UA to Renovate the JAR

Blue & Gold

Just imagine what it would be like if we weren't winning.

Just for the sake of discussion, if those college kids you are referring to would have been sitting in a brand new 10k seat arena under the same conditions, watching the same Akron team playing Ball State, would they have been any more interested and involved in what was going on?

I think what you are referring to has nothing to do with the arena. Yes, the environment could be better. I think people can only get so much enjoyment out of timeouts filled with UA baton twirlers, a few dance routines, people shooting foul shots for $10 gift cards, and watching blue hairs who remain seated the entire game.

But as I've said many times, if we ever started doing anything of any significance on a national level, the people would be there, regardless of their feelings about the arena.

And based on what you are saying (uninterested students), I have to say that I am leaning more and more towards favoring a smaller JAR with increased comforts for the 4k fans that will be there every night supporting this team. Make the students fight for their seats, and maybe we will stand a better chance of getting the ones who are interested in a basketball game instead of a place to kick their feet up and play on their phones all night.

Edit: This is in response to Balsy's post. I should have copied it. Sorry Zippy5.

Just imagine what it would be like if we weren't winning.

Just for the sake of discussion, if those college kids you are referring to would have been sitting in a brand new 10k seat arena under the same conditions, watching the same Akron team playing Ball State, would they have been any more interested and involved in what was going on?

I think what you are referring to has nothing to do with the arena. Yes, the environment could be better. I think people can only get so much enjoyment out of timeouts filled with UA baton twirlers, a few dance routines, people shooting foul shots for $10 gift cards, and watching blue hairs who remain seated the entire game.

I'm not necessarily saying we have to build a new arena either. I guess I'm venting frustration with UA, with the JAR, with Akron fans etc. But as I looked around the JAR I saw nothing that made me want to return (other than being a loyal alumni).

To answer for the sake of discussion: Times I spent in the AK Rowdies, or at least near them, was the most fun games I can remember. So unified student section, where students can enter at anytime (because yes, some do come late). I've for a long time been an advocate for AK Roadie brass moving throughout the student section and unifying the cheers from multiple places. That would take some leadership on the current students, and perhaps some guidance from those in higher places.

But Skip I'll confess, I don't know what the solution is. It's something that finally dawned on me yesterday.

I'm not necessarily saying we have to build a new arena either. I guess I'm venting frustration with UA, with the JAR, with Akron fans etc. But as I looked around the JAR I saw nothing that made me want to return (other than being a loyal alumni).

To answer for the sake of discussion: Times I spent in the AK Rowdies, or at least near them, was the most fun games I can remember. So unified student section, where students can enter at anytime (because yes, some do come late). I've for a long time been an advocate for AK Roadie brass moving throughout the student section and unifying the cheers from multiple places. That would take some leadership on the current students, and perhaps some guidance from those in higher places.

But Skip I'll confess, I don't know what the solution is. It's something that finally dawned on me yesterday.

I always love to hear about the experiences of someone like you, who is more "student age". It's been way too long (30 years) for me.

Go look at the game thread from last night. You're not the only one who noticed that we seemed to have a particularly lame crowd last night.

I understand your frustration.....I've seen it way too long.

Do you think the "lame" crowd could have been a product of a solemn occasion? I know the game was meant to be a celebration of Coach Peters but death is not something everyone takes the same way and it may have had more impact on the crowd than you realize. I wasn't there so I can't say but that was my initial thought.

I've heard talk of ripping out the chairs behind the basket, leaving only the platforms, which would force any students there to stand.

I've also been told that the Rowdies and others have repeatedly asked for the student section to be moved to the north side (upper and lower), both to prevent students from sitting in a GA section before they make it to the south side from the student entrance (by Olin hall) so they would all be in one section instead of scattered around, and so that the band would be playing directly into the ears of the opposing bench instead of the Zips' own huddle. There is significant resistance to this idea from the athletic department, with no explanation for why they think the current setup is more beneficial.

Do you think the "lame" crowd could have been a product of a solemn occasion? I know the game was meant to be a celebration of Coach Peters but death is not something everyone takes the same way and it may have had more impact on the crowd than you realize. I wasn't there so I can't say but that was my initial thought.

I can see how someone who wasn't there might get that feeling.

To me, it was not a funeral-like atmosphere at all. There was a huge ovation that lasted for minutes for his family, and his life was being honored and celebrated, and everyone was smiling and taking pictures. I felt like the unique event, and the Purple jerseys we were all wearing might make the crowd more unified and involved in what was going on last night.

Also, to be clear, a lot of people are commenting about how the "lameness" of the crowd was quite noticeable last night. I didn't necessarily see it that way. But I've seen enough lame crowds in that place over the years that I can't distinguish one as being any more lame than another anymore. B)

The problem was a lame offensive first half by the players. We had 7 points at the 10:00 mark. How excited are we supposed to be? Should we be feeling tingly at the prospect of breaking double digits before the first half ended? I remember thinking (and I think saying out loud) that this may be the most boring game I've ever been to. I remember thinking, "I drove an hour for this?"

Some folks just love to attack the fans. Everyone says they want more fans, but when they come, if they don't cheer enough, they're too quiet. If they cheer too loud, they're labelled obnoxious. If they're not clad in full Akron gear, they're scorned. If all you want is people exactly like you, it will be a very empty arena indeed.

• Like 1

The problem was a lame offensive first half by the players. We had 7 points at the 10:00 mark. How excited are we supposed to be? Should we be feeling tingly at the prospect of breaking double digits before the first half ended? I remember thinking (and I think saying out loud) that this may be the most boring game I've ever been to. I remember thinking, "I drove an hour for this?"

I watched the first half, that was all I could take. I would describe the Zips offense in one word, "painstaking." That won't fill seats at any facility.

I've heard talk of ripping out the chairs behind the basket, leaving only the platforms, which would force any students there to stand.

I've also been told that the Rowdies and others have repeatedly asked for the student section to be moved to the north side (upper and lower), both to prevent students from sitting in a GA section before they make it to the south side from the student entrance (by Olin hall) so they would all be in one section instead of scattered around, and so that the band would be playing directly into the ears of the opposing bench instead of the Zips' own huddle. There is significant resistance to this idea from the athletic department, with no explanation for why they think the current setup is more beneficial.

I hear this is being discussed again and it could happen, but not til next season.

That's the way it was my first couple of years. There was a special "student enterance (north side) and we also were supposed to sit on the North side (which we never did, because the JAR isn't full...so why wouldn't we just pick where we want to sit?).

But again...athletics needs to pick something and stick with it. The student section changed like three times when I was there. The last time being with the emcee yelling at students through the microphone to go to the correct student section (south side, while the student entrance was still on the North side...). Make it more convenient for students, not less. I mean, they're paying more than anyone in the good seats are a year! :lol:

I hear this is being discussed again and it could happen, but not til next season.

I would expect it to.

Thinking out loud:

Require Dambrot to play two money games a year. Go into the lion's den & play two B1G big boys on their home courts. Not Northwestern. I'm talking teams that resonate more with Joe Akron - Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Ohio State. (I like the Penn State matchup.)

Use the additional income to offset the financial loss of making the blue seats behind the visiting bench the student section.

• Like 1

Seriously? It was honoring a great man and cause. How is that solem?

I can only speak for myself. I've met thousands of people in my life, and Coach Peters made a bigger impression on me than almost all of them. The ceremony honoring his memory only made me miss being able to look over and see him on the bench encouraging everyone in his 100% positive every moment of the day manner in which I'll always remember him. I was definitely feeling melancholy after the ceremony and hoping the game would raise my spirits. The way it started off with all the missed shots and low scoring didn't help at all. It wasn't until the second half when the world seemed almost right again.

Seriously? The article I read was their were tears flowing. The article didn't note they were tears of joy.[/
Seriously?

I continue to be amazed at the excuses people find for lack of Zips game attendance. I guess the purple out and giving away t-shirts to remember and honor a great man was another marketing and AD mistake.

I continue to be amazed at the excuses people find for lack of Zips game attendance. I guess the purple out and giving away t-shirts to remember and honor a great man was another marketing and AD mistake.

We played Ball State on a Tuesday night in January. Getting 3000+ to show up on a school night, under that scenario, is fine. No one should be grousing.

I couldn't make the game. My youth basketball team was assigned a practice slot on Tuesday night, and I got screwed. I'm sure many others had similar issues...many do during the week. Those of you with an attendance fetish bdsm.gif - Deal with it.

Peters was an awesome guy. My son had a relationship with him through the summer basketball camps. I wish he could have attended, but it didn't work out. He touched hundreds of kids through that program. It's a crime he's gone at 60.

To those of you with a <insert whiny voice> "Why don't the absent season ticket holders give their seats away?" fetish 65589.gif - FU.

Try to give away tickets to see Ball State on a Tuesday night in January. Tell me how it works out.

We played Ball State on a Tuesday night in January. Getting 3000+ to show up on a school night, under that scenario, is fine. No one should be grousing.

I couldn't make the game. My youth basketball team was assigned a practice slot on Tuesday night, and I got screwed. I'm sure many others had similar issues...many do during the week. Those of you with an attendance fetish bdsm.gif - Deal with it.

Peters was an awesome guy. My son had a relationship with him through the summer basketball camps. I wish he could have attended, but it didn't work out. He touched hundreds of kids through that program. It's a crime he's gone at 60.

To those of you with a <insert whiny voice> "Why don't the absent season ticket holders give their seats away?" fetish 65589.gif - FU.

Try to give away tickets to see Ball State on a Tuesday night in January. Tell me how it works out.

My point was that saying people didn't come because it was a solem event is pretty lame. I think KD echoed the same thought.

Seriously? The article I read was their were tears flowing. The article didn't note they were tears of joy.[/
Seriously?

I will preface this with saying that I thought the ceremony was great and it was great that the U of A honored such a great coach and his family.

IMO the marketing dept did swing and miss with this event. It could have and should have been bigger. First off, they only gave away 1,000 t shirts. They should have given away a shirt to everyone that walked through the doors. (I got there 25 minutes before the game and they were out of shirts)

Second, they should have auctioned the jerseys off and donated the proceeds to Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. I have never been to a game where the team wore special jerseys and didn't auction them off for a cause.

Finally, I know that they were selling pins for $5 to raise money, but I don't recall one announcement about them or where to buy them, let alone see someone selling them. The only thing that I was asked to purchase when I walked in was a purple Cleveland Indians hat for $10 and I still am not certain what the cause was for that.

Anyone that has had to go through this with a family member knows how terrible this disease is -- I wanted this to be a big event for the family...and I am certain that it was for them. I just think that it could have been bigger.

Second, they should have auctioned the jerseys off and donated the proceeds to Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. I have never been to a game where the team wore special jerseys and didn't auction them off for a cause.

KD said that they are going to wear them again this season, so auctioning them off probably wouldn't happen until after that.

From this story:

"UA plans for the purple jerseys to be worn twice a year, at what Dambrot hopes will be an annual Purple Out and for the Coaches vs. Cancer suits and sneakers game."

My point was that saying people didn't come because it was a solem event is pretty lame. I think KD echoed the same thought.

If I recall his comments correctly, he was upset that people didn't come to honor Pete. I don't believe he thought that they didn't come because it was a sad occasion.

But, I think some people on here are blaming the lack of crowd enthusiasm on the pregame ceremony. I think that's really reaching, but it does add to the long list of excuses.