Middle Tennessee @ Zips

Dr Z

The Zips did attack the basket on offense and received numerous charging calls for their efforts. The Zips hit better than their season average percentage of 3-point shots tonight while MT hit a much higher percentage of 3-pointers than their average. Guarding the 3-point line was not critical because MT only had a 1-point lead and a 2-point shot would have been just as good as a 3-pointer. The total fouls for the game ended up even but the timing of the calls and who they were called against favored MT as mentioned in the officiating thread.

Yes, you're right. When you drop your shoulder, it is a charge... (all 3 times).

Yes, guarding the 3 point line was critical because that was the shot UA kept taking all night and the strength of their offense. MT took it away from them which is why they didn't get a shot off. Obviously Kermit thought it was important to take it away on that last possession.

The Zips never adjusted to MT attacking the back door in the paint -- which is why they shot 55%.

The Zips live and die by the 3.

The Zips didn't attack the basket on offense, MT did....can't blame the refs. If the Zips attack, they get calls too.

The TO with 14 seconds left was a bad one. It gave MT a chance to set up to guard the 3 point line,,,,which they did and that is the reason they didn't get a shot off.

I said to my buddy near the end of the game "it's funny how everyone is complaining about the refs." The fouls were even. Get over it folks, KD got out coached. He had no answer for the inside play of MT.

So many contradictions...

I questioned this to my wife when they put Kretzer in for him with about 90 seconds left. Keep the 5 in that got you back within striking distance. I understand Jake gives you a guy where you can easily switch on defense where he can defend bigs but I wanted to see Tino finish the game.

Dambrot is infamous for staying strong to his rotations rather than keeping hot hands in the game.

There are hundreds of moves made in every game that can be questioned in retrospect. Of all the points brought up so far that were under the Zips control, I think the biggest single area where they could have turned the game around is the point made by Sportsjunkie330 about not adjusting to defend the back door in the paint. This is an area of weakness I've noticed in other games, and it's something that other teams will become aware of and exploit. I think the Zips have done a better job of adjusting to not having Tree on offense than defense. I suspect that Coach Dambrot is going to start demanding more smart thinking and teamwork on defense as the season goes on to plug the hole in the back door that's leading to too many easy buckets in the paint.

The guards, primarily Robatham, have to attempt to penetrate more and break down the defense.

I'm glad someone brought this up. I pointed this out during the Charleston tournament, and I saw it again. Although he certainly needs to penetrate more, the problem isn't that he's not penetrating. The problem is that when he does, he seems to always try to go all the way to the basket. I'd love to see him penetrate and dish. A point guard becomes pretty easy to defend when you know what he's going to do when he enters the paint on the dribble. I recall at least 3 times during this game where he went right to the basket, almost as if he had made up his mind, regardless of how the defense reacted. I think 2 of them ended up being charges, and one resulted in a very awkward attempted one-handed scoop shot from way too far away from the basket. He can do a much better job if he keeps his head up, and becomes unpredictable when he enters the paint. I'm sure he'll learn.

I just wish there had been a shot, any shot, rather than time running out.

Better yet, when you are down by a point, you need to take that shot with at least 5 seconds left on the clock, to allow for a possible tip-in or rebound and put-back. I can live with doing what they did if it were a tie game. But, that situation was awful. It seemed as if everyone was afraid to do anything.

• Like 1

I agree that Noah needs to look to penetrate an dish more, but another problem in that game was him and others unnecessarily dribbling against the zone. They need to minimize dribbling and pass to move the ball quickly against the zone.

Noah also has to get used to guys bodying him up. He will, but it takes time.

I remembering thinking the same thing about Alex when he first arrived (a little reckless when it came to driving to the rim)

When he first arrived? He never stopped going into the paint and throwing up wild shots near the rim. But, he did become pretty good at tossing those little short lob passes to the big guys around the basket. He was good for a couple of those a game. Noah could certainly become a greater asset to us by doing that a few times a game as well.