Bulls @ Zips 2-7-15

Big E Zip

Akron had to play well tonight to win. Buffalo is a good team. Buffalo struggled at the end and you have to wonder if they got tired because they only played 8 guys.

I really like how we scored from the paint tonight, especially in the first half. We kept on attacking the basket and that is why we had 26 foul shots tonight as opposed to 6 at Ohio. Numerous times we had the ball under the basket and we took the ball straight up instead of passing outside the paint. It looked like KD made scoring inside a priority. I hope that we continue to work the ball in the paint. Pat missed some easy shots but still played well. Big Dog pounded the ball low.

It was also nice to see the balanced scoring with 5 guys scoring 9 or more points

We also got lucky in that one of the refs, the small guy, was calling touch fouls. He called some against Buffalo at the end of the game that were questionable. We didn't make the foul shots so I guess it was a wash.

Great game to watch. Looking forward to Can't State.

Honestly, after the first few minutes of the game, I thought the Zips were toast. UB's starting 5 players are all quick, athletic and relentless. They blew by the Zips at will, won most of the scrambles for loose balls and generally made the Zips look slow and overmatched. I had forgotten about the one Zips advantage that really came into play late in the game. While Coach Dambrot rotated in wave after wave of fresh players, UB's 5 starters slowly began losing their physical edge. In the last few minutes you could see the Bulls breathing harder and moving slower. The Zips sent in fresh players off the bench and the Bulls could no longer blow past them. When they tried taking outside shots many fell short and there were even some air balls. The Bulls had run out of gas. The Zips' deep rotation paid off in this game.

Antino is showing a lot of toughness. He tried to fight threw a pick and went hard to the floor and got right back up. He had 5 rebounds. On one play he got a jump ball by grabbing the ball from a Buffalo player. KD played him with Robatham. KD mentioned that he likes how Antino is picking up a lot of assist. He now has 2 technicals with Kwan leading the team with 3. Before this year I cannot remember the last time an Akron player got a T. Now this team has 5.

Antino is showing a lot of toughness. He tried to fight threw a pick and went hard to the floor and got right back up. He had 5 rebounds. On one play he got a jump ball by grabbing the ball from a Buffalo player. KD played him with Robatham. KD mentioned that he likes how Antino is picking up a lot of assist. He now has 2 technicals with Kwan leading the team with 3. Before this year I cannot remember the last time an Akron player got a T. Now this team has 5.

You must have forgotten about Quincy Diggs.

Had a lot of fun at the JAR tonight...

Offense was very diversified. Zips were able to post up, drive, hit from deep, and get to the line. Possibly some of their best offensive play this season. Excellent job making the extra pass in the post, Pat and Isaiah had excellent games all around. Deji, BJ, and Nyles were able to drive to the rim effectively. Antino and Noah as well. Helped collapse the defense and draw much needed fouls. Seemed like there was a point to drive and draw fouls early, perhaps as a result of the last game. Excellent marksmanship from Jake tonight as well.

Good defensive effort and good job getting to the ball. It was clear they wanted this game badly and rightfully so. In the second half, toward the end of the game, it appeared to me that Nyles was giving absolutely everything he had guarding his man. To me, that is the type of effort that just gets you really amped about a team. Tonight that type of effort was abundant.

Speaking of amped... Thank you True Blue for bringing your passion and energy to Rhodes Arena. I hope this generation of Rowdies learned something tonight about what a student section is, because the Buffalo Students absolutely owned you all. As a Rowdies alumni, it's just embarrassing. I know you guys can do better than your effort so far this season. No better time to prove it than Tuesday!

Beat Can't!

• Like 1

Why all the hate for Bobby Hurley?

Hopefully you now have a better understanding. Simply stated, this guy is a jerk. However, he is in the process of turning this series into a very passionate and entertaining rivalry. Games like this are awesome to play in and awesome for the fans as well.

Loved the play of Antino tonight despite the T that I thought he deserved. This guy was all over the floor and is about fearless as they come. This team is beginning to really grow on me as they are becoming a very tough and gutty bunch. I like that,

Now, about that FT shooting......

Yikes....... just realized that it's almost 4 AM and I'm still amped up.

On the replay, it showed that he was knocked around of the floor, no foul was called, then when he started to get up he literally placed he ball on the Buffalo player. That was it. It is a BS call.

That will get you a T just about every time. It's a provacative gesture ( with or without dialogue) and will considered to be a taunt by the zebras.

Great game last night. Obviously a very good win.

Buffalo's fans were really good. I especially liked when they started the "Ken+ St" Sucks chant.

I now see the hate for Bobby. He is a baby. I was surprised the refs let it go on so long before they gave him the warning. I saw Ryan Isleys (92.3) twitter today and he was tweeting how Bobby stared him down in the hallway and that he was told he can't ask Bobby any questions or Bobby would be pulled from the post game. It started last year when Ryan wrote an article about how the MAC is going to handle his antics. he is a chump.

I am looking forward to Tuesday's game.

Interesting quote from Ryan's story:

Akron head coach Keith Dambrot has been there, so he has an idea of what Hurley is going through in his first year.

“The only advice I would tell him is he has the pedigree and the future to be a star. He could be Shaka Smart,” Dambrot said. “There is no sense in hurting himself. He has to harness the competitiveness. But he can do it. This is his first year as a head coach. I had 14 technicals the first year as a head coach and I was doing it in the NAIA at Tiffin so nobody saw it. I was probably just the same.”