A Shot at Another Run Next Season?

UAZip0510

(Disclaimer: I am NOT saying this team cannot win the MAC, nor am I saying they cannot make an NCAA Tournament run this year.)

Next year's Zips team is shaking out to be potentially a really special group. Our last two shots at making an NCAA Tournament run have been hijacked - once by Doug Penno, the second time by off-court issues. Is it possible the third time is the charm?

We'll have a nice group of big men. Pat Forsythe will anchor the team down low as a senior, with Isaiah Johnson hopefully getting into better shape and continuing to develop. Kwan Cheatham has the potential to be the team's best player (he reminds me of a better version of Chris McKnight). While they may redshirt, Peter Agba and Emmanuel Olojapoke could contribute as true freshmen if needed.

We'll have a nice group of wings. BJ Gladden continues to look better and better and could start. Jake Kretzer will contribute "the little things" and provide outside shooting, as will Regiie McAdams. Aaron Jackson will bring a ton of energy and athleticism and could end up starting as well, although Dambrot might prefer to use him as a spark Quincy Diggs-style.

The backcourt is what I'm most excited about. Robotham will continue to grow this season and could pair with Josh Williams, a Mr. Ohio Basketball candidate, to form the most dynamic backcourt in the conference. Antino Jackson will continue to get better and hopefully add a bit more bulk, and we'll get to see what Jimond Ivy can do.

Overall, this team will be able to do a little bit of everything. I think they're good enough to make a run this year. I think they'l be good enough to dominate the MAC next year. It could be opportunity #3 to finally get that elusive NCAA Tournament run.

• Like 1

I agree. This team has the making to be something special. I feel different about this team. I know I'm a younger zips fan here, but I don't remember seeing a Zips team with really good chemistry. Even the 2013 Miracle team went through long droughts of just not working well together at all. This team really seems to click IMO. Something we really, really lacked last year.

If there's one thing I've learned since becoming a zips fan, it's that next year is never promised. We've had multiple "next years" that were going to be special only to be ruined by suspensions or transfers or whatnot. This team can do some damage this year, I'm enjoying watching them now.

So you all missed my disclaimer in the very first sentence in bold? Lol.

To repeat - I never said this year's team won't be special. I think they win the MAC and possibly a 1st Round NCAA game. I just look at next year and think that team could be REALLY special, like Sweet 16 kind of special.

If you don't want to look that far ahead, why not just ignore this thread clearly labeled as discussing next season?

It's hard to get into next season while in the middle of this one. But it is intriguing to think of the possibilities. Zips lose Deji and Nyles, who've played increasingly important roles this season. But we should have 9 players back who are currently in the rotation, and all will have an extra season of experience developing their own games plus working together. That's a mighty impressive lineup right there. Any contributions from incoming players Josh, Jimmond, Peter and Emmanuel could help raise the Zips another notch. Since we're losing two shooting guards from the rotation, Josh and Jimmond will get big opportunities to fill that hole.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to bump this because this group already has me excited for next season. Losing Deji's leadership and defense will hurt and losing Nyles' veteran presence in the backcourt will be tough but we will have the players to be a much better team next season. This is my new, updated guess on what we'll see (assuming Noah is ready to go day one):

F-Cheatham/Agba

F-Kretzer/Gladden/Jackson

C-Forsythe/Johnson

G-Williams/McAdams/Ivey

G-Robotham/Jackson/Walters

Redshirt - Olojapoke

I know there will be those in favor of starting both Antino and Noah, but I don't think KD will go that way. If they both start you're relying on Josh Williams to run backup point guard, and I think they view him as a little more of a 2 on this team. I also look at what KD has done with Middleton, Diggs, Deji, and a few others and think he like's an energy guy off the bench 5-6 minutes into the game. I do think Antino and Noah will play a lot together and may even finish games together, I just don't think they both start.

I'm excited to see what Pat Forsythe will do as a senior. I am amazed at how much better he played this season and how he stepped up when we lost Tree. He's developed some nice post moves and could have a really great senior season.

I'm hoping Pat being back to full health will open up the inside/outside game a little more for Jake and Reggie. They've both been great Zips and I'd love to see them go out with a championship. I'd like to see Reggie try to evolve his game a bit more and take more mid-range jumpers. He's an outstanding shooter and I'd like higher percentage shots from him.

Big Dog needs to try to work on his conditioning, although I'm not sure it's realistic for a drastic change. His biggest issues are finishing around the rim and avoiding frustration fouls, which should both improve with experience.

Kwan needs to develop his inside game a little more. I appreciate that he can shoot from deep, but he doesn't take advantage of his size and length nearly enough. I think he ran out of gas toward the end of the year and I expect him to be one of the most improved going into next year.

BJ Gladden, Aaron Jackson, Peter Agba, and Jimond Ivey are the wild cards. I honestly expected bigger things from BJ this year, but he might not fully break out until next season. Aaron plays with great energy, but he has too many in front of him on the depth chart. You can tell by Ivey's Twitter feed that he's a confident young man, but it'll be a crowded backcourt to get PT with. Finally, Peter Agba. The coaches are really high on this kid and he could be an impact player off of the bench immediately. Adding another big to the rotation will be great for this team.

As for the coaches, I hope they take some time and spend it with their families. It's been a tough year for KD, losing Dan Peters and his father having medical issues - I hope he at least takes a little time away before he starts the grind back up for 2015-2016. I hope the entire coaching staff does as well - they deserve it.

Overall, I'm incredibly excited for next year. This is a high character bunch in the mold of KD's early teams. I'd even go as far as to say I think we beat Buffalo and Central Michigan if we are playing on equal rest. We weren't, of course, and UB and CMU both earned that rest by taking care of business during the regular season, but the hits this team took and how close they STILL came to another championship game goes to show you how talented this team really is.

Here's to each of our players working hard this offseason, staying healthy, and getting back to The Dance in 2016!

I'm going to bump this because this group already has me excited for next season. Losing Deji's leadership and defense will hurt and losing Nyles' veteran presence in the backcourt will be tough but we will have the players to be a much better team next season. This is my new, updated guess on what we'll see (assuming Noah is ready to go day one):

F-Cheatham/Agba

F-Kretzer/Gladden/Jackson

C-Forsythe/Johnson

G-Williams/McAdams/Ivey

G-Robotham/Jackson/Walters

Redshirt - Olojapoke

I know there will be those in favor of starting both Antino and Noah, but I don't think KD will go that way. If they both start you're relying on Josh Williams to run backup point guard, and I think they view him as a little more of a 2 on this team. I also look at what KD has done with Middleton, Diggs, Deji, and a few others and think he like's an energy guy off the bench 5-6 minutes into the game. I do think Antino and Noah will play a lot together and may even finish games together, I just don't think they both start.

I'm excited to see what Pat Forsythe will do as a senior. I am amazed at how much better he played this season and how he stepped up when we lost Tree. He's developed some nice post moves and could have a really great senior season.

I'm hoping Pat being back to full health will open up the inside/outside game a little more for Jake and Reggie. They've both been great Zips and I'd love to see them go out with a championship. I'd like to see Reggie try to evolve his game a bit more and take more mid-range jumpers. He's an outstanding shooter and I'd like higher percentage shots from him.

Big Dog needs to try to work on his conditioning, although I'm not sure it's realistic for a drastic change. His biggest issues are finishing around the rim and avoiding frustration fouls, which should both improve with experience.

Kwan needs to develop his inside game a little more. I appreciate that he can shoot from deep, but he doesn't take advantage of his size and length nearly enough. I think he ran out of gas toward the end of the year and I expect him to be one of the most improved going into next year.

BJ Gladden, Aaron Jackson, Peter Agba, and Jimond Ivey are the wild cards. I honestly expected bigger things from BJ this year, but he might not fully break out until next season. Aaron plays with great energy, but he has too many in front of him on the depth chart. You can tell by Ivey's Twitter feed that he's a confident young man, but it'll be a crowded backcourt to get PT with. Finally, Peter Agba. The coaches are really high on this kid and he could be an impact player off of the bench immediately. Adding another big to the rotation will be great for this team.

As for the coaches, I hope they take some time and spend it with their families. It's been a tough year for KD, losing Dan Peters and his father having medical issues - I hope he at least takes a little time away before he starts the grind back up for 2015-2016. I hope the entire coaching staff does as well - they deserve it.

Overall, I'm incredibly excited for next year. This is a high character bunch in the mold of KD's early teams. I'd even go as far as to say I think we beat Buffalo and Central Michigan if we are playing on equal rest. We weren't, of course, and UB and CMU both earned that rest by taking care of business during the regular season, but the hits this team took and how close they STILL came to another championship game goes to show you how talented this team really is.

Here's to each of our players working hard this offseason, staying healthy, and getting back to The Dance in 2016!

How do you get to a 9 to 10 man rotation? I think we need another red shirt.

Posted this in another thread but it kinda belongs here as well...

Intra-squad scrimmages are going to be epic this summer & fall. Our guys are literally going to face tougher competition in the intra-squad scrimmages than we will with most of our opponents next season. Look at these lineups:

G Noah............................Antino

G Josh Williams...............IV

W Reggie.........................Kretzer

F Kwan............................Agba (The Man-Child Warrior)

C Pat...............................Big Dog

6 AJ.................................BJ

Edit: Got ahead of myself; forgot Noah won't be fully healthy till maybe November/December.

Edit #2: Redshirt: Olojapoke