UA to Renovate the JAR

Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

So, here's something to ponder this morning.

For those who already go to Zips Basketball games, this is a fantastic addition.  We'll all love it.  

But for people who don't have any interest in Zips Basketball, is this an attraction for them?  Probably not, if they never see it.  So, I'm hoping that they do some creative things to make a greater use out of it than just a video board during games.  Maybe have a movie night for kids and families, etc.   Also, if Zips Basketball itself is not the attraction for them, doing other things with the board during the game breaks and intermissions might persuade them to attend games for that additional entertainment outside of what is happening on the court.

We'll see.    

And draw attention from the enthralling on court entertainment like shooting contests and college students racing on hippity hop balls?  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Apparently the old amplifiers have not been turned off since they were installed 17 years ago. I'm not making this up! 

I'm not surprised. Back when I used to listen to FM radio, DJ's always said, "turn it up...and rip off the knob!":rock:

So, here's something to ponder this morning.

For those who already go to Zips Basketball games, this is a fantastic addition.  We'll all love it.  

But for people who don't have any interest in Zips Basketball, is this an attraction for them?  Probably not, if they never see it.  So, I'm hoping that they do some creative things to make a greater use out of it than just a video board during games.  Maybe have a movie night for kids and families, etc.   Also, if Zips Basketball itself is not the attraction for them, doing other things with the board during the game breaks and intermissions might persuade them to attend games for that additional entertainment outside of what is happening on the court.

We'll see.    

Simulcast horse racing...place your bets at the ticket window

Simulcast concerts

Simulcast Infocision football games in case of overflow crowds or inclement weather

MAC championship watch parties

Zips away games watch parties

Cavs/Indians/Browns watch parties

World Cup & Olympics watch parties

Video game competitions

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

They are also upgrading the sound system. New amplifiers. Apparently the old amplifiers have not been turned off since they were installed 17 years ago. I'm not making this up! No provision was made to power them down so they have been running the whole time. smh!

When I read this the first time, I thought you said the amps had not been turned ON since installed 17 years ago. Now that would have been funny.

19 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Simulcast horse racing...place your bets at the ticket window

Simulcast concerts

Simulcast Infocision football games in case of overflow crowds or inclement weather

MAC championship watch parties

Zips away games watch parties

Cavs/Indians/Browns watch parties

World Cup & Olympics watch parties

Video game competitions

Responses to the bold in order...

1) "Overflow crowds" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2) I like that idea, but only if Akron is in the game. You could also expand this to include March Madness watch parties.

3) I like it.

4) I had originally thought this as well, but then a choke job in the ALDS ended the dreams this year. :tomato::(:puke:

5) A lot of World Cup excitement went out the window when the USMNT failed to qualify. :tomato:

6) That would have a huge draw I think.

I have a great idea for the video board.

Use it to enhance my experience in the JAR.

That's what it's for.

I'm happy about it.  I could care less about what anybody who doesn't care about Zips Basketball thinks about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'm hoping that they do some creative things to make a greater use out of it than just a video board during games.  Maybe have a movie night for kids and families, etc. 

So a college tasked with education should use its basketball arena to compete with Regal Cinema? Mom can take the kid to a movie theater to see a movie.

I'll be ecstatic if I can look somewhere in the arena and see a simple graphic showing player points/rebounds/assists. What a day that will be if it ever happens. 

Maybe so.  But, I sure hope they made the investment to try to attract more fans.  If they utilize it properly, it might help.  

Skip,

It's a great scoreboard and all, but it's hardly the 8th Wonder of the world.  Anyone who would come just to see the scoreboard is liable to be disappointed.

Did ticket sales increase dramatically for the MAC Tournament after they installed the new scoreboard at the Q?

Edited by K92

33 minutes ago, K92 said:

Skip,

It's a great scoreboard and all, but it's hardly the 8th Wonder of the world.  Anyone who would come just to see the scoreboard is liable to be disappointed.

Did ticket sales increase dramatically for the MAC Tournament after they installed the new scoreboard at the Q?

That's exactly my point.  They are going to have to be a little more creative.  But as a basic premise, people who have otherwise been uninterested in Zips Basketball aren't going to become interested because they have a new scoreboard.  

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

So a college tasked with education should use its basketball arena to compete with Regal Cinema?

We've been doing it in the Football Stadium for years.  So, it's really nothing new.  

No, it wouldn't compete with Regal Cinema, because it would be free.  I've seen a few other potential ideas posted too.  

Maybe so.  But, I sure hope they made the investment to try to attract more fans.  If they utilize it properly, it might help.  

The addition is to make those who now come, continue to come, simple as that.  The new scoreboard at Canal Park didn't add any new fans, just made current fans happier to keep coming back, and maybe word of mouth spreaf good news about the experience.  Doubt The U had to sell it to trustees it would add butts in seats.

11 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

We've been doing it in the Football Stadium for years.  So, it's really nothing new.  

How's that working out?  Maybe we should send out door-to-door invites to Joe Akron to try the Zippy cutout cookies.

How much would 5000 dozen cookies cost?

4 minutes ago, K92 said:

Maybe we should send out door-to-door invites to Joe Akron to try the Zippy cutout cookies.

If you think of some of the efforts that have cost us 10's of thousands of dollars, and done nothing to change fan interest, your idea might not be as crazy as you may have thought.    

I think watch parties for NCAA tournament, bowl games, or MAC championship games Akron makes would be terrific ideas. If they can rent it out to bring in some side money by hosting concerts, video game tournaments, or whatever I'm fine with that too. They either haven't tried renting it out or there just hasn't been a demand for it.

Edited by kreed5120

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I think watch parties for NCAA tournament, bowl games, or MAC championship games Akron makes would be terrific ideas. If they can rent it out to offset some costs for concerts, video game tournaments, or whatever I'm fine with that too. They either haven't tried renting it out or there just hasn't been a demand for it.

I'm sure the new video screen will have unbelievable clarity, compared to the old one.  In the past, that could have limited some of these other possible uses you mention.

22 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I think watch parties for NCAA tournament, bowl games, or MAC championship games Akron makes would be terrific ideas. If they can rent it out to bring in some side money by hosting concerts, video game tournaments, or whatever I'm fine with that too. They either haven't tried renting it out or there just hasn't been a demand for it.

The Q watch parties always draw big crowds. Even better, they raise money for charities. This is something I can support. If the Zips make it to a bowl or NCAA tournament game, this is the way to go. Maybe charge a few bucks for admission that can go to a charity and maybe UA gets to keep money from concessions and souvenirs? Fans will be donating to a good cause and supporting the Zips. I don't see people paying UA to just sit in the JAR and watch TV. There has to be more incentive.

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'm sure Mr. Babby would be happy to hear your scientific finding of "zero new fans"

I didn't say zero skip, and can you prove to me that it did?  I'm a season ticket holder,, have been since Day 1, and I saw no increase in attendance at any game after the new board was installed.  So maybe not scientific evidence, but definitely casual observance, unless you have some data to prove me wrong.

ADDED - Sorry skip, didn't mean to come off confrontational, just that my point is they retained customers, had repeat customers coming back, it was not a selling point to add new customers, and I think it did that, but my section behind 3rd base is just as half full now as it was a few years ago with the old videoboard...except for fireworks nights!

Edited by ZipsVoice