BG @ Akron.... Buckle up, it's Orr no more

The Hip Zip

I suppose we should all be thankful that BG let Coach Louis Orr hang around as long as they did. He spent 7 seasons there and I can't recall him ever beating Akron at all, certainly not in the last 5 years . Now, with new coach Chris Jans at the helm this is a much improved BG team that comes to the JAR tonight at 10-3. Jans was an assistant coach under Greg Marshall at Wichita State and it appears that he has brought the Shockers winning mentality to BG. The Falcons feature 6'8" Richaun Holmes and he's a load with no real weaknesses in his game. He's a potential match up nightmare.

In a wide open MAC East ,where I would suppose that only Miami could be considered in way over their heads, this is a very important game for Akron. This year, more than ever, the key to a top or high seed could consist of a recipe of taking care of business at home and going .500 on the road.

Vegas has opened the line at Akron minus one and a half. A line that IMO is giving the Zips and our home floor very little respect. We need to get this one.

I'm sure the fact that this is being called a pretty even game in Vegas probably has everything to do with our last performance. Actually, I think it's quite fortunate for us to get a road game against maybe the best team in the league out of the way now....and move forward.

On a side note....Although I've never been one to compare one game to another to another with common opponents, I felt like the Miami (FL) blowout win over Duke last night took a little bit of the sting out of our worst loss of the season against the Hurricanes.

Does anyone have 2 tickets available in the lower chair back section to sell? I'm thinking about attending the game tonight with my son but I'm not sure if I want to sit upstairs on those hard bleachers. I'd rather my son enjoy the experience and want to come back. If you have tickets, message me a price. Thanks.

Interesting. We shoot 54% from the field, despite missing 17 3-point shots. I think that tells you how well we played in the paint tonight.

And 8 blocked shots. Who thought this group would ever be recording blocks like this.

Right now, I guess we have to be fine with playing well at home. Hopefully the rest takes care of itself soon. I think if we win on Sat. at home, we have a great shot to get to 20 wins. Who would have thought that after we lost Tree?

BG started the game with a lot of defensive intensity and the Zips had several turnovers and seemed to be a little lethargic and lost. Time for a shot of energy. Deji entered the game at 15:30 of the first half with the score tied 7-7. At 9:21 Deji scored on a dunk to cap his 13-point explosion over 6:09, as the Zips outscored BG 17-4 for a 24-11 lead. During that 6:09, Deji also had 2 of his 3 steals and an assist. BG would never recover.

Except for the lethargic start, there was a lot to like tonight. The Zips played great defense, with Pat being especially effective (with help from Kwan) in limiting Richaun Holmes to just 10 points. Deji and the other guards were also good at guarding against the long ball, with BG hitting only 20% of their 3s. Aside from a few lazy passes that resulted in turnovers, I thought the passing game showed a lot of improvement tonight with many long pinpoint passes as the players are becoming more familiar with each other. The Zips also handled the press really well when Noah was on the floor, but struggled a little with Antino at the point. I expect Noah to help teach Antino how to avoid the traps that true freshmen PGs typically have trouble with early in their college careers.

As a team the Zips had 8 blocked shots tonight. They're averaging about 5 blocks per game, which puts them among the top 50 teams in the country. For perspective, in Zeke's senior season the team averaged 5.7 blocks per season. Stat of the night is 84%. Anyone who can't guess what category that stat came in is forgiven because it's not what anyone would expect. That 84% is what the Zips averaged on 2-point field goal shooting. They hit 16-19 of their shots inside the arc, led by Pat's 5-5. I guess that's a sign that the Zips could do pretty well if they shot a higher percentage of 2-point to 3-point shots.

I am just as shocked tonight as I was against Western. Didn't see that coming at all!

Now, as hard as I am on the students behind the hoop, it was nice to see them there tonight with some energy. I will say though...I thought is was pretty crappy of them to say at the end of the anthem.... ".... and the home of the ZIPS." Not cool. (and my daughter asked me why Zippy was dancing during the anthem and not standing still.)

Still a small crowd (lots of empty blue seats) but it seemed like there was a little more energy tonight.

And.... No "TERRIBLE"s from the standing walk man guy in the corner...but he did start the "Z-I-P-S" cheer!

Very well played game by UA tonight. Every night it is someone else contributing. Who would have thought that UA could ever win a game by 20 when Jake and Reggie combine for 6 points.

Great team win. KD has put together a great team. Young, but still very good. Not his most talented, but the WMU and BGSU wins were the best they've looked as a team in a long time. I keep saying team but really it's the best way to describe the efforts. Tremendous ball movement and movement away from the ball.. Great rotation and help defense. And lots of hustle. That was a lot of fun to watch.

I am just as shocked tonight as I was against Western. Didn't see that coming at all!

Now, as hard as I am on the students behind the hoop, it was nice to see them there tonight with some energy. I will say though...I thought is was pretty crappy of them to say at the end of the anthem.... ".... and the home of the ZIPS." Not cool. (and my daughter asked me why Zippy was dancing during the anthem and not standing still.)

Still a small crowd (lots of empty blue seats) but it seemed like there was a little more energy tonight.

And.... No "TERRIBLE"s from the standing walk man guy in the corner...but he did start the "Z-I-P-S" cheer!

Very well played game by UA tonight. Every night it is someone else contributing. Who would have thought that UA could ever win a game by 20 when Jake and Reggie combine for 6 points.

yeah....that walkman guy is in my section. he bothers me. he'll turnaround and yell the opposing teams record or the bio of a player. I know he isn't talking to me but its annoying when he shouts it as I'm trying to watch the game.

• Like 1

Best game to date-defense was awesome. The accolades for Deji,Pat and Robo are well deserved, but (to all the KD detractors) major credit goes to the coach for a brilliant defensive plan. The double team completely took Holmes out of the game and as KD said post-game, he is not a great passer,so their offense just bogged down when he got the ball. Also,the pressure on their guards made them use up most of the shot clock and forced them to take ill-advised shots, More than anything this was a veteran coach completely outcoaching a newcomer.

On a side note,Reggie just doesn't seem to be a part of the game plan-he is immediately sent to the corner,then rotates to the opposite corner and seldom gets the ball-he seems lost-I wish they would find a way to get him worked into the offense so he could get hisi confidence back.