2015 Zips in Pro Leagues International & Domestic

Looks like Zach Portillos has signed his first pro contract and with the "Rowdies" nonetheless. Congrats, Zach!

https://twitter.com/TampaBayRowdies/status/569932853359857664

http://www.thebradentontimes.com/news/2015/02/28/sports/rowdies_add_four_young_prospects_to_2015_roster/#.VPH7oi4r6iE

Verbatim excerpt: "...Portillos, who played for the University of Akron, an NCAA powerhouse..." :thumb:

• Like 2

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91stminute/2015/03/the-mls-grinder-the-walking-shea/

Caleb Porter is changing

About 16 minutes into Sunday’s Timbers-Galaxy game, there was an instructive moment of interchange between John Strong and Alexi Lalas on the Fox broadcast on Caleb Porter and possession soccer. This came after the Timbers coughed up another quick burst of possession on the near sideline.

Lalas: “We’ve also mentioned three or four times the direct play of the Portland Timbers. In talking to Caleb Porter, it’s a very different type of Caleb Porter than we’ve seen in the past. The way that he thinks about this team and how this team is going to get results this year. Very pragmatic. Almost humbled, if you will. I’m not sure I like that type of Caleb Porter.”

Strong: “You two had quite the conversation about that idea, of the way the Timbers want to play. And Porter, his philosophy right now is basically whatever gets us to win games is the way we want to play.”

Lalas: “We had a long conversation about possession and just possession for possession or purposeful possession and all the things people talk about when they talk about possession. I think he’s recognized that being direct right now is the way to go. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to possess the ball. It doesn’t matter how much possession you do or don’t have, you still have to do the little things right. Like defend set pieces.”

Sad words, all of them.

If we’ve established already that the “long ball” (aka “diagonal ball”) is not in itself bad, then we also acknowledge that Porter playing for wins through the conduit of any means necessary (and not an aesthetic one) isn’t itself a negative. But Porter isn’t that kind of coach. The sadness in it revolves around the fact that over the top ball and playing your most dangerous soccer on the break isn’t who Porter is. He wants to dazzle through the midfield. With this team, on turf (I SAID THOSE WORDS) it isn’t possible to do it and win in MLS.

So he’s adapted. As good coaches do. We’ll touch on exactly what the Timbers are doing differently in later Grinders. But as you saw in Portland’s wild 2-2 draw with LA, the Timbers got almost all of their most dangerous attacking moments through quick-burst soccer. Porter will play this way as long as he has to, but wow… I want the old Caleb back. At Peak Porter, there’s nobody in American soccer coaching quite like him.

I don't understand why Portland has turf rather than grass. It's a soccer only stadium. With the drainage systems available, I can't believe that they cannot have grass.

• Like 1

Wil Trapp and Alfred Karoma (yes, Alfred Karoma Shams is our Alfred Karoma) called into USMNT U23 camp. The team will train from March 23-26 and then face Bosnia’s U-23 National Team on Friday, March 27, in Tuzla, before travelling to face Denmark on Tuesday, March 31.

EDIT: http://www.columbuscrewsc.com/news/2015/03/crew-sc-midfielder-wil-trapp-earns-call-united-states-under-23-squad-friendly

Columbus Crew SC today announced that midfielder Wil Trapp has been named to U.S. Soccer’s Under-23 roster that is set to face Denmark in a friendly on March 31 in Copenhagen. The Crew SC midfielder is slated to depart following the Black & Gold’s March 28 Major League Soccer match against the New York Red Bulls, rejoining Crew SC after international duty. ...

...After the March 28 tilt against the Red Bulls at MAPFRE Stadium, Crew SC has an MLS bye weekend on April 4-5 before a two-match road swing, traveling to face Vancouver (April 8) and New England (April 11).

• Like 1

I don't know what motivates Americans to choose a specific EPL team ... relatives, ancestors, friends, ? ... but I choose Tottenham over any other as long as there is a former Zip on the team. If another former Zip were to go to the EPL, then I would follow multiple teams like I do with MLS.

The tissue at hand: Portland's Caleb Porter sheds light on postgame incident with FC Dallas' Oscar Pareja

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2015/04/05/watch-oscar-pareja-and-caleb-porter-exchange-words-after-final-whistle#ooid=00cHBjdDoQly_k8_OyejLYLhjzQH1IX_

"I walked over to shake his hand and he had a tissue that he put over his nose and tried to hand me a tissue," Timbers head coach Caleb Porter said in the postgame press conference. "So I thought it was very poor sportsmanship out of him [Pareja]. I never said one word to him the whole game and he obviously wasn't happy with the loss.

"But I've never had a coach come up and disrespect me like that. So that's what happened."

No word yet on Pareja's version of the events.

EDIT: Not sure you have to read lips to figure out what Caleb is saying as he points to the scoreboard (3-1 Timbers), grabs the tissue, tosses it and walks on. :mad_flame:

• Like 1