Lady Zips @ Toledo

Balsy

The Lady Zips are continuing their very successful season on Wednesday when they take on the Toledo Rockets. Hopefully they can bring home a win (unlike the men)!

Zips are happily sitting at 12-2 on the season, 2-1 in the MAC, leading the MAC East at the moment. Toledo is sitting at 9-5 on the season, 2-1 in the MAC.

The two biggest problems that I've seen from the ladies' game is eeriely similar to the men's. The Zips will go through long scoring spells, and miss a lot of threes. This team is extremely successful when the 3s land, but struggle when they are not. Zips struggled mightily against BGSU, and they were only shooting about 3-13 in the 3pt shots; vs EMU a Zips win did not seem in question throughout the game, the Zips were shooting 8-15 behind the arc.

Anything to offer on the Lady Zips?

They're a young team. They just have to take the better shots. If it's not a good shot, don't take it(unless there's under 5 seconds on the shot clock.That shot may have to happen then).

With so many new faces, they need to learn what it takes to win in the MAC. They're starting to figure that out. This is a year where I expect them to have some ups and downs still, but we'll see. Lots of schools that you wouldn't normally see be good are solid this season. Then teams that are down like BG who just lost to K.e.n.t.

I watched a lot of this game on my phone while the men's game was on the computer. The ladies could have sealed it but missed a ton of free throws in the last minute, including two with about 12 seconds left which gave Toledo and opportunity to win it. Zips battled hard on defense and Toledo missed a shot with 2 seconds left. Zips had also battled back from being down ten in the second half. Heck of a game.

• Like 1

Great comeback for the win! Did anyone else notice the attendance figure for the game? 3,117 at Savage. (They average 3,604). We only had 3,313 at the JAR that night for the BGSU game. As far as the great foul shooting that I've touted/enjoyed in recent years, that seems to have disappeared. The men are shooting better at 68.5% versus 66.1%. The women only made 10 of 18 in the last 2 1/2 minutes, including missing the front end of 2 1-and-1's and 2 with 12 seconds left that would have at least increased the lead to 3. They need to get that figured out soon or it will come back to bite them in future games, especially on the road.

Great comeback for the win! Did anyone else notice the attendance figure for the game? 3,117 at Savage. We only had 3,313 at the JAR that night for the BGSU game. As far as the great foul shooting that I've touted/enjoyed in recent years, that seems to have disappeared. The men are shooting better at 68.5% versus 66.1%. The women only made 10 of 18 in the last 2 1/2 minutes, including the front end of 2 1-and-1's and 2 with 12 seconds left that would have at least increased the lead to 3. They need to get that figured out soon or it will come back to bite them in future games, especially on the road.

Agreed. And with time, the women's team will fix that. When you have four student-athletes that at this time last season, were still playing high school basketball, it's going to take time in some areas for them to get better. For example, free throw/field goal shooting and defense(getting used to the quicker speed). Sina, Hannah, and Anita missing some crucial free throws down the stretch concerned me a bit, but they'll get that fixed.

Agreed. And with time, the women's team will fix that. When you have four student-athletes that at this time last season, were still playing high school basketball, it's going to take time in some areas for them to get better. For example, free throw/field goal shooting and defense(getting used to the quicker speed). Sina, Hannah, and Anita missing some crucial free throws down the stretch concerned me a bit, but they'll get that fixed.

I was wondering if McMahan struggled in FT shooting as much in high school, but I couldn't find her stats. She's at 46% now. Her shooting form looks fine, but they don't go in. Unfortunately, Barilla hasn't been much better. Gotta have a PG that can make FTs.

I was wondering if McMahan struggled in FT shooting as much in high school, but I couldn't find her stats. She's at 46% now. Her shooting form looks fine, but they don't go in. Unfortunately, Barilla hasn't been much better. Gotta have a PG that can make FTs.

I think if Kest has to come up with something, she can always move Plybon to that PG position down the stretch. I like Plybon on the wing but if she has to play PG, she can do it. I expected her to play more PG thinking it would take McMahan longer than it has for her to transition to DI college level of play. I like Barilla and McMahan sharing the PG load, and I think at least one of them will get better at the FTs. I expect both of them to get better at them.