What Can WE Do

I thought I'd attempt to take something out of the individual sports categories and bring it here for separate discussion.....

I've been on my Soapbox lately about elevating our status, and I've framed it in this manner...

1) We need more money... a lot more money.

2) In order to get more money, we need more supporters.

We are a small group, but what can WE do to help. I am talking about us here on THIS site.

Let me start the discussion, and share a couple of recent observations:

1) I LOVE the new pre-game basketball video where it says that Akron is OUR city. This is Akron's team. I think this is the right approach, and a good starting point to focus on encouraging our local people, right here in Akron, to support the LOCAL team.

2) I LOVE a few of the more recent merchandise additions for our YOUNG fans, and how people have been using them. Those of you who take your kids to the games dressed in Zippy Ears, cheerleading outfits, etc., get my utmost respect. This is how we bring our kids up right, and increase our chances of making more lifelong Zips fans instead of joining the larger group that wants to wear Red and Silver.

3) The "A" and "Akron" that have been used for so long was replaced by the "Roo Head" and "Fear The Roo" (which became successful on a national level) to keep our merchandising fresh and creative. As we venture into the "Z" era we accomplish much of the same. This increases sales and increases the exposure of our brand.

Hopefully I have started the ball rolling...........We need money to grow, and we need more supporters, so what thoughts do people have about how we.....as individuals.....can help. Please, lets come up with things that don't involve "different leadership", or "just win more games". I want this to be about US and what we can do to help. Lets face it, we all likely became fans during a climate of success that's not much different than what we have right now. And WE became fans. Big fans. So, how do we get others to do the same?

• Like 1

One thing I can think of is to call local establishments and ask them if they'll have the Zips game on (whenever it's televised streaming etc)...and than show up in force to that place would be something we can do to get the local community to start to support the Zips.

I also think we need to create as a fanbase an atmosphere that makes students to be involved with it. I don't know how to do that necessarily though...

One thing I can think of is to call local establishments and ask them if they'll have the Zips game on (whenever it's televised streaming etc)...and than show up in force to that place would be something we can do to get the local community to start to support the Zips.

If we could get a few dozen people to participate in something like this, at the very least, we'd show the people who attend that bar that "it's cool to be a Zips fan". That could go a long way. I think this is a great example of something that could help.

For example, I've been to many of the basketball gatherings at Johnny J's. When there is a good group, I think everyone else in the bar HAS to be saying to themselves, "Wow...look at all these Zips fans".

I work for a private small university and I frequently get the following question from HS seniors and their parents: "Why shall I pay more $ to go to a smaller school with less features?"

The answer is: you will be a number in a big school, you will be a student here.

So, along the same lines, if we can't win like the big schools, let's at least give our fans the personal experience and respect to make them feel that they are friends of the programs and not numbers. Here a few examples:

1 - The whole Lot 9 tailgating issue and our Athletic department acting as if tailgaters are stampeding in front of the stadium and that we can turn away a few thousands of them.

2 - Back in my days as an AK-Rowdy, Caleb used to bring his team at the end of each win to jump around with the rowdies and sing "I believe". KD and the basketball team used to run straight into the tunnel without even looking at the rowdies. (This may have changed recently, or so I hope).

3 - Requiring Rowdies to have a wrist band and a certain shirt to sit on the lower level seats (I also am not sure if that is still the case)

4 - Organizing fan outings not only to make $ (like banquets and golf outings) but also to get them connected and build a strong fan base. This includes bus trips and travel arrangements to away games.

1. Not just post ideas to ZN.o hoping that the AD and others read them, but e-mail or talk to the AD, coaches , and others with our ideas. I don't mean rant and rave at them. For example, tailgating seems to be an issue for a number of ZN.o members. How many have e-mailed the AD with the suggestion that Lot 9 should be established as a tailgate lot for anyone who wants to tailgate. If someone is not interested in tailgating, ask them if they would accept Lot 10 or Lot 8 or some other lot.

2. The Soccer team still celebrates wins with the Rowdies, whatever number of them show up. Perhaps we should let the other coaches know that this is important to the fans. KD once said he'd invite fans into the locker room if that would get them to come to games. If interaction with the students and fans helps get people to attend games, I would think any coach and player would take the time to interact. I stick around after soccer games to talk with the players. They appreciate that I support them and in return they're happy to talk with me or take a picture with me, etc. It's hard after a loss because I don't really know what to say to them. I just try to let them know how much I appreciate that they chose to play for Akron. Perhaps I should do this for football, too. Do the players take the time to talk with fans when they go back across to the Field House? Is it possible to catch the basketball players after games? With soccer, the players have to head back over the the endzone facility to shower & change. So, It's relatively easy to catch them quickly after a match, but it seems we'd have to wait for sometime to talk with the basketball and football players. At any rate, I do appreciate all of our student athletes. I think we should all take every opportunity we can just to let them know how much we appreciate and support them.

The Soccer team still celebrates wins with the Rowdies, whatever number of them show up. Perhaps we should let the other coaches know that this is important to the fans. KD once said he'd invite fans into the locker room if that would get them to come to games.

Do the players take the time to talk with fans when they go back across to the Field House?

I'm loving all of the feedback so far.

On these two items here (highlighted above), I remember that we did "I believe" with the football team after the Pitt game at Heinz field. So, I think there is at least some awareness that the fans want to do this with players in other sports. I've often stayed late enough after basketball games to hear the students doing this with the players. I don't know if it happens all the time, but it happens.

On your second point, I have waited with many other people behind the fieldhouse when football players are walking back to the locker room. Many of them acknowledge the fans, and many of them also stop to talk. Interesting Story: My nephew's parents are typical OSU Honks. However, I brought him to an Akron game once, got him down on the field, and got his picture taken with Zack D. by the fieldhouse after the game. He talked about it forever according to his parents, and it made me chuckle knowing that they are Suckeye fans. I think I may have converted the kid before it's too late!!!

So, for all of you, I would suggest taking your kids out behind the fieldhouse after the games. Meeting players, I think, is a great way to get your children to feel loyalty for the Zips at an early age.

2 - Back in my days as an AK-Rowdy, Caleb used to bring his team at the end of each win to jump around with the rowdies and sing "I believe". KD and the basketball team used to run straight into the tunnel without even looking at the rowdies. (This may have changed recently, or so I hope).

3 - Requiring Rowdies to have a wrist band and a certain shirt to sit on the lower level seats (I also am not sure if that is still the case)

KD still doesn't do it. But the Lady Zips did whenever they won, even at the MAC Championship Tournament.

As for 3, I don't like that. It alienates some students who'd attend the game but don't have some BS membership in the "club". There's limited time to sign up at the begining of the year and, despite being able to sign up if you contact the Rowdies, most don't know that. The Rowdies have always been rather disorganized IMO. A rule like this is going to leave the bottom empty more often than not. It should be a focus to fill it first.

BTW, I've made some awesome friendships just by taking a few moments to talk with soccer players and their families at home and on the road. I stay in touch with the Trapps, Barsons, Caldwells, and Yedlins/Waltons. When I went to Portland last season, I saw Michael Nanchoff after the game, and he was really grateful to see me. He said they all love it when they see Zips fans/alum at their matches in Portland or on the road. Clint Caso, Adam Najem, and Victor Souto are several players with whom I hope to stay in touch in the future.

I would say for me this is a huge highlight of being a Zips fan and Akron alumnus. There are less of us; so, I think it's easier to get to know our players and their families with a little effort just letting them know we care. Scott Caldwell's father once told me that his other kids played at other universities, and he never encountered people anywhere else who cared as much as at Akron.

So, on these last two posts, are you both saying that getting to meet and form bonds with players would increase our fanbase? It seems that you might both be referring to the fans that already attend.

If students have these interactions during their school years, do you think that would help them form more permanent bonds that might prevent them from becoming Suckeye fans once school is over?

I've already mentioned how much I think these athlete interactions impact the very young fans, but I am not sure how much it impacts a college student. I feel like, a lot of times, older people on the outside of our usual fan base tend to find it humorous that us "regulars" know the names of players, and give us somewhat of a "none of those guys are going anywhere" attitude, as if it's silly to think so highly of athletes who have no chance of playing in the NFL or NBA.

If you went to Charleston to watch the basketball team you got to experience many of the things you talk about Skip. There was a group of a couple of hundred fans who had a great time interacting with the players, coaches and most importantly the other fans. Hanging out in the team hotel there were ample opportunities to interact with the players and their families. At any game,if you are willing to wait around until the players leave the locker the room I'm sure they would be glad to sign autographs and take photos . The same would be true for road games too.

If students have these interactions during their school years, do you think that would help them form more permanent bonds that might prevent them from becoming Suckeye fans once school is over?

Perhaps. Problem is that some of the players they might form bonds with are OSU fans themselves. Sad but true.

If you went to Charleston to watch the basketball team you got to experience many of the things you talk about Skip. There was a group of a couple of hundred fans who had a great time interacting with the players, coaches and most importantly the other fans. Hanging out in the team hotel there were ample opportunities to interact with the players and their families. At any game,if you are willing to wait around until the players leave the locker the room I'm sure they would be glad to sign autographs and take photos . The same would be true for road games too.

Yes, I've done it many, many times myself. That's not the question. I'm wondering how we take this accessibility and use it to attract more supporters (the topic).

Yes, I've done it many, many times myself. That's not the question. I'm wondering how we take this accessibility and use it to attract more supporters (the topic).

That's a good question skip-zip. Are potential fans only interested in meeting and talking to student athletes that have a real chance of going pro some day? The soccer players/families I listed only include those in the pros in that I've not found a way to maintain relationships with those who are not. I attend Crew games, so I see the Trapps and Barsons there and keep in touch. I've visitied DeAndre's family in Arizona and gone to preseason games there and have been to Seattle to see a Sounders game as well as seeing DeAndre and family in Columbus when they played there. Same is true for the Caldwells in Columbus and Foxboro. I try to stay in touch with Robbie Dershang, Eric Stevenson, Bryan Gallego, Dillon Serna and others through twitter, and want to do the same with Clint Caso, but would others have any interest? I don't know.

I'm excited to go to the Zips Mens Basketball game vs Western Michigan tomorrow to see some of our former Mens Soccer players, many of whom now play professionally. As far as I can tell, this has not been well advertised by the Ath Dept, even on GoZips.com. If the UoA Ath Dept advertised on/in local media that MLS fans have the opportunity to meet MLS players who played at Akron (with $10 GA tickets), would that draw additional fans to tomorrow's game? We'll never know because I haven't seen this mentioned outside GoZips.com. If it has been, can someone point me to the place that it is advertised?

ABJ has a story on the soccer promo at the basketball game. Also the other day I got a pop-up ad for the promotion but can't remember what site it was on -- may have been ohio.com.

Thanks Dave. Happy to read that the promo is at least in the ABJ. I got the pop up the other day on GoZips.com. It no longer does that.

EDIT:

“We’re flying a lot of those guys in,” UA men’s basketball coach Keith Dambrot said. “It’s good for Jared and with my son [Robby] on the team, I’m going to support soccer like mad. It’s a great deal for Akron.”

Thanks KD. One of the reasons why I have continually said I like KD and support him. [i just want a little more from him (NCAA Tourney win) and for him (new downtown arena).]

Hey Guys,

Just to get this back on topic........

What do all of you think about what Balsy says in Post #2, and my response in Post #3?

Would some of you be interested in find a place to get a few dozen people together to watch a Zips game? Maybe a different location each game for several televised upcoming basketball games?

Please read those two posts and see if you agree about how this can really turn into something that lets the community know that "Zips fans are out here". As an added benefit, I think it would also help some of us continue to meet each other, and I also think it could collectively energize all of us to campaign for more Zips followers out in the community.

Hey Guys,

What do all of you think about what Balsy says in Post #2, and my response in Post #3?

Would some of you be interested in find a place to get a few dozen people together to watch a Zips game? Maybe a different location each game for several televised upcoming basketball games?

Please read those two posts and see if you agree about how this can really turn into something that lets the community know that "Zips fans are out here". As an added benefit, I think it would also help some of us continue to meet each other, and I also think it could collectively energize all of us to campaign for more Zips followers out in the community.

I would do it if I lived closer. It's a 40 minute drive one way for me. I really like travelling over there only for 'live' events, not televised. Sorry.

Hey Guys,

I would come out and join other fans for some of the road games.

Thanks Dave. Happy to read that the promo is at least in the ABJ. I got the pop up the other day on GoZips.com. It no longer does that.

EDIT:

“We’re flying a lot of those guys in,” UA men’s basketball coach Keith Dambrot said. “It’s good for Jared and with my son [Robby] on the team, I’m going to support soccer like mad. It’s a great deal for Akron.”

Thanks KD. One of the reasons why I have continually said I like KD and support him. [i just want a little more from him (NCAA Tourney win) and for him (new downtown arena).]

I think its an awesome idea. Bummed that Yedlin won't be able to make it, but still should be nice nonetheless.

sidenote: we can afford to do this, but not a flight to state college?

BTW, I've made some awesome friendships just by taking a few moments to talk with soccer players and their families at home and on the road. I stay in touch with the Trapps, Barsons, Caldwells, and Yedlins/Waltons. When I went to Portland last season, I saw Michael Nanchoff after the game, and he was really grateful to see me. He said they all love it when they see Zips fans/alum at their matches in Portland or on the road. Clint Caso, Adam Najem, and Victor Souto are several players with whom I hope to stay in touch in the future.

I would say for me this is a huge highlight of being a Zips fan and Akron alumnus. There are less of us; so, I think it's easier to get to know our players and their families with a little effort just letting them know we care. Scott Caldwell's father once told me that his other kids played at other universities, and he never encountered people anywhere else who cared as much as at Akron.

If interest in this type of thing is widespread amongst Zips fans, there is opportunity to get to know and become friends with the families of football players during tailgating. As just one example, we all had a great time with Nico Caponi's family during his time as a Zip. Bad part is that you miss 'em when their time is over. The Switzers and the Rossis will certainly be missed next year. Good people.

• Like 1

If interest in this type of thing is widespread amongst Zips fans, there is opportunity to get to know and become friends with the families of football players during tailgating. As just one example, we all had a great time with Nico Caponi's family during his time as a Zip. Bad part is that you miss 'em when their time is over. The Switzers and the Rossis will certainly be missed next year. Good people.

I think I commented on his post already, but since you brought it up again.....yes...I think that many of us have benefitted from this type of environment tremendously. Most people probably never get these kinds of opportunities at other place.

But the question is, how do we take this accessibility and turn it into a benefit to attract more fans?

These are the kinds of things I thought we'd see by starting a thread like this. You know how everyone says that players will venture to mid-major schools rather than high major schools for the opportunity to play earlier? Why can't the access that fans have to players also be a similar benefit that you get by being a FAN at a mid major school like Akron.

I think I commented on his post already, but since you brought it up again.....yes...I think that many of us have benefitted from this type of environment tremendously. Most people probably never get these kinds of opportunities at other place.

But the question is, how do we take this accessibility and turn it into a benefit to attract more fans?

These are the kinds of things I thought we'd see by starting a thread like this. You know how everyone says that players will venture to mid-major schools rather than high major schools for the opportunity to play earlier? Why can't the access that fans have to players also be a similar benefit that you get by being a FAN at a mid major school like Akron.

I guess we need a list of prospective alumni recruits and we need to start making appointments to come into these people's homes to sell them on Zips fandom. What kind of a budget do you think UA will give us to get this ball rolling? :)

Agreed skip. I think it starts with us alumni and our interactions with the community, other people and current students. To bring this thread BACK to it's purpose...WHAT CAN WE DO engage/encourage new fans of the Zips.