UA to Renovate the JAR

Blue & Gold

Problem Solved.  We can just go down to Canton and use what they are going to build.  And they don't even have a D-1 basketball program anywhere in sight.  

He is the description of one of the buildings that will go into the new expansion of the  Hall of Fame complex.

The Performance Center will also house an indoor 100-yard football field with seating for 9,000 and a configuration for a basketball arena that will hold 6,000. It will also have 80,000 square feet of flat convention space.

It does make you wonder why a little bit more forward thinking couldn't have resulted in having something like this being incorporated into the Fieldhouse.  

And don't even get me started on why we built that nice, large convention center as a separate, single-purpose complex, and without an attached hotel.  Good grief.  

Edited by skip-zip

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'm actually jealous of just the damn video itself.  Great job bringing out all the old footage of some of their most exciting moments to highlight their basketball history.  

Well If Akron only had people who gave-a-damn in charge...

6 hours ago, zippy_ua_00 said:

Not to mention $53k a year as opposed to $12k a year per student

Heck, I don't know the numbers on how much a private school vs. a public school actually makes in the end, that can be funneled into building projects.  Would it be wrong to assume that the fact that Akron gets state funding, and Dayton does not, makes everything come out pretty even at the end of the day?  I'd need those more knowledgeable to clear up that issue.  The fact that you're making it sound like Dayton has a lot more money to spend because their tuition is so much higher would be misleading without subtracting everything they don't get in terms of public funds, wouldn't it?

Question:  Is our tuition really 12k per year now?  You guys don't want to know what I paid for tuition at Akron.  

24 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I'm sure the fact that Dayton hosts NCAA tournament helps too. 

Are you guessing that they might be getting some additional money from the NCAA for this project, because they are an annual tournament game host?  I don't even know what they get as a cut of the ticket sales from those 4 games every March.  But I've been there, and I can tell you that the Dayton fans really support those games well, and are the reason those seats are full for those games.  

Edited by skip-zip

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Heck, I don't know the numbers on how much a private school vs. a public school actually makes in the end, that can be funneled into building projects.  Would it be wrong to assume that the fact that Akron gets state funding, and Dayton does not, makes everything come out pretty even at the end of the day?  I'd need those more knowledgeable to clear up that issue.  The fact that you're making it sound like Dayton has a lot more money to spend because their tuition is so much higher would be misleading without subtracting everything they don't get in terms of public funds, wouldn't it?

Question:  Is our tuition really 12k per year now?  You guys don't want to know what I paid for tuition at Akron.  

Are you guessing that they might be getting some additional money from the NCAA for this project, because they are an annual tournament game host?  I don't even know what they get as a cut of the ticket sales from those 4 games every March.  But I've been there, and I can tell you that the Dayton fans really support those games well, and are the reason those seats are full for those games.  

I agree tuition costs has little to nothing to do with this. The difference is college basketball is a big deal in the Dayton, Cincy, Kentucky, Indiana area and it takes a backseat to the NBA in the NEO area. Not only does Dayton attract 13k+, but right down the road from them Wright State attracts 4,000+ despite playing in an inferior conference and being far less successful than Akron has been.

Edit: Even the t-shirt OSU fans don't care about college basketball until March Madness and that's even when OSU was good at basketball.

Edited by kreed5120