Bulls @ Zips 2-7-15

Big E Zip

This game and the following game against Can't are going to be major factors on how the rest of the season unfolds. The way things are panning out so far this could easily be a season where multiple teams at the top finish with the same record. We have the tie breaker over WMU, BGSU, and CM. Which makes taking the series or at least splitting it with Buffalo and Can't all the more important.

Thinking here that the other four you mention will play themselves out of it but I wouldn't bet on it. This is the big one, we must take down the Canadiens at home because their gym has been a house of horrors for us and for a long time too.

off of a tough loss, I think that we will be primed for a top effort. I respect the Hell out of Buff but think we get the best of them them here

H

I would be very happy to see Li'l Bobby lose it and get a nice T.

He is probably my least favorite basketball player of all time and he is quickly climbing that list for coaching as well. I know most see Can't and OU as our primary rivals but for me personallly there is nobody I love to root against more than UB right now, simply because of their head coach. Before he arrived UB was probably my second favorite team in the East and they may be again once he is gone but something about that guy and his attitude has always (from his Duke playing days till now) irrtated me to no end.

That, of course, doesn't mean that I thought he was a bad player or even is a bad coach (jury still out on that one) and that his abilities shouldn't be respected. I fully expect him to have his team ready to play , and play well, when they come to the JAR.

UB-Akron has developed into a nice little back and forth in recent years. I've been very impressed in how the Zips responded this year after the Treadwell distractions and as happens every year Dambrot has the zips firing away at mid season.

I think this one depends on which Bulls team shows up. We've shown some stinkers (that finish in Athens was horrible), and we've had some games where we look like world beaters (See @Kentucky, vs. Can't Sate).

In the end, I think the Bulls have learned from their road stumbles at Ohio and Western and will pull this one out. It'll be a fun game to watch, and I'm hearing that there is busing for students from UB - so hopefully True Blue can counter the atmosphere at the JAR. I had hoped to make the drive myself, but family commitments are going to keep me here in Buffalo. Very much looking forward to getting the Zips up to Alumni on the 24th - zips fans can take solace in the fact that Alumni hasn't just been a tough place for the zips to play - UB is undefeated at home this year, and has won 23 of the 24 home games since Bobby took over the program.

GO BULLS!

Hate is way too strong a word.

He's that little kid who always got his way and does a really great pout when he doesn't.

I actually enjoy his show at the JAR because it energizes the U of A fans.

And I'd still love to see him get a T. ;)

Bobby has certainly settled down since last year. He's still storming around the sidelines, but has learned where to push and where to let it go. While he was T'd up on a regular basis last year, that hasn't been the case this year. I love his intensity but got frustrated last year when he'd lose it and take a T that would cost the team. This year - he'll let the refs know when he's not pleased, but has re-focused that energy into coaching and strategy.

Love hearing from the opponents fan base. i think its terrific that the school is sending down students. That makes for a great atmosphere and great game. It's a biggie,( and as Steve French would say), there's no doubt about it.

I do think though that Hurley is a little rat that would push his own mother out of the way to get to the cheese. To be honest, I think he's got some issues upstairs. Can't argue with his coaching results though

Bring back Reggie damn it !

Seriously though. I established the Bulls to be the team to beat early on and they have done nothing to change my opinion. When I saw how tough they played Wisconsin for about 30 minutes it blew me away at how good this team could be if they realize their potential.

Can't wait for this one. I'm stoked

The Zips are favored to win by three.

The game is onTime Warner Cable SportsChannel & ESPN3.

Deji Ibitayo has more double-figure scoring performances in his last 30 games (15) than he had in his previous 60 games (5).

Akron is 32-5 at home in league play since the start of the 2011 MAC schedule. A victory will be the eighth-straight win at JAR for the Zips.

There have only been two road winning streaks in the series, both posted by Akron (3-0, 1977-78 and 1998). More at go zips dot com.

Contests don't get much better than this at the JAR. One big thing I'll be following tonight is whether KD chooses to shorten his bench as the season hits the stretch run. He has said many times that it makes it harder to coach with 11 playing significant minutes. If he continues to play 11, maybe we'll see more pressure defense, especially when we go "small" with BJ and Aaron both on the court?

Zips 73

Bulls 71

I think my favorite Hurley entertainment is when I've seen him yelling back and forth with the Zips fans sitting behind his bench. When a guy has that kind of demeanor, the fans will feed on it. He asks for it himself.

Tonight, when he starts storming out on the court after officials, and pointing out Zips players, he'll get the crowd going.

Wasn't there an incident with him and Quincy? Does anyone else remember that?

I remember last year that he really put on a show and it was entertaining. I am almost regretting that he has toned it down last year. He got a technical last year and he could not contain his emotions the whole game.

The students really got on him with the chant: Bobby's going to cry. Looking forward to the game tonight.

Yeah, I do recall and loved all the abuse "hurled" his way that he couldn't seem to escape or ignore. 99.9 % of coaches let it go but Bobby is the poster boy for the 0.01% that you can get into his head. Dude's wrapped a little too tight and is just one classic insult away from the epic total meltdown.

Mrs Hurley, upon seeing her newborn baby boy Bobby: " This is only half baked. Could you please just send it back" ?

There was an incident last year with Hurley and Q. It was only a few minutes into the game it was either on the media timeout or a UB timeout, where Hurley got in Q's face as he was walking back to the bench. I think I remember Q saying Hurley was trash talking him while the game was being played as well.

These two teams are about as different as you can get. It's a classic matchup of a team that relies heavily on outside shooting against a team focused on scoring inside. The Zips are #4 in the country in percentage of total points per game scored on 3-point shooting while UB is #295. Those who obsess over the Zips relying too much on the 3 and wish for more inside scoring and trips to the free throw line will likely go nuts if the Bulls' inside game trumps the Zips' outside game at the JAR tonight.

The most ironic comparison is that these two very different teams have exactly the same true shooting percentage (2-point, 3-point and free throw shooting combined) at 53.0%. They're also almost identical in points per possession, 1.06 for the Zips and 1.07 for the Bulls. So the the two teams basically arrive at the same scoring results in completely different ways. Which is better? The one that wins, of course. ;)

These two teams are about as different as you can get. It's a classic matchup of a team that relies heavily on outside shooting against a team focused on scoring inside. The Zips are #4 in the country in percentage of total points per game scored on 3-point shooting while UB is #295. Those who obsess over the Zips relying too much on the 3 and wish for more inside scoring and trips to the free throw line will likely go nuts if the Bulls' inside game trumps the Zips' outside game at the JAR tonight.

The most ironic comparison is that these two very different teams have exactly the same true shooting percentage (2-point, 3-point and free throw shooting combined) at 53.0%. They're also almost identical in points per possession, 1.06 for the Zips and 1.07 for the Bulls. So the the two teams basically arrive at the same scoring results in completely different ways. Which is better? The one that wins, of course. ;)

DiG, this is by far your most insightful and concisely written analysis ever! Kudos.

Go Zips!

Can we get some defense out of the Big Dog tonight? This would seem to be an important part to stopping UBs offense. Can't have Pat shouldering that burden. And this doesn't relieve the responsibility of the smaller guys either. Shutting down entry passes can be just as big of a factor in stopping someone's inside game.

Can we get some defense out of the Big Dog tonight? This would seem to be an important part to stopping UBs offense. Can't have Pat shouldering that burden. And this doesn't relieve the responsibility of the smaller guys either. Shutting down entry passes can be just as big of a factor in stopping someone's inside game.

Big Dog has a chance to become a very good player. It's all on him to fill those shoes and walk the walk. He's got the tools,, but the fire??