Anyone Else Notice This?

Blue & Gold

Did anyone else notice this?

Five years ago there were two great power forwards playing ball in Akron - Darius Carter at Firestone & Larry Nance Jr. @ Revere.

The Zips passed on both in favor of Nick Harney & Demetrius Treadwell (not dissing on Tree; he's one of my favorite all-time Zips).

For what should be their senior years, Nick Harney's playing D-II & Tree's playing in Argentina while Larry Nance Jr. is the leader of recent AP Top 25-ranked Wyoming (18-4) and Darius Carter is a leader for AP#12 Wichita State (19-3).

Imagine both those homeboys wearing blue & gold. Ouch.

Five years ago there were two great power forwards playing ball in Akron - Darius Carter at Firestone & Larry Nance Jr. @ Revere.

The Zips passed on both in favor of Nick Harney & Demetrius Treadwell (not dissing on Tree; he's one of my favorite all-time Zips).

For what should be their senior years, Nick Harney's playing D-II & Tree's playing in Argentina while Larry Nance Jr. is the leader of recent AP Top 25-ranked Wyoming (18-4) and Darius Carter is a leader for AP#12 Wichita State (19-3).

That's assuming they would have chosen Akron despite getting offers from Wichita State and Wyoming.

• Like 2

Darius Carter was recruited heavily by KD and McFadden. He couldn't get the grades at FHS and they gave up on him. That is also the reason he went to JUCO and then ended up at Wichita St.

EDIT: For what it's worth, Geno wanted him at Can't too and stopped recruiting him and shifted their focus to Mark Henniger from Jackson and KD went after Josh Egner.... Darius was never going to be a MAC player.

Thanks B&G for picking up the thread I opened back about six weeks ago when the Diamond Head Classic was here on-island -- with Darius Carter's Wichita Shockers, AND as I pointed out at the time, (possibly, I'm not certain) Carter's one-time Firestone teammate (he had quite a tortuous high school career, as he moved about three times and was declared ineligible by the OHSAA), Evan Payne now at Loyola Marymount where he averages 18 ppg in what should be considered a high-major conference, the WCC. Here was Payne's weekend exploit, taking his team on his back (yet again) to win in overtime: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/01/31/payne-scores-23-lifts-loyola-marymount-past-pacific-in-ot/

FWIW, I had a chance to speak with Evan after the tournament, and I can vouch for the fact that he is homesick for Akron. Maybe I can start a rumor, akin to last year's "Nance looking to transfer" rumor...!

Thanks B&G for picking up the thread I opened back about six weeks ago when the Diamond Head Classic was here on-island -- with Darius Carter's Wichita Shockers, AND as I pointed out at the time, (possibly, I'm not certain) Carter's one-time Firestone teammate (he had quite a tortuous high school career, as he moved about three times and was declared ineligible by the OHSAA), Evan Payne now at Loyola Marymount where he averages 18 ppg in what should be considered a high-major conference, the WCC. Here was Payne's weekend exploit, taking his team on his back (yet again) to win in overtime: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/01/31/payne-scores-23-lifts-loyola-marymount-past-pacific-in-ot/

FWIW, I had a chance to speak with Evan after the tournament, and I can vouch for the fact that he is homesick for Akron. Maybe I can start a rumor, akin to last year's "Nance looking to transfer" rumor...!

Payne was not on the team at Firestone when Darius was there.