UA to Renovate the JAR

Blue & Gold

On 11/7/2017 at 12:57 PM, lilroodude said:

Well now there definitely isn't a need for fans to bring their own halogen bulbs...

When is that wall getting torn down and floor-to-rafters seating being added? 

Wonder if they have something planned for that wall? Hopefully something better than just painting it navy and leaving it blank. I think the "floor-to-rafters" would be a great option, and probably easy enough. If I remember correctly that is just a long hallway used for storage behind there. Cut out enough of that wall and build up the stands. Re-route foot traffic from the track to behind the seats. 

20 hours ago, akzipper said:

Wonder if they have something planned for that wall? Hopefully something better than just painting it navy and leaving it blank. I think the "floor-to-rafters" would be a great option, and probably easy enough. If I remember correctly that is just a long hallway used for storage behind there. Cut out enough of that wall and build up the stands. Re-route foot traffic from the track to behind the seats. 

You are thinking of the north end of the floor which has storage areas and a hallway behind the wall.  The wall in the picture is at the south end.  Behind the south end wall currently are concessions stands and the team shop.

7 hours ago, ZZZips said:

You are thinking of the north end of the floor which has storage areas and a hallway behind the wall.  The wall in the picture is at the south end.  Behind the south end wall currently are concessions stands and the team shop.

You're right, good call. Guess that side would be a lot tougher to renovate than I thought.

• 1 month later...

I have not followed this thread much at all, considering my distance from the JAR or any threoretical new arena.  However, I thought you all would like to read the word from the top.  The folks who run the ZipsNation Twitter account have started a blog, and their first entry is a conversation with President Matt Wilson.  Here is the entire blog entry to read.

http://zipsnation.blogspot.com/2017/12/recently-we-interviewed-president.html

Most significant for this Zips Nation thread however, is the response to a question about "building a new arena..."  Short and sweet answer from the CEO:  "We recently just raised money to support a $1.8 million scoreboard, sound system, and experience in the JAR.  If you haven’t stopped by, you need to check it out.  We are working to raise money to renovate the JAR and invite our alums and supporters to help out.  Together, we can create a special space that will serve students for decades to come." 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

I have not followed this thread much at all, considering my distance from the JAR or any threoretical new arena.  However, I thought you all would like to read the word from the top.  The folks who run the ZipsNation Twitter account have started a blog, and their first entry is a conversation with President Matt Wilson.  Here is the entire blog entry to read.

http://zipsnation.blogspot.com/2017/12/recently-we-interviewed-president.html

Most significant for this Zips Nation thread however, is the response to a question about "building a new arena..."  Short and sweet answer from the CEO:  "We recently just raised money to support a $1.8 million scoreboard, sound system, and experience in the JAR.  If you haven’t stopped by, you need to check it out.  We are working to raise money to renovate the JAR and invite our alums and supporters to help out.  Together, we can create a special space that will serve students for decades to come." 

Translation-  no new arena.

I'm ok with keeping the JAR. However, all bleachers need to be replaced with chair backs. Additionally, the track needs to be removed and we need to have floor-to-rafters seating, maybe even some seating in the corners. The concourse needs redone as well.

I like the idea of renovating the JAR if it's done properly. Arena uniqueness is fading across the sports landscape, with most new arenas using the same or similar blueprints. Not saying the JAR is a destination, iconic arena like Freedom Hall, Hinckley Fieldhouse, or Cameron Indoor, but it does have some classic characteristics.

Lipstick on a pig? Maybe. But it isn't helpless.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2017 at 12:09 PM, lilroodude said:

I'm ok with keeping the JAR. However, all bleachers need to be replaced with chair backs. Additionally, the track needs to be removed and we need to have floor-to-rafters seating, maybe even some seating in the corners. The concourse needs redone as well.

I like the idea of renovating the JAR if it's done properly. Arena uniqueness is fading across the sports landscape, with most new arenas using the same or similar blueprints. Not saying the JAR is a destination, iconic arena like Freedom Hall, Hinckley Fieldhouse, or Cameron Indoor, but it does have some classic characteristics.

Lipstick on a pig? Maybe. But it isn't helpless.

Coming soon, according to "unnamed sources"....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2017 at 12:41 PM, Joe Akron said:

Coming soon, according to "unnamed sources"....

Don’t hold yr breath on further JAR renovations.

All the big money pledges have been taken off the board.  Donors frustrated with lack of leadership & development.

Do not have a clue how to present & sell a plan.

7 hours ago, Zip44 said:

All the big money pledges have been taken off the board.  Donors frustrated with lack of leadership & development.

That's too bad. The plans I saw looked interesting. It would have been a nice upgrade.

7 hours ago, Zip44 said:

This surprises me with Prez. Wilson & Athletic Director Larry Williams.  It's pretty roundly agreed that we hit a home run with President Wilson, and Larry has always presented himself and the UA extremely well whenever I've seen him interviewed.  Could the problem partly go back to long-time, big-money donors still upset that UA let Dambrot get away?

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

This surprises me with Prez. Wilson & Athletic Director Larry Williams.  It's pretty roundly agreed that we hit a home run with President Wilson, and Larry has always presented himself and the UA extremely well whenever I've seen him interviewed.  Could the problem partly go back to long-time, big-money donors still upset that UA let Dambrot get away?

I previously saw plans for the renovated JAR.  Then last week I was in a discussion with someone in the development department and brought up those plans.  That person quickly moved on to something else which I thought was odd at the time.   Really doubt it has anything to do with the coaching change.  We exchanged one good coach for another, and I don't think that's how multi-million dollar donors think.  When you give enough money that allows you to name an arena or building, you probably figure there will be a few coaching changes over the next 100 years.

• Like 3