CMU @ Zips 1-17-15

Dr Z

Central Michigan (12-2, 2-1 MAC) at Akron (11-5, 2-1 MAC)

Saturday, January 17, 2015 • 7:00 p.m. ET
James A. Rhodes Arena (5,500)
Akron, Ohio
Television: None.
Webcast and Live Stats: Available at GoZips.com – webcast and live statistics free of charge.
Radio: Akron-IMG Sports Network – SportsRadio 1350 AM (WARF) in Akron (flagship) and for free at GoZips.com/TuneIn. Steve French (play-by-play) and Joe Dunn (analyst) will have the call beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET.

Zips favored by 5. Through the KD years, if you ignore the matchup and just look at the spread, this is his wheelhouse game. Chips are atop most offensive categories except rebounding, they are near the bottom of all defensive categories. Pound the boards and win.

CMU is totally committed to the 3 point shot.

You could say the Zips are committed as well, since they have attempted more threes than the Chips. The Chips are more efficient.

It's hard for me to figure out this CMU team offensively. I know how they play, but I see them scoring 100 or more against some inferior competition, but then score 60 at Toledo. I have a feeling that they are just running up the score on some teams that don't play defense. That won't happen tonight. But, they still beat Toledo on the road and we got spanked.

At the very least, I expect some good entertainment. And I really believe that this type of game is the key to getting us to 20 wins. Which will certainly be a great feat after the loss of Treadwell.

As I've mentioned before, the Zips really need to hold serve at home since true road games are shaping up to be particularly challenging this year.

Neither WMU nor BGSU have guards who handle ball pressure very well. CMU is a different animal with Fowler (#15) and Simmons (#4) both having excellent assist-to-turnover ratios. Several Chips can shoot the three, but Simons (#34 - 51.4%) and Kozinski (#12 - 45.6%) are especially lethal.

This is the game where FT shooting and late game decisions will be paramount. I think Noah and company are up to the challenge:

Zips 76

Chips 74

Dr Z, I really like having these game threads start off with the basics as you did on this one. Another good thing to have up front for those who might be interested is a link to the statistical comparison of the Zips vs. their opponent. I'll add a link to the statsheet.com comparison of the teams to save everyone a little time:

Zips vs. Chips Stats

Just looking at the numbers the Chips look downright scary. They're actually #1 in the country in points per possession (1.26) ahead of Notre Dame and Gonzaga, and #2 in both points per game (85.9) and true shooting percentage (62.9%). The giant grain of salt is the fact that their SOS is #344, down in the cellar with Liberty and Houston Baptist. In other words, they've fattened their offensive stats on some of the highest calorie cupcakes in the country. Still, the Zips can't take any team lightly that came so close to beating Toledo.

CMU starts 3 juniors, 1 sophomore and 1 freshman with 1 senior, 2 juniors and 2 freshmen also averaging double-digit minutes. Sizewise overall their backcourt averages a little taller and their frontcourt a little shorter than the Zips. As others have already mentioned, tight defense and disciplined offense will be keys for the Zips. It's tempting when playing a run-and-gun team to fall into the trap of playing their game instead of your own. Shooting is fun and defense is hard work. Zips have to wear their hard hats tonight and make CMU play Zips ball.

Still, the Zips can't take any team lightly that came so close to beating Toledo.

Dave, Love all of your research, but you are wrong on possibly the most significant recent fact about CMU. They actually beat Toledo in Toledo.

And even more shocking to me is that they did it while only scoring in the 60s.

Dave, Love all of your research, but you are wrong on possibly the most significant recent fact about CMU. They actually beat Toledo in Toledo.

And even more shocking to me is that they did it while only scoring in the 60s.

Duh. That's what happens when you get in too much of a hurry. I'll go back and correct that.

Looking forward to a basketball double header today. I somehow won 2 floor tix to the Duquense vs VCU game playing where the Penguins play hockey with overnight accommodations at the Cambria suites that is connected. Game starts at 2 and they are supposed to give us Duquense merchandise as well when we get to our seats. After the game we will head back to Akron to watch the zips. Expecting a good game in the nightcap and looking at the records the first game it could be a blowout.

I somehow won 2 floor tix to the Duquense vs VCU game playing where the Penguins play hockey with overnight accommodations at the Cambria suites that is connected.

I didn't realize Duquense played at Consol Energy Center. Been there a few times. Great venue. Great area. The Zips should jump on the opportunity to schedule there. Game is on CBS sports network (channel 221) if anyone is interested in watching. Duquesne is a fourteen point underdog.

I didn't realize Duquense played at Consol Energy Center. Been there a few times. Great venue. Great area. The Zips should jump on the opportunity to schedule there. Game is on CBS sports network (channel 221) if anyone is interested in watching. Duquesne is a fourteen point underdog.

I want to say they play about half of their home games there. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we'd be a big enough game to schedule at Consol instead of the Palumbo Center

Interesting stat I learned today:

Since 1997 the Zips are 129-137 when playing against a team with a winning record.

Gosh, I wonder who would think to put together a stat like that? :lol: Anyway, those numbers would include the Dan Hipsher years during which he coached the Zips to a 112-137 record when playing against teams with both winning and losing records. Thankfully that memory has faded over the past decade.

Anyway, those numbers would include the Dan Hipsher years during which he coached the Zips to a 112-137 record when playing against teams with both winning and losing records. Thankfully that memory has faded over the past decade.

Right. I wonder what that number is just for the Dambrot era.

Not sure where to find it. Maybe Dr Z can help. Would be quite a task to go back game-by-game over 10 seasons and see what the records were for each team at the time the Zips played them.

Like I said, I read that this morning, I didn't calculate it While I love my Zips, I'm not willing to manually put together a stat like that. Not my passion. If I ever run across it, I'll post. I would guess it's not far off the original 129-137 stat since the majority of games belong to Dambrot.