Can't @ Akron 2-10-15

UAZipster0305

+1. I've been saying this forever.

I don't want to imply anything, but could the real problem be that participation in the organization has just waned over the last several years? Maybe some "older" people are still leading the group because younger people have not been willing to step up and take more responsibility?

I don't know, but maybe we should be thanking these older people for trying to keep this thing alive.

And I don't know any of them, just to be clear. Sure, new leadership may be the answer, but we need to know why things are the way they are before we can solve the problem.

What people seen to not understand is that team timeouts are loosely scripted during the game. Sometimes it is PA announcements or the band or the dance team etc. When it seem like the band is coming in right at the whistle, it is because they got the green light to play from whoever controls the game. It also depends on what kind of timeout it is, whether it is "hot" or "cold" sometimes has an impact on what happens during the games. Even though they are loosely scripted they DO change according to the situation. If they were going to blast Zombie Nation, they would have told the band not to play well before the timeout happened. In regard to ends of songs, the band is TOLD to play until the refs whistle out of the dead ball.

If all of you people want the crowd to be more effective it cant turn into a blame game. When a chant starts get off your butt and chant even if you are not a student. When the Band plays the fight song or another cheer, actually clap and cheer. Cheer with the cheerleaders and dance team. It isn't rocket science encourage others to stand up around you and eventually people will come around. That is how you build tradition. We all root for the same team. We need to work together instead of blame other groups.

• Like 1

Something needs to give regarding the AK-Rowdies. They are downright pathetic. I think a change in leadership is needed. The same guys who are currently in charge were in charge when I was in school, and to be honest I wasn't much of a fan.

Are they making a career out of being a student or what?

100% not true. The guys in charge years ago are not in charge now. Some, do, however show up. At least to the bigger games. We all wish more students, faculty, staff, alumni and the community would show up. For some reason, there is and probably always will be an excuse why folks do not...

• Like 1

Something needs to give regarding the AK-Rowdies. They are downright pathetic. I think a change in leadership is needed. The same guys who are currently in charge were in charge when I was in school, and to be honest I wasn't much of a fan.

Are they making a career out of being a student or what?

They aren't in charge, they just still come to the games and sit down with the Rowdies.

When a chant starts get off your butt and chant even if you are not a student. When the Band plays the fight song or another cheer, actually clap and cheer. Cheer with the cheerleaders and dance team...encourage others to stand up around you and eventually people will come around.

Please rate the effectiveness of this "strategy"

1 - Very Dissatisfied_____2 - Dissatisfied_____3 - Neutral_____4 - Satisfied_____5 - Very Satisfied_____N/A

"It's easy to do nothing. It takes hard work and creativity to do something great." --Dr Z

michaeljordan_makeithappen.jpg

I don't want to imply anything, but could the real problem be that participation in the organization has just waned over the last several years? Maybe some "older" people are still leading the group because younger people have not been willing to step up and take more responsibility?

I don't know, but maybe we should be thanking these older people for trying to keep this thing alive.

And I don't know any of them, just to be clear. Sure, new leadership may be the answer, but we need to know why things are the way they are before we can solve the problem.

The problem is culture.

If all of you people want the crowd to be more effective it cant turn into a blame game. When a chant starts get off your butt and chant even if you are not a student. When the Band plays the fight song or another cheer, actually clap and cheer. Cheer with the cheerleaders and dance team. It isn't rocket science encourage others to stand up around you and eventually people will come around. That is how you build tradition. We all root for the same team. We need to work together instead of blame other groups.

I agree with you here. Two years ago during the streak we had good energy in the crowd. I remember a home game against Buffalo where we were down 16 early in the first half, yet the crowd got into it and cheered the team on. The same people are at the games as they were two years ago. The team needs more support from everyone, not just the students.

• Like 1

There were a few older people in the student section down low for the Can't game that are alumni that just sat down there for the big game. I was one of them.

I've been to most of the games this year sitting in my season ticket seats, but due to witnessing some pitiful student output/turnout recently, I figured I'd help out. I'm sure the other guys felt the same and hell, maybe we all just want to relive our glory days... sorry! :CK_brew::rock:;)

But seriously...to be honest, there ARE some serious issues with passing the torch. I don't think it's entirely the new leadership's fault, but partially the University. In the past there were some seriously rowdy people that would push the boundaries at games, and now everyone pretty much falls into line and is terrified of the faculty who they report to. I think the group has been essentially neutered by a few people who don't really understand the point of the group and/or don't have any sense of humor.

Maybe somebody with some balls needs to be elected into Rowdies leadership or something, but currently I feel like there is no camaraderie and edge to the group.

I also agree with the comment that we as fans need to stop blaming others and just lead by example. I don't know about you guys, but when others are sitting on their hands around me, I'm always vocal, loud, and chanting along. You do it enough and by the end of the game the others will start following. If you're on this site then you're likely a serious fan and a leader...so act like one!

I've sat near the Rowdies section at the Q a couple of times and I really enjoyed chanting along to "Who's your father?"; "You're not Gonna Make It"; and turning the O-H-I-O chant into the Z-I-P-S chant during the Bobcat games. Just one old fart trying to reconnect with my inner student.

I've sat near the Rowdies section at the Q a couple of times and I really enjoyed chanting along to "Who's your father?"; "You're not Gonna Make It"; and turning the O-H-I-O chant into the Z-I-P-S chant during the Bobcat games. Just one old fart trying to reconnect with my inner student.

I love it too! Just wish we could get more student involvement in those chants.