Grading the 2015 MLS SuperDraft

Sporting KC

Selections: M Connor Hallisey, California; D Saad Abdul-Salaam; M Amadou Dia, Clemson

Grade: B

Sporting KC had three first-round picks, and two of them were square hits. Hallisey has true potential in the midfield, though he may not be a ready-out-of-the-box kind of player. The true gem might be Abdul-Salaam, a pacey right back who enjoys living in the opponent’s third and whipping in pin-point crosses. Dia is a bit of a puzzler. With a number of quality midfielders still on the board, he was a bit of a stretch at No. 20 overall.

B7bN3YUCEAAcBDV.jpg

http://www.sportingkc.com/video/2015/01/15/reaction-sporting-kc-selects-saad-abdul-salaam

• Like 1

Any word on whether or not Nagbe will be eligible for the 2018 World Cup?

Darlington Nagbe: A Special Talent with U.S. Aspirations

Last December, Nagbe married his college sweetheart and the two are expecting their first child next year. Under U.S. immigration laws, Nagbe will be eligible for American citizenship after three years of marriage (December 15, 2015) provided that he continues to meet residency requirements.

“It will mean a lot,” Nagbe said of obtaining his U.S. citizenship in 25 months. “Personally, for my mom, because she moved here so we could get our citizenship and get a great education. Soccer-wise it will make me eligible to play for the United States national team. That’d be great to potentially have a chance to play for them."

• Like 1

For DC United duo Perry Kitchen and Steve Birnbaum, USMNT call-ups just the first step

Kitchen has long been talked about as a potential USMNT player, often mentioned as a potential senior team contributor but never actually called upon. He is in many ways United’s unsung hero and has been perhaps their most consistent contributor in recent years, flying under the radar while doing the thankless work of a defensive midfielder.

Though the Akron product has gotten his shot at the youth level – having played on the U-17’s, U-20’s and U-23’s – he’s waited patiently through a four-year MLS career for his first senior call-up. ...

Newcomers Get First Taste of Full MNT Camp Day

“Oscar and Dennis play hip-hop music, I’m not too sure exactly who it was. We typically change it every day with different guys taking control. I listen to everything from country to house music. I’m driving the van, but I’m open to anything really.” – Perry Kitchen, defender

150115-mnt-jan-camp-dean-birnbaum-kitche

“We had three different tests; the vertical, the 30-yard dash and the shuffle sprints. It wasn’t too bad. The first session wasn’t too demanding physically, [the coaches] were just trying to get the [base] numbers. The second session with the beep test, that was definitely a lot more fitness for the coaches to see where we are at physically.” - Dillon Serna, midfielder

150115-mnt-jan-camp-dillon-serna.jpg?la=

“We started off and had the beep test and guys did really well. I thought we worked really hard. We jumped right into a passing drill after and kind of worked the soccer side after getting a little fatigued. It makes it a little more game realistic because in games it’s going to be difficult, especially at the international level, so getting your touch down when you’re tired is massively important.” - Wil Trapp, midfielder

150115-mnt-jan-camp-wil-trapp.jpg

• Like 1

Tweet: Congrats to Perry Kitchen, DeAndre Yedlin, Dillon Serna & Wil Trapp on being named to the @ussoccer national team. http://bit.ly/1urJgij

Four Zips in the friendlies vs Chile and Panama. Excellent. Has to play into getting ready for the 2016 Olympics as well. Klinnsman's assistant, Herzog, was named the U23 Head Coach for this Olympic cycle.

Anyone know where I should go to watch the Chile game? I work with a Chilean and a few other Latins and wanted to organize a small watch party

If you are in the Akron area, come to Ray's Pub in Highland Square! There will be a contingent of US fans there from AO Akron, some of us are Zips fans as well.

• Like 1

Kitchen and Trapp: The Future of the US Midfield

http://centrodeportivo.com/content/2015/01/25/kitchen-and-trapp-future-us-midfield

This is my dream come true. With Nagbe playing in front of them? Oh yeaaahhhh

and DeAndre Yedlin behind, and in front of, them. ;)

Excellent. Thanks for posting Yaz.

How Caleb Porter helped Wil Trapp fnd his way to the USMNT senior team.

About a year ago, men’s national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann called Caleb Porter seeking some insight about the next generation of top American players.

“I said, ‘There’s this kid Wil Trapp,’ ” said Porter, coach of the Portland Timbers in Major League Soccer. ...

For Porter, who coached Trapp at the University of Akron and has led the U.S. Under-23 team, this occasion has been a long time coming.

“It was only a matter of time before Wil got this opportunity,” Porter said. “I remember vividly thinking after a certain game at Akron that this kid’s going to be our next potential national team holding midfielder. He just has a technical composure on the ball that’s rare for a holding mid and his intelligence tactically.”

Speaking from Chile yesterday, Trapp said there is a mix of butterflies that come with anticipating his debut.

“It’s something to be excited about, but I’m not going to let it bring me down or overthink it,” he said. “It’s been a good two weeks. I think I’ve been acclimating to the level and finding my feet a little bit. I’m excited to hopefully get to play.” ...

• Like 1

For anyone interested, former Zip Elliot Bradbrook has been captaining 5th tier English side Dartford FC since 2010. Obviously not the most prestigious league (only the top 4 leagues in England are considered full-time professionals), but still cool to see that he is still playing.

Here's his bio from their website

Was looking over Dartford's club, looks as if his brother Tom is on the same squad. It doesn't mention it on Elliot's profile, but does on Tom's.

For anyone interested, former Zip Elliot Bradbrook has been captaining 5th tier English side Dartford FC since 2010. Obviously not the most prestigious league (only the top 4 leagues in England are considered full-time professionals), but still cool to see that he is still playing.

Here's his bio from their website

Isn't the Football Conference just below the Championship? That would make it the third tier. I notice Bristol Rovers near the top, who were in the Premier league just a few short years ago, IIRC.

• Like 1

Isn't the Football Conference just below the Championship? That would make it the third tier. I notice Bristol Rovers near the top, who were in the Premier league just a few short years ago, IIRC.

Conference is the 5th tier. 1-Premier League, 2-Championship, 3-League 1, 4-League 2, 5-Conference Premier, 6-Conference North and South, and so on.

• Like 1