WOW (Good Luck Bucks) #TeamOhio

K92

Those aren't UC ads though. Those are WLW ads. The radio station was hyping the team that they broadcast.

Keener. I'm sure that UC was paying the radio station to run those ads, just like we'd be paying for our ads to promote our games. I can't see another scenario, and it might be a part of the game package. But directly or indirectly, UC has to be paying for that airtime.

I hate this and the Buckeyes as much as everyone else here, but I am not going to make a fuss about this. Akron's athletic program is at a low point right now.

Soccer attendance in 2014 was the worst it has ever been at the remodeled stadium.

Football team's attendance was horrible and so was the performance on the field.

The basketball team continues to struggle to attract fans to that awful JAR and the best player on the team got himself kicked off the team.

The revenues are down. The fan support is down.

Ohio State on the other hand, things couldn't be better.

Akron's Facebook post got a lot of likes by a lot of Akronites that forgot UA had an athletics program. UA reminded them that they exist and wants to be a part of the bandwagon.

Being an Akron fan, it sucks watching that. But I can't blame UA for doing it.

I hate this and the Buckeyes as much as everyone else here, but I am not going to make a fuss about this. Akron's athletic program is at a low point right now.

Soccer attendance in 2014 was the worst it has ever been at the remodeled stadium.

Football team's attendance was horrible and so was the performance on the field.

The basketball team continues to struggle to attract fans to that awful JAR and the best player on the team got himself kicked off the team.

The revenues are down. The fan support is down.

Ohio State on the other hand, things couldn't be better.

Akron's Facebook post got a lot of likes by a lot of Akronites that forgot UA had an athletics program. UA reminded them that they exist and wants to be a part of the bandwagon.

Being an Akron fan, it sucks watching that. But I can't blame UA for doing it.

Regardless of the relative state of the athletics programs, we should not be openly conceding our support to OSU.

Boise State and TCU didn't sit around with their thumbs up their butt, whining about an "even playing field." They got better. They hired great people. Odd concept.

TCU did it the old-fashioned way -- TCU spends more on college football than any other team in Texas. You know, the stuff that UA doesn't have a lot of. Putting it in canine terms, there are schools with chihuahua athletic budgets and schools with pit bull athletic budgets. Now chihuahuas may run around behind a fence and yap a lot. But throw a chihuahua into a ring full of pit bulls and it gets torn to shreds.

UA's football program lives on a chihuahua budget compared to pit bulls like TCU and tOSU. UA's football budget is already primarily built on student fees to a higher degree than most other programs, so there's no more juice to be squeezed out of that dried up fruit. Given similar resources, some athletic teams will invariably rise to the top and perform better than others. That's the nature of pure athletic competition. Given widely varying resources, the gap between the top and the bottom will increase exponentially.

Those aren't UC ads though. Those are WLW ads. The radio station was hyping the team that they broadcast. I guess 1350 could do the same thing but it would be like a tree falling in the woods.

Secondly, Cincinnati Bearcats football was an OSU alternative that could be sold with a straight face. Akron Zips football is not in that position. If/when the Zips become an entertaining, winning, relevant program I would hope to see better promotion. Right now, there is nothing to sell and we all have personal experience that tells us bringing in potential Zip fans to watch bad football is counterproductive.

Before we get the cart ahead of the horse what needs to be promoted is SCHOOL PRIDE within the student body AND ALUMNI.

My $.02

EDIT: I sure miss Caleb Porter giving UA alumni wearing blOSU garb the business.

• Like 1

Those aren't UC ads though. Those are WLW ads. The radio station was hyping the team that they broadcast. I guess 1350 could do the same thing but it would be like a tree falling in the woods.

Secondly, Cincinnati Bearcats football was an OSU alternative that could be sold with a straight face. Akron Zips football is not in that position. If/when the Zips become an entertaining, winning, relevant program I would hope to see better promotion. Right now, there is nothing to sell and we all have personal experience that tells us bringing in potential Zip fans to watch bad football is counterproductive.

Before we get the cart ahead of the horse what needs to be promoted is SCHOOL PRIDE within the student body.

My $.02

I intended to qualify the current state of the football program as not worthy of attention. However, is there any reason we couldn't call them out publicly in men's basketball? KD consistently says big programs won't play us because we are too good and have the potential to create an upset. We should make OSU the offer to be on upcoming schedules. If they decline, call them out on it publicly via advertisements. As I see it, this is a win-win for us.

I intended to qualify the current state of the football program as not worthy of attention. However, is there any reason we couldn't call them out publicly in men's basketball? KD consistently says big programs won't play us because we are too good and have the potential to create an upset. We should make OSU the offer to be on upcoming schedules. If they decline, call them out on it publicly via advertisements. As I see it, this is a win-win for us.

We have offered. The problem as I understand it is they offer to play us 1 game at the Q for 2 games at the Schottenstein Center. It's hard to complain about that when the JAR sucks, but I agree with not taking them up on that offer. perhaps 1 at the Q for 1 at blOSU but not 1 for 2 where we never have home court.

We have offered. The problem as I understand it is they offer to play us 1 game at the Q for 2 games at the Schottenstein Center. It's hard to complain about that when the JAR sucks, but I agree with not taking them up on that offer. perhaps 1 at the Q for 1 at blOSU but not 1 for 2 where we never have home court.

If a tri-series, nothing short of one at OSU, one at home, and one at the Q is acceptable. Call them out on it. Bring it up on the sports talk radio shows. Have the coaches openly discuss this on their radio shows. Make a billboard. Do something, do anything antagonistic but certainly don't lay there and take it.

That's bascially how I took it as well: UA athletics raising the white flag. Perhaps it's the most pragmatic approach, but it still sickens me.

The most pragmatic approach is to stay quiet until all the OSU hoopla blows over and in early February start hyping the MACC basketball in NEO. Draw attention to our National Champion pole vaulter and future Olympian. Advertise the rifle team's top 15 stature and incredibly tough schedule. Advertise excellence where it exists!

Post the soccer team's all-time record against OSU on huge billboards in Akron, Cleveland, and Columbus! It's something like 24-6-4! (If someone has the exact record, please share.)

The most pragmatic approach is to stay quiet until all the OSU hoopla blows over and in early February start hyping the MACC basketball in NEO. Draw attention to our National Champion pole vaulter and future Olympian. Advertise the rifle team's top 15 stature and incredibly tough schedule. Advertise excellence where it exists!

Post the soccer team's all-time record against OSU on huge billboards in Akron, Cleveland, and Columbus! It's something like 24-6-4! (If someone has the exact record, please share.)

You have the right thought process. There are many things we have that are superior to them, and we need to talk about them. For instance, their 50 or so NCAA violations per year ABSOLUTELY BLOWS US OUT OF THE WATER!!! :rofl:

The Honks will all go away now until August. Their basketball team already has 4 losses, and an RPI in the 50s. They won't latch onto that. In fact, this could possibly be a start of a bad basketball run for them in the coming years, with 3 Senior starters on a team that's already struggling a bit. This could soon present another opportunity for us.

Well, I guess you certainly could, but massive throngs of die-hard, red and silver bleeding Bucknuts aren't even aware that OSU even plays basketball. Their fandom hinges on one sport.

You have the right thought process. There are many things we have that are superior to them, and we need to talk about them. For instance, their 50 or so NCAA violations per year ABSOLUTELY BLOWS US OUT OF THE WATER!!! :rofl:

The Honks will all go away now until August. Their basketball team already has 4 losses, and an RPI in the 50s. They won't latch onto that. In fact, this could possibly be a start of a bad basketball run for them in the coming years, with 3 Senior starters on a team that's already struggling a bit. This could soon present another opportunity for us.

Put a big picture of John Heisman on a billboard with a Zips logo that says, "Last time the playing field was level....University of Akron Zips 6, Ohio State University Buckeyes 0"

Why the hell don't we do this kind of stuff? Some media outlet will pick it up and run with it. That's all we need. Get people talking, make them aware!

General question to ZNO: what's the worst thing that an advertisement can be?

I disagree, my tankard-toting friend. You sell Mike Waddell too short. He was instrumental in creating them.

In light of newly discovered evidence, I hereby retract my first statement of post #99 of this thread.

Well, I guess you certainly could, but massive throngs of die-hard, red and silver bleeding Bucknuts aren't even aware that OSU even plays basketball. Their fandom hinges on one sport.

Do you remember the last time their basketball team was doing well? I do. Bucknuts are crazy for football AND basketball. The university administration is also fond of both because at the national level, they are huge revenue sports.

I have family members who are UA alumni who were just at the OSU-Michigan basketball game a couple nights ago continuing the love fest from football season. It's disgusting.

If a tri-series, nothing short of one at OSU, one at home, and one at the Q is acceptable. Call them out on it. Bring it up on the sports talk radio shows. Have the coaches openly discuss this on their radio shows. Make a billboard. Do something, do anything antagonistic but certainly don't lay there and take it.

Why not find out which exempt tournament they play at the beginning of the season, and find a way to get in?

Put a big picture of John Heisman on a billboard with a Zips logo that says, "Last time the playing field was level....University of Akron Zips 6, Ohio Statue University Buckeyes 0"

Why the hell don't we do this kind of stuff? Some media outlet will pick it up and run with it. That's all we need. Get people talking, make them aware!

General question to ZNO: what's the worst thing that an advertisement can be?

I love your thinking, Trimmy !!

This reminds me of the TCU team a few years ago that won a BCS bowl game over Wisconsin, and blOSU's former President called them out and said they played a "Sister's of the Poor" schedule (actually, their SOS that year was similar to blOSU's).

This is what the idiots in Columbus got to see on their highway billboards afterwards.

tcubillboard1.jpg