WOW (Good Luck Bucks) #TeamOhio

K92

Come to think of it, maybe you're actually on to a possible solution to create more parity. Less opportunities for the "larger programs" to stockpile money.

All that really needs to happen is that an equal number of home and road games is enforced. No more 8-home 4-away schedules. The fact that it's not 6-and-6 with a 12-game schedule is stupid.

• Like 1

Long time listener, first time caller here. This whole thing boils down to marketing, and it's what we NEED to be doing!

The number of college football fans in Ohio equals 100%. For simplicity, let's say that's 1 million people.

Of that 100% in Ohio, 75% of them are Ohio State fans - and you will NEVER change that.

Another 10% are Michigan fans., and you'll never change that.

That means 85% of the CFB fans in Ohio are either OSU or Michigan fans. That leaves 15% of the CFB fans in Ohio to be divided up between Akron, Can't, BGSU, etc etc.

So if we are to EVER GROW our fan base, we MUST SHARE in the 75% of OSU fans and accept that we will be the #2 option. If we don't, we are likely to be the next UAB. Once we reach a point where our fan base has grown enough to properly sustain us, then we can start cutting out the OSU love. Until then, if a guy wants to pay the school for a suite at Infocision Stadium to watch an OSU game while Akron is playing, then go freaking buckeyes, your money is still good here.

There is no "solution" because there is no problem. The only ones with the problem are those who are being left out.

Until there's a drive of a higher level of integrity in education (IE getting rid of the "we aint come to play school" types), than this problem will never be a problem.

Really, until our culture decides that education is actually more important than entertainment, it'll never change.

The NCAA should act as a governing body and create an even playing field for all division one FBS participants. Unfortunately money runs the "even playing field." It is patently absurd that at least half of all division one FBS football programs are systematically excluded from any legitimate chance at competing for a national championship.

Only 20 or so athletic departments are actually in the black. It is disgusting that these institutions have created a system where other athletic departments are relegated to incurring absurd amounts of debt merely to keep competing.

Not only do these profiteers manipulate this system toward the destuction of its participants, but they use it to justify their prominence as well as the inadequacy of their competitors. It is sick and dishonest beyond words.

An honest field of competition would place all conference champions in the playoffs, just like the NFL. Champions should be decided through honest competition between true student athletes, not the bottom line.

#WeH8OhioSt8

Champions should be decided through honest competition between true student athletes, not the bottom line.

I love your post. But Sir, true students athletes "ain't come to play school"....apparently. That's today's acceptable "student athlete" (at least at Team Ohio's central campus location in Cowlumbus), whether we like it or not.

At this point, a "level playing field" would force the money machines to adhere to compliance, and also make sacrifices. And as long as those schools are the ones making the money for college athletics as a whole, how can we even imagine a time where anyone in control would ever want to change it?

• Like 1

Perhaps force their hand? The majority of schools losing money far outnumbers those that make money. Let the 20 profiteers play one another all year. That might be pretty boring?

Maybe the professional leagues should be permitted to start drafting athletes out of high school? Pretty absurd that these "power conference" profiteers are permitted to interfere with a person's right to earn a living.

Idk. I don't have all the answers. Like most posters on this board, I just want the best for my alma mater and it is sickening to me when our school's athletic department starts posting white flags of surrender on its social media page. Perhaps we can start wishing Can't good luck during the battle for the wagon wheel on our social media?

Very disheartening. Just felt compelled to post on the issue. Akron can do far better. Akron is a great city with an excellent university and that is something to take pride in. Congratulating an opponent after defeat is fine and good sportsmanship. If our football team competed in a bowl game against ohio state u and lost to them, posting a congratulatory comment on social media would certainly be acceptable. However, actively advertising an in state opponent and rival that we have not competed against this season is beyond absurd in my opinion.

I was watching an interview with Herbstreit last week where he said he didn't think 85 scholarships was not enough not that two teams are going to have to play 15 games. I have always thought one of the answers was to actually reduce the scholarships to 65 per Div 1 school. That would even the playing field pretty quickly across the board.

Very disheartening. Just felt compelled to post on the issue. Akron can do far better. Akron is a great city with an excellent university and that is something to take pride in. Congratulating an opponent after defeat is fine and good sportsmanship. If our football team competed in a bowl game against ohio state u and lost to them, posting a congratulatory comment on social media would certainly be acceptable. However, actively advertising an in state opponent and rival that we have not competed against this season is beyond absurd in my opinion.

This was how I saw it too. I don't have a problem with displaying good sportsmanship. But that can easily be accomplished with "congratulations" or "nice game", after the fact. But, telling a competitor that you want them to go out and win a trophy and bring it back for all of us in the same State to enjoy, and indicating that we are "all on the same team"? That's completely unacceptable to me. Especially when it's a competitor that has a great impact on your ability to compete.

Let me give you an example in the business world. If you were a medium sized tire manufacturer in Akron, would you tell the much larger tire manufacturer in Akron who you compete against to "go out and sell a HUGE amount of tires today, and when you get recognized for the accomplishment, bring back the award and let us all celebrate together, because we are both in the same city"????? Of course not.

I was watching an interview with Herbstreit last week where he said he didn't think 85 scholarships was not enough not that two teams are going to have to play 15 games. I have always thought one of the answers was to actually reduce the scholarships to 65 per Div 1 school. That would even the playing field pretty quickly across the board.

Big Zip, there's been a reduction in the D-1A level before, from 95 to 85. It does prevent some of the "stockpiling" of talent at the top end, and does push some better players further back in the pool of schools. Further reductions would also continue to help the teams at the lower end with money issues by having to pay out a lower amount of scholarships. Who knows how much it really has an effect on "leveling the playing field". I don't know how you measure that, but it seems that upsets of non-major conferences vs. power conferences have seemed to increase. I believe all of our wins that fall in that category (NC State, Syracuse and Pitt) have all happened since the reduction also.

There's certainly better methods out there to level the playing field. Dave in Green recently made an excellent post about adopting some of the things that the Pro leagues have done to create parity, such as imposing luxury taxes, etc.

Boise State and TCU didn't sit around with their thumbs up their butt, whining about an "even playing field." They got better. They hired great people. Odd concept.

Amen to that.

They also didn't go out of their way to promote the University of Oregon, Oregon State, Baylor, or the University of Texas-Austin football programs. Being a winner starts with competing like we have a chip on our shoulder. That is, we openly welcome the challenge of potentially toppling OSU. We also should not concede to them just because it is a way for us to partially share in their moment of glory. We need to create our own moments of glory. That social media appeal by our athletics department and president demonstrates a desperate and pathetic attention-whoring mindset.

If you are a recruit, do you get excited to hear that the goal is to be at the top of the MAC or by knowing the ultimate goal is to topple a giant like OSU? It's the difference between the approaches of Keith Dambrot and Caleb Porter. Sure, the starting points of the programs were different but the mentality should be very similar. Winning the MAC was one of many goals Caleb Porter set.

For any sport, if you don't strive to be the best among your peers, why bother competing? "OSU is not our peer, and the deck is stacked against us." If that is the mentality then move back to 1-AA or shut down the football program. No more vacilating at 1-A if we aren't there to compete with the best.

A popular quote from the movie, The Rock, seems appropriate here.

Long time listener, first time caller here. This whole thing boils down to marketing, and it's what we NEED to be doing!

The number of college football fans in Ohio equals 100%. For simplicity, let's say that's 1 million people.

Of that 100% in Ohio, 75% of them are Ohio State fans - and you will NEVER change that.

Another 10% are Michigan fans., and you'll never change that.

That means 85% of the CFB fans in Ohio are either OSU or Michigan fans. That leaves 15% of the CFB fans in Ohio to be divided up between Akron, Can't, BGSU, etc etc.

So if we are to EVER GROW our fan base, we MUST SHARE in the 75% of OSU fans and accept that we will be the #2 option. If we don't, we are likely to be the next UAB. Once we reach a point where our fan base has grown enough to properly sustain us, then we can start cutting out the OSU love. Until then, if a guy wants to pay the school for a suite at Infocision Stadium to watch an OSU game while Akron is playing, then go freaking buckeyes, your money is still good here.

I completely disagree. Cincy has carved out a decent niche in its area of the state and that started with its own alumni and growing its local fan base. They were in-your-face about calling out the bandwagon OSU fans. That is exactly the approach we need. Could someone please find and post the ad where they did that?

You mention these primary OSU fans and secondary Zip fans. The only one I know of is Buckzip, and he has good reason. My own family members who are Zip alums are also universal OSU zombies with no loyalty or appreciation for their own school. Changing the culture starts right there, but conceding to OSU via social media only reinforces the problem and encourages the behavior.

The fans who follow the Zips and are members of ZNO are diehards! We are also the ones in attendance at games, not primary OSU fans who sometimes follow the Zips. Those supporters are non-existent. If ZNO'ers are upset about the media post, who will be left to support our programs?

• Like 1

I completely disagree. Cincy has carved out a decent niche in its area of the state and that started with its own alumni and growing its local fan base. They were in-your-face about calling out the bandwagon OSU fans. That is exactly the approach we need.

Trimmy.....Excellent, excellent post !!

I can take this a step further. The people at blOSU admit that they are now the ones who cannot gain support in the SW corner of Ohio. How's that for turning the tables?? People need to start paying attention to what is going on down there. They've done radio ads that mock the Suckeyes when they have been ranked ahead of them in football. They wear shirts that say "bUCkeye State", with the "UC" part being the Cincinnati logo. You HAVE to treat them like competition.

I read a post in the Facebook disaster on Monday that said something like, "the person who had fans turning in blOSU t-shirts for Akron t-shirts must have gotten a new job". THAT's the kind of approach we need.

I completely disagree. Cincy has carved out a decent niche in its area of the state and that started with its own alumni and growing its local fan base. They were in-your-face about calling out the bandwagon OSU fans. That is exactly the approach we need. Could someone please find and post the ad where they did that?

I know I posted those Cincinnati radio ads somewhere, but I can't seem to find them. NIU did something similar (CK posted about it here). Zips marketing needs some BALLS like other MAC schools have demonstrated.

Northern_Illinois_Gas_Station_ESPN.jpeg

I can take this a step further. The people at blOSU admit that they are now the ones who cannot gain support in the SW corner of Ohio. How's that for turning the tables?? People need to start paying attention to what is going on down there. They've done radio ads that mock the Suckeyes when they have been ranked ahead of them in football. They wear shirts that say "bUCkeye State", with the "UC" part being the Cincinnati logo. You HAVE to treat them like competition.

I read a post in the Facebook disaster on Monday that said something like, "the person who had fans turning in blOSU t-shirts for Akron t-shirts must have gotten a new job". THAT's the kind of approach we need.

Don't forget that Cincy also has Louisville and UK to compete with and each are less than 90 minutes away with Louisville being a top 10 program in football AND basketball. We don't have that handicap. In fact, we have one of America's top 25 largest cities only 45 minutes away, and it does not feature a D-1A university. We should own Cleveland!

I think that what ZippyMan is saying is that, at this point in time, if we draw a line in the sand, no one will be Zips fans. Joe Akron will stick with the Buckeyes.

I loathe OSU, but I don't let all of my friends in on that, because they've been raised OSU fans & have been their whole lives & if I draw a line in the sand with them they're going to stick on OSU's side. And why shouldn't they - they've been OSU fans their whole lives, and OSU is fun to root for - unlike the Zips. Makes me sick, but people love to associate with a winner. I'm a long-suffering Zips fan, but there aren't too many people who are willing to go through the suffering that we on ZN.O are willing to bear.

But I digress. The UA Athletics Department officially endorsing Ohio State was a true kick in the balls to long-suffering and loyal Zips fans.

• Like 1

I know I posted those Cincinnati radio ads somewhere, but I can't seem to find them. NIU did something similar (CK posted about it here). Zips marketing needs some BALLS like other MAC schools have demonstrated.

Northern_Illinois_Gas_Station_ESPN.jpeg

NIU is another great example. They are starting to own Chicago and all of Illinois in general. At least that is the perception from Ohio, and afterall, isnt that what it is all about: perception? Athletics is about promoting the presence and stature of the university.

Unfortunately for all UA alumni, the athletics department and president admitted that OSU's degrees are superior to ours. UA is apparently a place for students who weren't good enough to get into OSU.

I was accepted at both schools and CHOSE UA, and I am sure there are many others who were as well.

Couple things to add to this conversation:

A ) I know they play less minutes per quarter, but most states across the country could have high school teams playing anywhere from 10-15 games per season.

B ) Get rid of TWO non-conference game. So that you have 10+1 Still have two to help(or hurt) the RPI for your conference. Sorry, but I don't think you can base THIS season's results based on the year before. There's just too much turnover in these programs(draft, graduation, eligibility, etc).

C ) I think 14 or 16 teams is too much. I think it waters it down a bit. In my opinion, it should be conference champions only. That's how you get in, and it's the only way you get in. I think eight teams is enough. Three weeks of playoffs plus a ten game regular season + championship game would be a 15 game season for only the national championship teams.

D ) The only way a team gets in that isn't a conference champion is if an independent(Notre Dame, BYU, etc) has a 10-0 or 9-1 record and better RPI than THREE of the champions of the Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, SEC, and PAC-12. Obviously, that would bump out a "mid-major", but that's why I made the stipulations I proposed. It's very hard to happen, and it would be better for Army and BYU to just join a conference. However, Notre Dame will be stubborn with their NBC contract. That way it gives the "little guys" a chance, but only the ones that could give a legit chance to win in the playoffs.

The "bUCkeye State" thing is brilliant! Hopefully the person who came up with that got a raise and a promotion.

Don't forget that Cincy also has Louisville and UK to compete with and each are less than 90 minutes away with Louisville being a top 10 program in football AND basketball. We don't have that handicap. In fact, we have one of America's top 25 largest cities only 45 minutes away, and it does not feature a D-1A university. We should own Cleveland!

I did just recently acknowledge that there is certainly a Louisville and Kentucky presence in SW Ohio also. That certain ads to the challenge that blOSU faces in gaining support there. But that still didn't prevent Cincinnati's fan base from growing. It's amazing.

I did just recently acknowledge that there is certainly a Louisville and Kentucky presence in SW Ohio also. That certain ads to the challenge that blOSU faces in gaining support there. But that still didn't prevent Cincinnati's fan base from growing. It's amazing.

I was referencing their presence as a challenge to Cincy, not OSU. If there were a vacuum of Cincy fans, the southwestern part of the state would undoubtedly be gobbled up by OSU, not Louisville or UK. However, if a fan wants a OSU alternative, the Kentucky schools are there for the taking. UA doesn't have that interstate handicap.

Found them. Ten Cincinnati Bearcat Radio promo Ads.

This is how you market if you want fans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't (former interim Akron AD) Mike Waddell involved in these ads when he was in Cincinnati?

We should be attacking the competition with a can of gas and a match, not daisies and candy. Come on YouTube Tom!!!

1209_1254955032.jpg

More of this:

zip_buck.png

Found them. Ten Cincinnati Bearcat Radio promo Ads.

This is how you market if you want fans.

Those aren't UC ads though. Those are WLW ads. The radio station was hyping the team that they broadcast. I guess 1350 could do the same thing but it would be like a tree falling in the woods.

Secondly, Cincinnati Bearcats football was an OSU alternative that could be sold with a straight face. Akron Zips football is not in that position. If/when the Zips become an entertaining, winning, relevant program I would hope to see better promotion. Right now, there is nothing to sell and we all have personal experience that tells us bringing in potential Zip fans to watch bad football is counterproductive.

Before we get the cart ahead of the horse what needs to be promoted is SCHOOL PRIDE within the student body.

My $.02

Yes, Cincinnati is a great example of a school with a huge donor base due to it's success in a major basketball conference. That success trickled over to football. The exposure from the Big East put Cincinnati on the map football wise. Akron doesn't have that benefit.