BSU @ Zips 1-27-15

Hilltopper

***PLEASE use purple text when posting in this thread***

Zips nine and a half point favorites.

Ball State (7-10, 2-4 MAC) at Akron (13-6, 4-2 MAC) Television: None.

Webcast and Live Stats: Available at GoZips.com – webcast and live statistics free of charge.
Radio: Akron-IMG Sports Network – SportsRadio 1350 AM (WARF) in Akron (flagship) and for free at GoZips.com/TuneIn. Steve French (play-by-play) and Joe Dunn (analyst) will have the call beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET.
The Akron-Ball State Series: Akron leads the series 19-15 and is riding an 11-game winning streak. The Zips are 11-5 in Akron, winning the last seven games. UA swept the season series last year, including a 73-46 win at the JAR on Jan. 29, 2014. Akron's last loss at BSU came on March 8, 2004, in the opening round of the MAC Tournament (76-72).
ForPetesSake.jpeg

Pregame story from ABJ.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-men-s-basketball-zips-looking-to-build-on-gutsy-road-win-1.561537

Interesting bit on Big Dog. Apparently the big fella is just naturally a bit injury prone.

“He’s partially back,” Dambrot said of Johnson. “He tweaked his knee a little bit [Monday], so he’s still a bit injury prone, but he played good.”

I think this is awesome, what a way to honor Dan Peters. I am more than OK with the Zips wearing purple for a day.

PurpleOutGraphic.png

I absolutely love this! What a wonderful thing to do in honor of coach peters. After the game (and season, whenever they're not planning to wear the jereseys anymore) they should auction the jerseys to raise money for research like they did last year for the Lady's Pink jerseys.

Zips didn't appear to be too motivated against BSU, which led me to not be motivated to post from the JAR. Zips couldn't shoot, pass or hold on to the ball in the first half. They finally showed some energy in the second half and restored order. It was good to see Pat and Reggie playing, and Pat was especially good considering all those stitches he had, hitting 6-8 from the field and 5-6 free throws. I continue to be impressed with Aaron's progress. He plays with a lot of energy on both offense and defense and is making fewer mistakes as he gets more minutes.

Zips didn't appear to be too motivated against BSU, which led me to not be motivated to post from the JAR. Zips couldn't shoot, pass or hold on to the ball in the first half. They finally showed some energy in the second half and restored order. It was good to see Pat and Reggie playing, and Pat was especially good considering all those stitches he had, hitting 6-8 from the field and 5-6 free throws. I continue to be impressed with Aaron's progress. He plays with a lot of energy on both offense and defense and is making fewer mistakes as he gets more minutes.

I think it was a combination of both....Zips played poor and Testicle Tech came out and took away their strength. I thought in the 1st half, they defended the perimeter very well and UA missed a lot of bunnies.

I am very impressed with this defense. I don't remember a team that played this much in your face D and was good....(except for Nyles).

One player that I love watching is Aaron Jackson. He brings so much energy. I cant believe he is only a freshman.

I wondered whether Reggie's breakout game of 31 points would make him a consistent scorer. Got my answer tonight. His first touch on the ball was a quick 3 and then rattled two more 3 point shots and did not score. I was hoping that he would do more that attempt three pointers.

Heard the post game show and KD specifically mentioned Aron Jackson. He played with a lot of energy tonight and was fun to watch. Took an offensive foul. Really plays with enthusiasm and a lot of guts. I think he will be getting more time.

We really had a difficult time in the first half. Ball State was packing it in the middle and closing off the driving lanes. We missed a lot of 3 pointers early in the game and had a lot of misses. Pat's first shot was a missed layup. I think we had only 7 points in the first 10 minutes.

Pat really played great after a difficult first half. He seemed to have trouble holding onto the ball. I think he was a little rusty after missing a game. Played a great 2nd half. Good win for the Zips after a poor first half.

Oops, I said it was good to see Pat and Reggie playing when I meant Pat and Jake. Nothing against Reggie, but it was Jake's health that we had the little scare about. Reggie's long ball was off early, and he apparently got discouraged and took only 3 shots in his 19 minutes. Noah's long ball was also off early, and he just kept right on shooting his way to a 1-10 on 3-pointers for the game. :eek: As a team the Zips were a terrible 7-26 on 3s and a respectable 16-29 on 2s.

In Noah's defense, a couple of those 3 balls were at the end of the game when we were killing clock and he forced them up with a couple seconds left on the clock. That being said, this team would play better if they would stop shooting so many 3 balls and try to work for a better shot or throw the ball into Pat or Big Dog. I think Reggie is a better player when he does more than shoot the 3.

I watched Kwan during the half time break shoot about 15 3 balls and made about 10 of them. I knew his first shot in the second half was going to be a 3. It was, he missed. He shot only 1 of 5 tonight. However, he played good defense and had 7 rebounds. He had improved his defense so much from last year.

• Like 1

Not sure what it was with the crowd last night, perhaps the pre-game sentimentality took some of the fire out of both the team and the crowd, but everything seemed subdued.

There were times when it was like a practice, for both teams. No crowd noise. (I'd say ZIP, but that would be redundant)

From the time Pat missed the very first lay-up, thru the tic-tac-DOH, everyone seemed lethargic.

Even the students sitting behind the baskets were leaving early.

Very frustrating to see people walking out with 7 min left.

Not trying to "out" anyone, but there are some people that sit "someplace" on the floor, who haven't seen the end of one game this year.

I'm glad we won, but it could go down as one of most disinterested crowds in JAR history.

*Now moved to correct thread*

Not sure what it was with the crowd last night, perhaps the pre-game sentimentality took some of the fire out of both the team and the crowd, but everything seemed subdued.

There were times when it was like a practice, for both teams. No crowd noise. (I'd say ZIP, but that would be redundant)

From the time Pat missed the very first lay-up, thru the tic-tac-DOH, everyone seemed lethargic.

Even the students sitting behind the baskets were leaving early.

Very frustrating to see people walking out with 7 min left.

Not trying to "out" anyone, but there are some people that sit "someplace" on the floor, who haven't seen the end of one game this year.

I'm glad we won, but it could go down as one of most disinterested crowds in JAR history.

*Now moved to correct thread*

You do realize that the score was 15-7 eleven minutes in to the game right? There wasn't exactly a whole lot to be excited about.

As far as leaving early, with the game in the bag and 2 mins to go....yes, I left early. Up 15 points that seemed like a good time to leave with my daughter on a school night.