UA to Renovate the JAR

Blue & Gold

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I seem to remember a few things that might clear up some of the misconceptions about the actual construction.

1) The seating capacity wasn't reduced to do things to "honor Rhodes".  I believe it was all a matter of certain funds being made available to us if we incorporated more "educational features" into the design.  

2) I do recall some information that said that we rushed to start the project with what we had, and would have had more money if we were more patient.   Does anyone remember something about an additional funding source actually being approved after construction was already underway?

Thanks for the info skip-zip...

5 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

The REAL tragedy of naming the facility the Jame A. Rhodes arena was that the U had to work some superfluous areas of the arena into a set footprint for the building, to "honor" Rhodes, and that extra space/extra expenditure reduced what should have been a better arena into a mediocre one, right from the start.  Less seats, the indoor track, the use of bleachers upstairs....all because we needed more square footage for a lounge, offices, and lots of lobby that could have been placed elsewhere and alllowed a bettwe seating bowl, up and down.

To be fair though, isn't that par the course for buildings of that age?

2 hours ago, Balsy said:

To be fair though, isn't that par the course for buildings of that age?

Yeah it was...is.  And really it was unheard of back then to have corporate names and naming rights...most of the moolah was state and federal, with company's giving gifts but to the institution to use as seen fit, andnot as blatantly advertisement-oriented as today.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zip Watcher said:

Wasn't the money split up somehow to make a local representative happy .. and hence the existence of Ocasek Natatorium?

After the scoreboard, the renovation I'm most interested in is some new banners in the rafters with the words "Sweet 16" included.  The rest is just good money after bad, IMHO.

Thats how I remember things going down. Ocasek was the head of the education committee and promised to get the project approved but only if it included the natatorium. Rhodes approval was assured with the naming.

The natatorium was not part of the plan for the arena that became the JAR. The fault for the debacle that became the JAR lies strictly with Guzetta, the president and his chief advisors and board of trustees. They were not patient. They hired an incompetent architect, who had never deigned an arena. They did not work the legislature or strong arm the local representatives and senators to gain support. They panicked and took what the state offered rather than play the game and possibly wait for the next biennium if they did not get what they wanted (State capital budgeting, which includes state educational institutions had payment for capital projects budgeted over a two year period of time) Guzetta had a low opinion of the role of athletics in a state institution and he had no vision to see how this arena design would hurt the progrum.

Forget the fallacy that Gov Rhodes helped us or was honored by naming it after him. Neither was true. His name on the building was a political payoff to keep him from campaigning against it in the legislature.  

I was sports editor of the Buchtelite at the time and we ran a four installment series written by Mark Maloney outlining the present need, the future needs and what solutions could be available. Mark did a fabulous job. He got a meeting with Guzetta. When Mark saw the plans he told Guzetta not to build it. Mark laid out all the reasons we now cite for not commencing construction. He was regarded as an ignorant student who could not see the big picture. History shows otherwise.

Poor leadership can cripple an institution for a long time. The JAR and Ianello are perfect examples of that fact.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

The natatorium was not part of the plan for the arena that became the JAR. The fault for the debacle that became the JAR lies strictly with Guzetta, the president and his chief advisors and board of trustees. They were not patient. They hired an incompetent architect, who had never deigned an arena. They did not work the legislature or strong arm the local representatives and senators to gain support. They panicked and took what the state offered rather than play the game and possibly wait for the next biennium if they did not get what they wanted (State capital budgeting, which includes state educational institutions had payment for capital projects budgeted over a two year period of time) Guzetta had a low opinion of the role of athletics in a state institution and he had no vision to see how this arena design would hurt the progrum.

Forget the fallacy that Gov Rhodes helped us or was honored by naming it after him. Neither was true. His name on the building was a political payoff to keep him from campaigning against it in the legislature.  

I was sports editor of the Buchtelite at the time and we ran a four installment series written by Mark Maloney outlining the present need, the future needs and what solutions could be available. Mark did a fabulous job. He got a meeting with Guzetta. When Mark saw the plans he told Guzetta not to build it. Mark laid out all the reasons we now cite for not commencing construction. He was regarded as an ignorant student who could not see the big picture. History shows otherwise.

Poor leadership can cripple an institution for a long time. The JAR and Ianello are perfect examples of that fact.  

See?  I wasn't completely wrong!  :lol:

13 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Thanks for all that info 72 Roo, you're totally a guy I'd love to meet sometime.  Former Buchtelite Sports Editor to Former Buchtelite Sports Editor.  Seems like we also dealt with similar "eh, you're just a student...what do you know!?" kind of stuff.

I always, always, always harp on this on this forum...students on your campus are your best resource.  Why not tap that for making future decisions that regard their alma-mater.  It's very dumb.

On August 12, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Balsy said:

Thanks for all that info 72 Roo, you're totally a guy I'd love to meet sometime.  Former Buchtelite Sports Editor to Former Buchtelite Sports Editor.  Seems like we also dealt with similar "eh, you're just a student...what do you know!?" kind of stuff.

I always, always, always harp on this on this forum...students on your campus are your best resource.  Why not tap that for making future decisions that regard their alma-mater.  It's very dumb.

Balsy,

We old Buchtelite scribes need to share stories, experiences and achievements, real and imagined. I'd like to meet too. Let's PM each other when we can attend a football or soccer game where we can meet for a brew. I'm sure we can solve all Zip challenges in one or two beers :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

Balsy,

We old Buchtelite scribes need to share stories, experiences and achievements, real and imagined. I'd like to meet too. Let's PM each other when we can attend a football or soccer game where we can meet for a brew. I'm sure we can solve all Zip challenges in one or two beers :lol:

And if you two are buying, I'll stop by and write a personal interest article on you two for our first edition of our ZipsNation Sports Magazine/Webzine!!! :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Balsy,

Sounds like a plan haha

And if you two are buying, I'll stop by and write a personal interest article on you two for our first edition of our ZipsNation Sports Magazine/Webzine!!! 

Zips Voice, you are on! :thumb: We'll drink to the Zips and the new magazine/webzine.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

And if you two are buying, I'll stop by and write a personal interest article on you two for our first edition of our ZipsNation Sports Magazine/Webzine!!! 

Zips Voice, you are on! :thumb: We'll drink to the Zips and the new magazine/webzine.

Just out of curiosity,  How did you get access to the trademark "Zipsnation"?

15 hours ago, ZZZips said:

Just out of curiosity,  How did you get access to the trademark "Zipsnation"?

And I was just trying to be witty in my post....I have not, nor will I appropriate the trademark Zipsnation, which is really ZipsNation, two caps...for anything going henceforth...don't want to run afoul of the correctness issues...

7 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

And I was just trying to be witty in my post....I have not, nor will I appropriate the trademark Zipsnation, which is really ZipsNation, two caps...for anything going henceforth...don't want to run afoul of the correctness issues...

haha yes it was an ongoing joke about what we would do.  But honestly, if we were to publish an amateur fan-made publication I think we'd name it ZipsNation and forego a trademark.  Who's going to rip us off, the ABJ?  :rofl:  

For what it's worth it costs $69 to get a word trademark, from my limited research.

The large board is made up of individual panels that are about 2x2 squares. Those are matrixed together to create what ever size board you want. In theory you could make one large video board if you had the proper software and hardware drivers.

Edited by Hilltopper

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 1:32 PM, Hilltopper said:

The large board is made up of individual panels that are about 2x2 squares. Those are matrixed together to create what ever size board you want. In theory you could make one large video board if you had the proper software and hardware drivers.

...and run it through a Commodore 64.