UA to Renovate the JAR

Blue & Gold

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, morris buttermaker said:

Akron Arena... sloppy

I'm sure it's just a placeholder for now. My guess is they are shopping around the naming rights and we'll see something before the new scoreboard goes up. I'm actually very impressed and excited for those upgrades. That scoreboard obviously isn't as big as the Q's but its way better than what most colleges have. I'm interested to see how the other ribbon boards will be used. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

With how close the seating is that thing will seem way bigger than it actually is. Should be pretty cool. I know someone on here already told us the details and dimensions but nice to see it official. Wonder how the corner pillar boards will end up looking

I noticed you can see them in the bottom right corner of the rendering. If you look closely you'll see a small curved video board that has a logo, Twitter bird and fear the roo at the bottom.

I'm surprised they didn't want to update the severely outdated black and orange/yellow graphic boards behind the baskets. It's been an eyesore for a long time. Hopefully this means they have bigger and better plans for that area. Fingers crossed.

6 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I noticed you can see them in the bottom right corner of the rendering. If you look closely you'll see a small curved video board that has a logo, Twitter bird and fear the roo at the bottom.

I'm surprised they didn't want to update the severely outdated black and orange/yellow graphic boards behind the baskets. It's been an eyesore for a long time. Hopefully this means they have bigger and better plans for that area. Fingers crossed.

They are replacing the boards behind the baskets with new 2' x 13' ribbon boards.

10 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

They are replacing the boards behind the baskets with new 2' x 13' ribbon boards.

I'm thinking the 2' x 13' ribbon boards are the ones in the image on the bottom of the smaller end boards.  The part that has the score in the rendering.

2' x 13' is pretty small for the endline space .. but it's not far off of what the rendering shows.

With the addition of the corner boards for stats, the end line ribbons become unnecessary, don't they?

Go Zips!

42 minutes ago, Zip Watcher said:

I'm thinking the 2' x 13' ribbon boards are the ones in the image on the bottom of the smaller end boards.  The part that has the score in the rendering.

2' x 13' is pretty small for the endline space .. but it's not far off of what the rendering shows.

With the addition of the corner boards for stats, the end line ribbons become unnecessary, don't they?

Go Zips!

You are probably right. I was thinking that 2' high might be too small, so this makes more sense

1 hour ago, Zip Watcher said:

Go Zips!

That's what I was thinking. The new scoreboard is made of 4 panels and 2 ribbon boards. After looking around, the size is similar to what Ball State installed in 2015, ours will just be a tad bigger and like others have said it will look much bigger because of the small arena.

It would be nice if they could remove the outdated end line ribbons and add more seating, but I doubt there is enough room. 

Hopefully the additional upgrades are as impressive as the video board. 

LOVE the new video board. I wonder if someone from the University was able to get in touch with the person who designed the Q video board. This looks to be a miniature version, and a darn good lookin' one at that. 

I wonder if the ultimate plan IS to remove the end line ribbon boards, especially on the North end, and extend those seats all the way up?

The JAR has a formidable shell for a fun and electric college basketball environment. If this is the path they choose, renovating the JAR instead of going with a new arena, I'm all for it as long as it's done properly. With the Pro Football Hall of Fame project expanding to the new convention center, I don't think it would make sense for the city of Akron to build a multi-purpose arena. I like what I'm seeing so far, and I hope they keep it up! 

4 hours ago, akzipper said:

It would be nice if they could remove the outdated end line ribbons and add more seating, but I doubt there is enough room. 

Why? We only sell out 1 maybe 2 games a year. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to shrinking capacity by ~500 to add better amenities.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Why? We only sell out 1 maybe 2 games a year. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to shrinking capacity by ~500 to add better amenities.

It's not really about capacity, but rather adding more seats closer to the court and maybe encouraging more students to sit in that area. It would be nice to have two big blocks of seats behind the baskets. Most likely it would require some more extensive renovations and probably tearing out the track.

8 hours ago, Zip Watcher said:

Go Zips!

I hadn't noticed that in the rendering. It probably makes sense to get rid of the old ribbon boards.

16 hours ago, lilroodude said:

LOVE the new video board. I wonder if someone from the University was able to get in touch with the person who designed the Q video board. This looks to be a miniature version, and a darn good lookin' one at that. 

Boy I sure hope they leave room on the new scoreboard for "The DIFF".

God knows I wouldn't want to actually have to do any math..;)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, morris buttermaker said:

If they were looking for a place holder, James A. Rhodes Arena makes  sense to me.

people just stop.  It's literally concept art drawn up.  Probably by a company asked to do it by Athletics.  And to be honest, I'll take AKRON Arena over Infocision Stadium any day of the week.

19 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Not me.  Not when the difference is $20 Million Dollars.  

I will, I don't care about $20-million.  That's what Akron has to worry about.  Not me as a fan.  I'll take Cleveland Browns Stadium, Pittsburgh Three-Rivers Stadium, Rubber Bowl etc... Over whatever random corporation name that will be replaced in 6 years, any day of the week.

But its a moot point.  If I ever win the over $500-million mega-millions, in addition to pledging for a new basketball arena I'll buy the naming rights and give it to the Alumni to name.  ZipsNation arena has a ring to it :lol:

Edited by Balsy

18 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I like the ZipsNation Arena idea too !!

Hey,  I don't personally care for the corporate named stadiums either.  The problem is, there never would have been an Infocision Stadium without the donation from Infocision.  

Oh I understand that completely.  I guess It's really more an issue for Pro-teams, where the city owns the stadium...yet the owners of the team get the naming rights?  (That's the Bizarre one to me TBH).  But for Akron, we need to pay the bills I get it.